TOO HOT!!

Options
So, I'm wondering what people from hot places do for exercise. Recently, my favorite thing to do has been bike riding, but all of a sudden Italy has gotten this heat wave where it's almost 100 degrees all week. The only thing I can think of is swimming, and I've already signed up for a "mom and baby" swim class for the next two weeks, but it's only a half hour long. I also live a half hour away from the pool, so taking another trip later in the afternoon to go swimming again really isn't something I'd want to do. (The pool isn't open for free swim until around 3 in the afternoon, my classes are at 10 AM.

SO any ideas for things I can do to keep myself exercising, but also not fry? I have a one year old that I have to take everywhere with me - I live in a different country than all of my friends and family, so begging a babysitter so I can go to the gym is also not an option. My hubby works 12 hour shifts all day, so no help there either.

Replies

• naasirab
    naasirab Posts: 43
    Options
    I know how you feel, I live in good ol Texas where 100+ temps are the norm and we barely see a winter and autumn doesnt exist. If you can try to go for an early morning jog before the sun comes up, or purchase some work out DVD's you can do at home. I've never tried them but I here great things about PX90 and Insanity you can always give those a try.
  • JennMarieFitz
    JennMarieFitz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm originally from Washington State, and it only reaches these temperatures one week a year there, so I'm really not used to it.
  • greaseswabber
    greaseswabber Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    It's been over 100 for the last couple of weeks in Tucson. I see few people doing strenuous outdoor workouts during the day. It's all in the morning and in the evening. Even close to dark (dawn/dusk) is better than mid day, but I have to bring a flash light to watch for critters. Otherwise it's the pool, or an indoor work out with AC.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    As your hubby works 12 hour shifts, you just need to get up early when it is cooler, and go for a run then. Hubby can look after Baby for an hour or so, You come back, shower, and when baby is napping, you do the same.
    (I did 12 hour shifts when by daughter was a tiny baby I still 12 hour shifts) In the evening when it is cooler you take baby in pram designed for Joggers, and you power walk or run, If Italy is like Spain you'll see lots of people walking of an evening, and so long as you are polite and not at all militant about it, no one will mind you dodging in an out of the crowds. (having a a little baby with you is a good way to make new friends)
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Is there a mall with air conditioning in your area? I suggest putting your baby in a stroller, or carrying your baby with one of those belly pouches, and taking a speed walk around your mall a few times a week. I'd even go to large stores like Walmart/ Target and walk up and down the aisles a few times.
  • JennMarieFitz
    JennMarieFitz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas! Maybe I'll start waking up before the hubby and taking a quick jog. It seems to be already 80 degrees by the time we get up! It's making me miss the good ol' northwest!!! I'd rather run in the rain any day.

I live in Italy next to the worst AF base in the world, so we have a mall on base, but it has NO air conditioning and is tiny. I live almost an hour away from any big Italian store. It's all farmland here.
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    I live in Texas and I say just drink lots of water and exercise outside under a tree. Yeah its hot. Its not gonna stop being hot down here where I live so I just dont pay attention to it or let it get in my way. I wouldnt go jogging out during the midddle of the day though, thats a little too extreme. Just stay in the shade and sweat like a mother****er! :)
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I live in Arizona. I either workout in my house (weights, kettlebells, rowing machine, body weight exercises, etc...) or else outside (running or biking) in the morning or at night. I've gone running and biking in the midday heat too, but I have to decrease the intensity and drink a LOT of water.
  • 1LRoy
    1LRoy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm sensitive to hot temperatures owing to my thyroid condition so I really can't be out doing vigorous exercise when it's 80°+. My apartment has a fitness center, so that's always an option. Mostly I just work out in my living room. I have several different workout DVD's (if you don't have any, consider renting some from Netflix to try before you buy or to always have an assortment available) and I also use EA Sports Active for the Wii.