how to slim down really fat arms ?

Options

Replies

• kaygroth
    kaygroth Posts: 5
    Options
    Cardio, weight training is the only way. The suggest above are all good. Basically you have to keep at it and use weights. Nothing heavy just enough to work the muscle and tone. The problem is it takes longer and more work to gain muscle then to loose it and there are no short cuts :(. You can take some protein shakes to help but its all about time and persistance. you can do it...
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You can't spot-reduce fat. You can do push-ups and other forms of resistance training to make your arms more lean and muscular, but it means nothing unless you also eat healthily and at a deficit. Cardio will help you lose body fat too.
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue - I won't wear a tank or even short sleeve shirt in public, even if it's 90 degrees out.

I read somewhere that the best exercise for that "bat wing" under the arm is to put your hands on your chair, then slide your feet forward so that your butt is in front of the seat of the chair. Then lift yourself up and down. Kind of like an upside down push up. Just make sure the chair is against something sturdy so you don't hurt yourself. I've also just bought a pair of 3 lb hand weights and I've been trying to use those. So far, I do notice a small difference, but I've only been at it a couple of weeks and I only do it 2 or 3 days a week and probably not as many "reps" as I should.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    For me, my arms, shoulders, and upper back have been the easiest part of my body to get into shape. I lift fairly heavy weights(8-12 reps per set) four times a week. I love my arms now. They look good but are not too defined.
  • JPFleming77
    JPFleming77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am constantly moving my arms on the treadmill and the elliptical. I have noticed that my arms are looking a bit more toned. I am not a fan of sleeveless shirts but when you live in Kansas you must wear them to be comfortable! I think that all women have issues with this part of their body. Nobody wants "wings"!
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    insanity.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    In case it's getting lost in all the other posts...

You HAVE to eat right. Slimming down, toning, losing weight, whatever you want to call it happens with a good diet. Period. Cardio can, to a small extent, cover up a bad diet, but at the end of the day, weight loss happens from a caloric deficit. Get your diet in check and nothing else matters.

People recommending different types of exercises/DVDs/whatever.... they are missing the biggest point - you have to eat right.
  • Selma10001984
    Selma10001984 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You actually cannot spot reduce fat. You have to lose it all over. You can tone the muscles under the arms (triceps and such) and that will help them not hang when the fat is gone, but you have to lose it all over and hopefully when you start losing it will come from there too, but that could be the last spot it leaves as well :)

THAT!

Wait till you loose all of it, but if you want to focus on your arms specifically in the meantime it's better to do a ton of exercice with little or no weight vs. few exercices with heavy weight. Pilates, yoga excercices make you lean and focuses on strenghtening your small/inner muscles and avoid the "bulky" look in the long run. :)
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    You actually cannot spot reduce fat. You have to lose it all over. You can tone the muscles under the arms (triceps and such) and that will help them not hang when the fat is gone, but you have to lose it all over and hopefully when you start losing it will come from there too, but that could be the last spot it leaves as well :)

THAT!

Wait till you loose all of it, but if you want to focus on your arms specifically in the meantime it's better to do a ton of exercice with little or no weight vs. few exercices with heavy weight. Pilates, yoga excercices make you lean and focuses on strenghtening your small/inner muscles and avoid the "bulky" look in the long run. :)

Um, no.

A ton of exercise with little/no weight = cardio. If you're doing cardio, go for a walk/run/bike ride/whatever that has more benefits. If you want to work the muscle, go high weight low reps.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'5, current weight 145 lbs. i have really fat arms and it looks awful. i want to lose about 30 pounds more, will the weight loss only help me lose fat from my arms ? i would be so grateful for any advice :) thank you :)

You def need cardio to burn fat, but to further improve the look of your arms, do 4 sets of 8 reps of bicep curls with 15 lb weights in each hand and 4 sets of 8 reps of overhead tricep extensions with 20lb weights 3 times a week. If that is too heavy, go to 12.5 and 15 lbs respectively.

My trainer had me start doing this and the results were amazing.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    i'm 5'5, current weight 145 lbs. i have really fat arms and it looks awful. i want to lose about 30 pounds more, will the weight loss only help me lose fat from my arms ? i would be so grateful for any advice :) thank you :)

You def need cardio to burn fat, but to further improve the look of your arms, do 4 sets of 8 reps of bicep curls with 15 lb weights in each hand and 4 sets of 8 reps of overhead tricep extensions with 20lb weights 3 times a week. If that is too heavy, go to 12.5 and 15 lbs respectively.

Um, kind of.

Cardio doesn't burn fat, but the rest of it is more or less on par. Lift heavy (different for each person, but how ever much weight you need such that you are struggling to complete the last rep) is always a good idea.
  • kazala
    kazala Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Bump I need this advice too!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Gotta eat well, first. Once I removed most of the grain-based carbs in my diet and upped the protein, my arms lost all the flab and got defined. (This did NOT happen when I was in college, ran a lot, but still ate lots of carbs.) Doing push-ups then made them bigger and more solid.
  • TaraMilley
    Options
    I have the batwing problem myself. I've been lifting 5lb weights daily. Especialiy kickbacks, they target the triceps. i just do 3 sets of 15 reps and I have begun to see a difference, still have a long way to go though.
  • Jessicapages1
    Jessicapages1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Cardio+weight training+CLEAN DIET! Don't give up.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options

Um, kind of.

Cardio doesn't burn fat, but the rest of it is more or less on par. Lift heavy (different for each person, but how ever much weight you need such that you are struggling to complete the last rep) is always a good idea.

I absolutely burn fat with cardio. I agree however that heavy weight training burns it faster.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I found swimming has left my arms a really nice shape even though I don't do it now.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Nothing except general weight (fat) loss will cause you to lose fat. So if you have 30 lbs to lose, presumably at least some of that will come off your arms.

I've been boxing for about 5 years now and I can tell you that it does amazing things for the arms...
  • Guisma
    Guisma Posts: 215
    Options
    Good question... My troubles are a bit diferent i can´t carry any weight cos of health problems and i have a huge wing ....
    I thought about swimming but i can´t swim plus no pools arround my house ...
    i´m to heavy and i dont have any strenght to do pull ups , do u know if pushing my body against the wall ( push ups on foot ) do actually work ? How many a day everyday to see results in like 4 months ?
  • amy_marlene
    amy_marlene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your advices :)) i'll try to add some weight training :)