What country do you live in or hail from AND....

Options
What is a typical breakfast, lunch or dinner for you :) I'm extremely curious and looking for ideas lol.
I'll start.

Im just a Texas girl, no heritage to speak of. White American female. currently living in the Midwest.
my breakfast is usually eggs with avocados or corn tortillas and hot sauce, or oatmeal with nuts and pb2 and butter, or cereal and almond milk. Ground flax seed works it's way in to this meal and sometimes Greek yogurt. Bacon and eggs, waffles. Butter and real maple syrup. I use a lot of hot sauce in my breakfast meals, and while I don't make it any more, I absolutely love biscuits and gravy, I think that's an American dish, eaten a lot as a kid. Mom always had "bisquick" baking mix on hand for breakfast. Though I don't.

Lunch is usually more eggs dishes, or leftovers from the night before. With cheddar or Monterey jack cheese.

Dinner is usually some concoction of stir fry veggies, fajitas, or chopped onions and peppers with meat, potatoes, salads, stews, roasted meats and chicken. sweet potatoes, tilapia and broccoli.

Just curious what others Eat for typical meals, and where you are from or live,and how it influences the foods you eat :)

Just for fun :)

Replies

• logdunne
    logdunne Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Im British, i live in Essex in the UK.

My breakfast is always weetabix, a teaspoon of brown sugar and 150ml semi skimmed milk.
    Lunch is usually a salad when i remember to pack one for work, failing that the shop nearby does fresh lunch pots that average at around 300 cals.

Dinner tends to be meat and veg, so meatloaf or pork steaks in gravy, although I am sneaking in more veggies and fishies these days. - Having said that, this week i am being incredibly lazy by doing M&S fresh meals instead- we have a voucher that needs using up and it is usually a lot fewer calories than if i cook myself!
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Im British, i live in Essex in the UK.

My breakfast is always weetabix, a teaspoon of brown sugar and 150ml semi skimmed milk.
    Lunch is usually a salad when i remember to pack one for work, failing that the shop nearby does fresh lunch pots that average at around 300 cals.

Dinner tends to be meat and veg, so meatloaf or pork steaks in gravy, although I am sneaking in more veggies and fishies these days. - Having said that, this week i am being incredibly lazy by doing M&S fresh meals instead- we have a voucher that needs using up and it is usually a lot fewer calories than if i cook myself!

This is why it's fun for me! :) what is wheetabix? Is that like square wheat cereal? And you top it with brown sugar instead of white, lost most people I know here :) when you say gravy, is it like white gravy made from butter, flour and milk? Thanks ;)
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm from Scotland so I'll give you a typical day around where I live

Breakfast - Roll with fried sliced sausage or potato scone
    Lunch - McDonalds or KFC
    Dinner - Takeaway either Indian, Chinese or Chip shop (deep fried pizza is a fav)
    Snacks - Crisps, biscuits and chocolate
    Drinks - DIET soda (got to be careful of the calories!!)

:laugh:

Not my typical day and not everyone here eats like this but I know people who do!!
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I'm from Scotland so I'll give you a typical day around where I live

Breakfast - Roll with fried sliced sausage or potato scone
    Lunch - McDonalds or KFC
    Dinner - Takeaway either Indian, Chinese or Chip shop (deep fried pizza is a fav)
    Snacks - Crisps, biscuits and chocolate
    Drinks - DIET soda (got to be careful of the calories!!)

:laugh:

Not my typical day and not everyone here eats like this but I know people who do!!

Lol! Never had a potato scone, but sounds delicious! Never heard of deep fried pizza! That has to be loaded with calories lol!
  • ferrytrip
    ferrytrip Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm Irish, live in Minnesota, USA. Breakfast is a multigrain cheerios with 2% milk with Orange juice and coffee. If I'm still hungry maybe a couple of slices of toast - sourdough bread is my favorite. Sometimes I might I have bacon and eggs with toast. I love weetabix but it is so hard to find here.

Lunch can be either soup, sandwhich, noodles or leftovers.

Dinner changes depending on if I'm at work or feeding the kids. Kids always love pizza, I sometimes make spagetti and meatballs, pork chops, tacos, fish, chicken served with either potatoes or rice. Trying to find veggies that the kids eat can be hard.
    Being Irish when I don't have potatoes for a while I feel deprived.
  • logdunne
    logdunne Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You are correct on the weetabix- rectangular wheat cereal biscuity things, that go lovely and mushy with milk :-)
    I always use brown sugar, cos i like the taste.

By gravy I mean brown meaty stuff. Do they have bisto in the US? cos if so, think Bisto.
    What you call white gravy i would call white sauce :-)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I live in Philippines but of mixed Latino-Filipino heritage so in my diary you will find mostly Spanish & Latin American with some Filipino. You don't find typical Filipino foods in my diary except rice as I really don't like most typical foods here plus I need to watch out the high calories but also I'm lessening my rice intake as well.

Anyway my typical days are usually (but not always) consist of:

Breakfast: rice, fried egg & lean meat namely beef, chicken or fish (note: I don't eat pork) with coffee
    Lunch (either one of the ff): chicken wrap, protein shake, chicken sandwich, burritos, tacos, paella, grilled seafoods, 8-10pcs. of sushi
    Dinner (either one of the ff): vegetable salad, lomo saltado, callos, steamed fish
    Snack: COFFEE!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I live in New York so I usually eat...

Breakfast : Eggs, sausage or bacon, and some fruit

Lunch: Usually eating out, typically a salad with some protein and fresh veggies. I'll also have fruit or yogurt around this time.

Dinner: Some kind of meat, fish, or poultry with veggies and maybe a starch.
  • aquitania
    aquitania Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I come from Croatia, live in Germany, but what i eat has nothing to do with those two countries.

Breakfast: rolled oats, fruits, apple sauce, or crisp bread, cottage cheese, vegetables, or when i'm in a hurry a protein shake

Lunch: turkey or chicken breast, vegetables, some kind of grains (quinoa, bulgur, buckwheat, rice, etc), or salad, or when i'm not home, i eat at mensa at the university

Dinner: i usually eat that what i ate for lunch, or just make myself a sandwich made out of vegetables and yummy stuff like cottage cheese, or something like that, i don't know :-)
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Mmmporkrinds Posts: 192
    Options
    Your breakfasts sound excellent. I'm in Wellington, New Zealand. Mostly breakfast is toast: toast with cream cheese, toast with a poached egg and/or smoked salmon, or toast with jam and cheese (which my English grandmother taught me to love). Or muesli (or in winter, porridge). Lunch is often leftovers from evening meal, or soup and bread, or open sandwiches (chicken, rocket, cheese, sprouts are favourite fillings). Favourite dinners include Hainanese chicken rice, warm beef salads, risotto, pasta (household favourite is with puttanesca sauce) and a whole lot of other things
  • Miss_Ever55
    Miss_Ever55 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am Canadian but i recently moved to the UK , I now live in Lancashire England on an average day for me I have ...

Breakfast : a Bagel with light cream cheese and fresh fruit, with a cup of tea , orange juice and my pile of vitamins!

Lunch : can be anything from beans on toast ( having that today) to Leftovers , it's really what's in the fridge that i can make that is under 500 cal!

As for Dinner ( they call it "tea" here) : Tonight i am having on omelette with cream cheese and squash in it and toast, but i also like making curry or Chinese all sorts of stuff I LIVE off of a book called Looneyspoons!

http://www.amazon.com/Looneyspoons-Collection-Janet-Greta-Podleski/dp/0968063152/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340100733&sr=8-1&keywords=looneyspoons+collection

it is amazing!!! Anyway hope that was interesting enough for you ;)
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am from South Africa, here is a typical day

Breakfast - either cereal and milk, or cereal and yoghurt (All bran/Weetbix/Special K or something called Pro Nutro)
    Lunch - at the moment usually salad and some sort of cold meat. Today I had left over cauliflower curry and 2 chicken vienna sausages
    Supper - tonight will be mince and veggies although the rest of the family will have rice, otherwise it is usually meat, veggies, gravy (brown as above)

There is however a host of other more traditional food I could eat, but most is high fat, lol
  • jenjay76
    jenjay76 Posts: 42
    Options
    I am in Minnesota USA

Breakfast is usually a cup of coffee and a peanut butter sandwich or 2 hard boiled eggs.
    Lunch is usually a turkey sandwich with spicy brown mustard or oatmeal (oatmeal fills me up more so I have been having that more often now.
    Dinner is usually 4 oz of meat, a veg and rice (not a big potato fan anymore so if we're having that I just have meat and a veg)

I have lost 103 lbs so far so this seems to work for me. I also have an elliptical I try to use everyday :)
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm Jamaican.

Breakfast may be friend plantains or boiled yam, boiled banana with callaloo (greens) or ackee and saltfish (salted cod/bacalao). Porridges: oats, cornmeal, plantain, banana, peanut
    Others have the regular eggs etc.

Lunch: Patties, rice and peas with chicken/oxtail/mutton/curried chicken, with fresh or steam veg

Dinner: Boiled yam, dumpling, potato, sweet potato. Chicken foot soup, red peas (kidney bean) soup, various stews, tin foods with rice. Fried fish with a spicy pickle of onions, carrots, hot peppers in vinegar poured over served with festival (a deep friend cornmeal dumpling)

We also have most fast food joints: KFC, BK, Popeyes, Chinese, Indian, Wendys...but those are for on the road convenience or lazy evening dont-wanna-cook days.

We're a diverse people who LOVE our food so this isnt even scratching the surface :)
  • acpgranberg
    acpgranberg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm a Canadian west coaster

Breakfast: homemade egg sandwich with goat cheese and spicy chili sauce
    Lunch: Whatever freezer meal I've made in advance on Sunday. This week is black bean and corn burritos with spicy salsa

Dinner: Totally varies. Usually stirfry or one pot meal. I hate cooking but recognize its too hard to track calories if you eat out a lot.

I've been snagging snacks and low call treats off this awesome blog called Snack Girl.
  • KristenCook2
    KristenCook2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My heritage is Romanian but I was born & raised right here in the US - Ohio to be precise. My typical day looks like this:

Breakfast: Cream of Wheat, cold cereal, eggs with 1 slice of toast, or biscotti with either tea or coffee.

Lunch: Cold cut sandwich, leftover dinner from the night before, soup, sometimes Subway or another local cafe if I'm splurging.

Dinner: I usually am only cooking for myself (husband works in the evenings) so sometimes I just have cold cereal or I'll fix something in the crock pot, grill chicken or fish, load up on veggies. I try to cook things that I can eat over several days since I really hate cooking for just me every single night of the week. I also do occasionally cook things that are comfort foods for my heritage though - stuffed cabbage, cabbage & noodles, or pierogies are favorites in our house.
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm Jamaican.

Chicken foot soup,

Thought it was only South Africans who ate chicken feet! And heads and necks!!!! But not me....
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I'm from the US.

Breakfast: Oatmeal, cottage cheese
    Lunch: Eggs, veggies
    Dinner: Chicken or fish, veggies, greek yogurt
  • ctoteh86
    ctoteh86 Posts: 16
    Options
    I am Black, fully, not biracial AT ALL. Born and raised in Detroit, MI. Breakfast for me is usually, coffee, fruit, cereal, on occasion I like pancakes/waffles/omelet.

for lunch i usually eat out but I am trying to change that about myself. SO since I dont really like to cook I eat ALOT of tv dinners. it keeps me satisfied AND I get a warm meal. I am aware there is a huge sodium alert there BUT I have no health issues so that doesnt' bother me.

for dinner i like chicken breasts, salad, sweet potatoes, and various vegetables. i love to boil my vegetables then saute them with a little margarine, and minced garlic. im not a salad eater but i will eat that from time to time as well with balsamic viniger dressing. I kind of have to stay away from soul food (which is my favorite) because it is so high in fat everything is cooked and marinated with pork. and has a lot of cheese but it is SOOOOO yummy!
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm Jamaican.

Chicken foot soup,

Thought it was only South Africans who ate chicken feet! And heads and necks!!!! But not me....
    We dont eat the heads but the feet and necks are fair game :)