Chinese Food

melshirk
melshirk Posts: 4
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
What the Heck!!!! Who knew that chinese food could pack in over 1400 calories per meal. I thought I would go with a healthier option and have the shrimp and garlic lunch special over the usual sweet and sour chicken. Boy was I wrong. With Meal, Rice, Soup, and Egg Roll I packed in over my daily allowance in ONE MEAL. Boy am I bummed. Just got back from vacation and I'm trying to get on track. SET BACK:sad:

Replies

• Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    I know exactly how you feel! I was shocked by that stuff too - but that's why I fell in love with MFP. You may have gone a little off track, but just think about what you learned! You won't do that again. :)

I tell myself it's okay to screw up. Little steps are fine, until I learn how to run.
  • :happy: Thanks!! This was my first post and the positive feed back only makes me LOVE MFP even more! Thanks for the Support
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Ask for whatever you are ordering to be steamed instead of stirfried in oil. My chinese rest. does, and ask for no sauce. That will cut the calories drastically then that way you can enjoy an egg roll and a bowl of wonton soup!
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    I am guessing if you got chicken and brocolli and had a half cup of white rice with and egg roll and a bowl of wonton soup it will be around 600 calories.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    I was just ranting about this the other day...though it was about other foods. I got sushi and thought it was better than getting a sandwich or steak, and when I got home it was 533 calories, plus I had a little French bread there :blushing: so I could only eat about 50 cals for dinner, so all I had was a peach :( I feel ya girl!!

Tomorrow will be a new day though so no worries :)
  • What is MFP?
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    What the Heck!!!! Who knew that chinese food could pack in over 1400 calories per meal. I thought I would go with a healthier option and have the shrimp and garlic lunch special over the usual sweet and sour chicken. Boy was I wrong. With Meal, Rice, Soup, and Egg Roll I packed in over my daily allowance in ONE MEAL. Boy am I bummed. Just got back from vacation and I'm trying to get on track. SET BACK:sad:

Are you serious!? Well that's just crappy! I love to eat Chinese food when I go to the super mall. Fortunately for me it's not that often. Guess I won't be doing that any more. Thanks for posting that.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    What is MFP?

My Fitness Pal :wink:

Also, if you like Chinese food, have you ever tried the Hungry Girl recipe for Chicken Lo Mein? It's SO much more low calorie than regular Chinese food. I haven't tried it yet, but I have never tried a Hungry Girl recipe that wasn't good. Just a thought... :flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    What is MFP?

That's the site your on. My Fitness Pal. MFP. :smile:
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    MFP = My Fitness Pal. (The board you're on). :smile: We all refer to it by initials, it's faster to type. heeheehe
  • mouser79
    mouser79 Posts: 68
    I was completly shocked also when i saw how bad chinese food is for you
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member

I always skip the rice and go for the grilled or steamed options. Watch the sauces and egg rolls are packed w/ cals and fat!! :noway: Guzzle some extra water to help w/ the sodium too!! :drinker:
  • I crave chinese food and knew being on a diet, for the most part, I would have to avoid the restaurants. I improvised and have been quite satisfied making my own dishes at home or at least heating my own lol. Plus the egg rolls at the local restaurants here are saturated with ginger to the point they are sweet. Gross! I found some low fat shrimp egg rolls at walmart. They also have chicken and a veggie version as well (brand name Van 110 cals per egg roll -shrimp). I heat them in a cast iron skillet with no oils or sprays and they crisp right up and are actually pretty good. I usually make a stir fry with it. Again, walmart has a good asparagus stir fry that you can cook with almost anything beef, chicken, pork, shrimp etc, not to mention you could be lazy and use it for making soups and other dishes- I did :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.