Do you work out or rest when you're sick?

Options
fmbomzo
fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
I feel like I'm coming down with either a cold or flu-like something. I'm stuffy but sneezing and achy, but not sure if that's from yesterday's lifting or illness.

I didn't do my normal circuit training today. I just took a short brisk walk at work to get some exercise in.

When you're feeling a little sick, how do you gauge when you skip your workouts or just lighten up on the intensity?

Replies

• belinus
    belinus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Rest. Working out can inhibit your recovery from the illness and the illness can inhibit your workout.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If it's above the neck - head congestion, runny nose, etc, as long as there's no fever I'd still workout, although probably less intensely. If it's below the neck - chest congestion, aches all over, I'd skip it and rest up.

Hope you feel better!
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'll take a rest day or two. I am feeling progressively worse. The sockets of my eyes even hurt...lol!!!
  • zoegator
    zoegator Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I suffer from Chronic Bronchitis and I experience an outbreak every 6 months, once in the summer and once in the winter. This summer I AVOIDED it with the use of exercise and a good combo of medicines. I've never exercised while sick before, but this time I did and I overcame it in less than a week, compared to 2-3 weeks like usual.

I find that it opened up my airways to do some cardio. Obviously, at lower intensity than usual, but something and after the first 5-10 minutes, it wasn't painful or sore to be on the treadmill or on the elliptical.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It depends on how sick I am. I try to do shorter, low-impact workout, but if my body says no I stay in bed. Resting when needed is just as important to losing weight as exercise!