Stiff Person Syndrome? Heard of it?

Options
I have a friend who was just diagnosed with it. I guess it causes you to lose muscle? This is what she say's. She say's she's already lost muscle from it. But If I understand what I googled, it's stiffening of the muscles. Spasms.... And that's kinda in line with the name. But she's the one with the desease so I figure she should know. So, I ask her to work out. My theory being that if she's going to see muscle degeneration she should try to get as much on as she can, while she can. She said the doctor told her walking was good. She said her husband( He's alway's coming up with some dumb junk cause he burnt his brain out on drugs soooo) said the worst thing she could do was lift weights.Somewhere. She got on my treadmill for about 15 min. with it set on warm up. Messed around with 5 lb dumb bells a little. She was sore. I figure it was from her workout. She doesn't move around much. She doesn't want to do any weight training because she thinks the soreness is from the desease. And it might be. She hasn't been back on the treadmil either. If any one knows anything about this desease I would love to hear from you. I'd like to learn more about it since it's going to be a part of my life to.

Replies

• splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Are you still friends with the SPS friend?
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I googled it. It doesn't sound like what your friend has imo.

"Stiff person syndrome (SPS) is a rare, progressive syndrome that affects the nervous system, specifically the brain and spinal cord. Symptoms may include extreme muscle stiffness, rigidity and painful spasms in the trunk and limbs, severely impairing mobility. Spasms can generate enough force to fracture bone. People with SPS often have heightened sensitivity to noise, sudden movements, and emotional distress, which can set off muscle spasms. Persistent symptoms can lead to abnormal posturing of the spine, such as being hunched over. The syndrome affects twice as many women as men.

SPS is caused by increased muscle activity due to decreased inhibition of the central nervous system. It is thought to have an autoimmune component and is often associated with diabetes, as well as other autoimmune diseases such as thyroiditis, vitiligo, and pernicious anemia.[1][2] It may be diagnosed after having various tests including blood tests (including a test showing elevated glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD) antibodies), a lumbar puncture, and electromyography. Treatment aims to control symptoms and improve mobility, and may involve benzodiazepines, muscle relaxants, and/or intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG).[1][2] While some people with SPS may maintain reasonable levels of activity with treatment, the majority become disabled over time.[2]"
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Why would this thread be randomly reactivated after SIX years? How do you find a thread that’s been silent for that long??😲
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, which means I am always in some level of pain. I also get stiff joints that can make walking difficult. But one of the recommendations from the medical community is to exercise every day to the extent I can. The woman in the posting should be able to do some swimming or water aerobics.
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Why would this thread be randomly reactivated after SIX years? How do you find a thread that’s been silent for that long??😲
    Good grief! I didn't realise that when I responded!

\

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options

:lol: the same way my dolphin thread from 2008 was resurrected? Boggles.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    cowleyl wrote: »
    Good grief! I didn't realise that when I responded!

\

How DID you find it??