professional help to beat binge eating?

Options
2»

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Why not give therapy a shot and see if it helps? It could be really helpful in figuring out why you binge and giving you the tools to respond to the urge to do so.
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me Phillipians 4:13 repeat.
    Now believe it and claim it. "All things" include bad habits and addictions. Keep your focus on prayer and reading God's word instead of the binging. Find a Christian counselor. I'm praying for you!
    Delicate reminder that not everyone on here is Christian. :flowerforyou:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    height: 172cm
    weight: 72kg

today from logging what i've had MFP approximates about 3,000calories in total, i did do body combat this morning which burnt around 550calories. but my recommended daily goal is only 1,400. and i workout almost every day and i struggle to loose weight so i know it's my eating that is the problem.

You really arent all that over weight.
    At your height and weight you can eat 2200 cals and below to lose weight.

Why not change MFP settings to maintenance, around 2100-2200, and just make sure you eat a little below that daily.
    I can almost guarantee if you workout only 3 days a week at 2k a day youll lose more fat than working out daily trying to eat 1400 cals.

The reasoni ask for stats is because a lot of youn women think they are over eating when they arent.
    I've encountered women on here who are skinny-fat but underweight and think they need to diet down.
    The fact is they need to eat more.

Yea you will want to binge if you dont eat enough and 1400 isnt enough for someone your height and weight.

Heres a test to my theory.
    Go to Fat to Fit radio and use their tools.
    Do the military body fat calculator then enter the info into the BMR tool.

The trick with the BMR tool to figure your TDEE is to enter goal weight as your current weight.
    After it spits out the info, look at the Katch McArdle BMR setting.
    Yours is about 1500.
    then at the bottom you would want to eat below "Light Activity" but above your Katch McArdle BMR.

Heres an example with my numbers...

So i'll do my numbers:

Age 37
    Male
    Height 66
    Current weight 135
    Goal weight 135
    Body fat% 12

Katch-McArdle Forumla
    The numbers above are fairly accurate, however they don't take into account your lean body mass. A more accurate formula that does take your lean body mass into account is the Katch-McArdle formula. Since many of us have scales that will tell us our current body fat, this formula may yield more accurate results. Based on the information you provided, body fat percentage of 12%, you have a lean body mass of 119 lbs., and your BMR is 1538 calories.

How Many Calories Should I Eat?
    Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1793
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2054 <----This is my TDEE.
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2316
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2577
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2839

So if you eat daily just below your TDEE, youll lose fat but maintain lean mass.
    And youll only really need to workout 3 or 4 times a week for optimal results.

Therapy may be good for you but if you can adjust your hormone level by eating correctly....

PM me if you need any help.
  • bitter_sentiment
    bitter_sentiment Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Why not give therapy a shot and see if it helps? It could be really helpful in figuring out why you binge and giving you the tools to respond to the urge to do so.
    Now believe it and claim it. "All things" include bad habits and addictions. Keep your focus on prayer and reading God's word instead of the binging. Find a Christian counselor. I'm praying for you!

thankyou, and i agree. and i've been looking into overeating anonymous but they're all held in churches and i'm not sure how i'd feel about that. i think i'd feel even more uncomfortable and out of place because i'm not religious, on top of already being nervous about attending and talking about my overeating to a group of strangers.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options

thankyou, and i agree. and i've been looking into overeating anonymous but they're all held in churches and i'm not sure how i'd feel about that. i think i'd feel even more uncomfortable and out of place because i'm not religious, on top of already being nervous about attending and talking about my overeating to a group of strangers.
    My husband and I went to an OA meeting once, just to see if we thought it would be helpful. It was very interesting, but not what we were looking for (it did seem to have religious-ish undertones and the food restrictions were not appealing to us). We were not expected say ANYTHING that first day--in fact, we may even have been asked not to speak. It seems to be a great fit for some people, though, just not for us. It may be worthwhile for you--or anyone who binges--to check out one meeting, since it is free and, I felt, very different from other available options. Just seeing the range of people at the meeting--and listening to some big, intimidating-looking guy (he was like a construction worker or a miner or something) break down in tears while sharing his story gave some helpful perspective.
  • bitter_sentiment
    bitter_sentiment Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    thankyou everyone so much for your support and advice! i really appreciate it!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • giveMEbeauty
    giveMEbeauty Posts: 192
    Options
    Struggling with binges myself x
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I used to binge and have been essentially free of it for a long time. I have found out that I do it when I'm a) dehydrated, and b) tired. Put those two things together - dehydrated late at night - and it's a recipe for disaster. I should instead grab some water and go to bed.

The other thing that has helped me is to eat much closer to maintenance while losing weight - aiming for losing 1/2 a pound weekly instead of 1 or 2 pounds a week. A small deficit keeps me able to eat some of my favourite foods in moderation and still make my goal. Then I'm way less likely to just say 'screw it' and go for whatever I want with no regard to moderation.