How do I stop eating 6,000 calories??

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I like you. There's no excuse for sloth and gluttony and trying to persuade someone to make the choices that shouldn't even be choices is ridiculous.

She was not looking for persuasion, which you would see if you read the thread. She is new at this and was trying to get a feel for whether 1500 calories of so was do-able. And if her diary and follow up posts is anything to go by, she has taken the suggestions on how to eat better and has adapted her intake.

I am not necessarily a believer in sugar coating advice or even that giving someone a 'kick up the backside' is not often warranted, but I really cannot see how this post could be construed as positive in any way shape or form.
  • Ri024
    Ri024 Posts: 24
    Options
    refugees1.jpg

volunteer.
    work at a soup kitchen.

Change your priorities.

you dont need that much food. there is a point when someone just starts eating recreationally and that shows that their priorities are truly sadly, 'making my own self happy because i dont care'.

I wish you determination.

How do you know I don't already do all of these things? It is extremely judgmental of you to assume that I don't do things for others just because I over eat. You don't need to dye your hair blonde or wear make up, but no one is telling you what to do in those areas of your life...
  • nancyki
    nancyki Posts: 46
    Options
    Check the portion sizes on your selections. That is a heck of a lot of calories in one day.
  • hheater
    hheater Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I suggest checking http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    and going by their calorie reccomendations.

This. Don't necessarily go by what MFP tells you...figure out what it is for yourself by looking at a couple different calculators. I like fitnessfrog.com too. :)
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request!

To the people who are being judgmental, I'm betting that most of them didn't log a 'typical' day for them before they started here at MFP. Having looked at your diary for the day that you started, it looks like a pretty typical day for me before I became aware of what I was putting in my body.

Well done for the past couple days, as well! It really is just a matter of eating more protein/fiber to fill you up, and slowly weaning yourself off of all the sugar-filled foods that we tend to become addicted to. Not that you can't have them EVER, just in moderation. :)
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Wow. Just... Wow... How do you eat 6000 calories in a day without getting sick?
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

To the people who are being judgmental, I'm betting that most of them didn't log a 'typical' day for them before they started here at MFP.
    Well done for the past couple days, as well! It really is just a matter of eating more protein/fiber to fill you up, and slowly weaning yourself off of all the sugar-filled foods that we tend to become addicted to. Not that you can't have them EVER, just in moderation. :)

I agree. It would not be that difficult to reach 6000 calories if you are eating high calorie foods.You have taken on board the suggestions that people have made and there is a remarkable difference in your diary for the last few days. Good luck with your weight loss.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Wow. Just... Wow... How do you eat 6000 calories in a day without getting sick?
    You can't tell me you haven't had at least one day in your life where you ate a shytload of crappy food loaded with calories. You just weren't aware how many calories it really was because you weren't managing your intake at the time. It's easier to do than you think. If it were difficult, there wouldn't be so many people who have gained weight trying to lose it.
  • shoobz
    shoobz Posts: 119
    Options
    Wow, for a forum for people who are trying to lose weight, people are awfully judgmental. A few short months ago, I was depressed, and could probably have easily eaten 6 or 7 or even 8000 calories in a day. Food just tastes good, ok?

But LOOK how far she's come, people! As soon as she realised her mistakes, she righted them and now she's doing GREAT. Judging someone for their short-lived ignorance is not cool. Get over yourselves. You weren't all born skinny with perfect knowledge of nutrition.
  • tracyjoys
    tracyjoys Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I only looked a few days, but here are my initial thoughts:

Cut fruit down to 2 servings/day - choose low sugar fruits (google it for lots of online info)
    Cut cheese down to 1 serving/day
    Cut nut servings down to 1/day (peanut butter included, it's delicious but also high in fat)
    Cut starches (bread/pasta/rice/corn/potatoes/bananas etc.) down to 2 servings/day (for now!)
    Increase veggies - eat the rainbow of them weekly
    Eat plenty of lean protein, your body can only process 30g of protein at a meal
    Cut out processed foods, sugars, etc. - grocery shop on the perimeter of the store, not down the aisles
    Try cooking with coconut oil - it will actually help reduce your waistlline!
    If you're using protein powder for meal replacement shakes, then have that actually replace a meal, not augment it

As always, the suggestions that people offer here are fantastic! Pick a few that you think you can live with, give them a try and see what happens!

Good luck!
  • tracyjoys
    tracyjoys Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I also guarantee you that I have logged my share of 6,000 calorie days in my lifetime. I will NEVER judge you...just really hoping you find what works best for you and your body/lifestyle. We're all on our own individual journies and come here to support each other.

Anyone that is tearing you down...you don't need 'em! :flowerforyou:
  • niciemetts
    niciemetts Posts: 49
    Options
    i guess i am weird cause i am finding it difficult to eat 1210 a day............plus i am walking 4.6 miles........which burn like 500 calories........i eat till i am full............but i eat alot of protein.......i have bacon if i want..........i love salad.........veggies..........fruit...........i portion my meals when i have say ...........pasta.........i eat whole wheat and then use prego heart smart pasta sauce........i portion it out.............i am not reaching my 1200 even with that...........so i am on the opposite of the spectrum........i am 216 as of now and 5 10 .........my goal weight is 165.................
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    refugees1.jpg

volunteer.
    work at a soup kitchen.

Change your priorities.

you dont need that much food. there is a point when someone just starts eating recreationally and that shows that their priorities are truly sadly, 'making my own self happy because i dont care'.

I wish you determination.

How do you know I don't already do all of these things? It is extremely judgmental of you to assume that I don't do things for others just because I over eat. You don't need to dye your hair blonde or wear make up, but no one is telling you what to do in those areas of your life...

You asked how do I stop, I suggested a couple ideas. that's all. I still wish you the best anyway.
  • niciemetts
    niciemetts Posts: 49
    Options
    6,000 calories in a day??? And you don't exercise??? And you are only 188lbs???

See this is the stuff that ticks me off. I have been eating under 2,000 calories a day AND exercising regulary for years and I can't even get under 200lbs, no where close!!!

I really would like to know why is it that some people can eat so much and not really gain much or nothing at all, while others like me have to basically starve and exercise to death just to drop a freakin pound! {yea, I'm pouting right now!}

i get puffy if i eat my recommended 1200 calories..........and i am 5 10 and 215 right now ...........i'm not judging just saying my personal experience
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am new to this. I put it in most of what I ate today and it is around 5,744 (I cannot remember everything) but this program says my goal should be 1,530.

Is this right? I know I eat more than some other people but is 1,530 really manageable? I am not very active but now I think I should start! Please feel free to send me any advice.

Well if I was you, i'd cut out about 2,000 calories and start there. Jumping that low makes no sense from your starting point. Over time decrease them as you lose weight.

I agree. Try checking out this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less

It has some good advicce about getting started, TDEE.

Good luck on your journey
  • julie10101
    Options
    My trainer does, but he's active all day.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump