How gnarly are/were your feet, before weight loss?

Options
LinaBo
LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
I'm hoping that I am not alone in the "Gnarly Foot Club," and that there is hope for when I finally get to my goal weight. I am currently at 267 lbs (highest was 279 lbs), and have never been a truly fit adult. So, that said, my feet have always been gnarly to some extent, with dry, thickened skin, deeper-looking nail beds (at the sides, especially, likely due to the pressure on my toes from the extra weight), fat toes, and other general grossness/wear and tear.

So, for people who need to lose a lot of weight, how gnarly have your feet gotten? Do you ever remember them not being so?

For the people who have lost a lot of weight already, how much have your feet improved?

Replies

• fluffeesquirrel
    fluffeesquirrel Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've also wondered about this because I realized the condition of my feet deteriorated with weight gain after the fact... interested in the replies!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I have never been overweight, but my feet used to be VERY gnarly when I danced ballet en pointe.

There's not much uglier than a ballerina's feet.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    ive lost 82lb and my feet have improved, dont get me wrong the hard skin is still there but dramatically improved on what it used to be, it also seems that i have lost weieght from them i have gone from being in a wider fit shoe to being able to just buy normal fit ones, and before when i wore heels they would get worn out after a couple of times wearing them, now they are wearing down at a normal rate (hope that makes sense)
  • kelectrique
    Options
    My feet as super yuck, mostly because I neglect them, much like the rest of my body most of the time LOL. Hoping to change that this summer once I'm a few pounds lighter. Might be to do with increased confidence that comes with weight loss that we put more effort into our feet :)
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My feet are actually worse now since I am doing more running. I was really good at sitting on my bottom with my feet up when I was heavier. LOL.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    my feet look great but only because I am annoyingly over taking care of them... We live in Arizona currently so if I let them go even a day they would start to dry out... I use a foot scrub and a tool to scrape any dead or dry skin off and then use a body butter on them nightly and also do a weekly pedicure and manicure !!!!!
  • tracy337
    tracy337 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I had horrid feet when I was at my heaviest. I had No nail on my pinkie toe (I am pretty sure there was one just could not see it or it was a small sliver) my skin was so dry and caloused my heals would crack and peal really bad. It was just ughh. I thought that I was just one that didn't have pretty feet. But now that I have lost a bit, my feet are sooo pretty!! They are thinner, I no longer need wide in my shoes. I can fit into flip flops finally and my toes are thinner and I have a nail that can not only be seen, but that now needs regular trimming :) The dryness and cracks are gone and my feet are no longer dried out and my calouses are gone. I love getting pedi's now and love having pretty polish on my toes. And even better, I can REACH them so much easier now to take care of them and I don't break out in a sweet just to trim them lol
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I totally get the "no nail" pinkie toe thing! Mine point upward, and forget painting them!

I wish it were as easy as just buffing and moisturizing the heck out of my feet, but it only gets rid of about 20%, just the absolute scaliest of skin. The rest has thickened and is gross, but still seems to be alive enough that it won't slough off. After a couple of days, my feet are back to their super-fugly square one.

I've known people who have feet as soft as the palms of their hands, but I suppose that could be from not hitting the pavement much in their lives. Some of them are skinny enough, but none of them are what I would call fit (and I want to be FIT).
  • hh6roberts2012
    Options
    My feet look fine. But oh boy do I feel them. Lol and its just been the past year.. I gained a lot of weight and that was one of my wakeup calls... I work at a day care and we I found myself wanting to just sit down because it felt like my feet were just being crushed.. just took me awhile to realize it was my own weight causing the pain.
    I now always try and stay on my feet. Keeping up with the kids is just another incentive.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    My feet kind of look the same but I did go down a size. I thought it was vanity sized shoes or I was going crazy but all my old shoes are too big too. I went from an 8 to a 7/7.5