Diabetes - what should I be eating

Options
Hello. I've just been put on Metformin for Diabetes because my blood sugar remained too high. I'm confused about what I should and shuildn't be eating (other than cakes, sweets, biscuits etc). Anybody know how to help me decide what I should be eating?

Replies

• SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I stay away from "whites" white sugar, white flour, white bread etc. I also don't bananas because they raise my sugar to high. My diabetes nutrition class was very helpful. If you can find one in your area, you should take it. My insurance paid for my class.

Basically we were told to limit our carb intake. Some will say no more than 45-60 grams per main meal and 15-20 grams per snack. It is more that carbohydrates and the amounts of carbs affect your blood sugar vs the type. Some people can eat small of whites and be fine while other can't. Testing 2-3 hours after you eat is a helpful tool too. Good luck.
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Yep, now that you gave yourself diabetes,

Ummm, I didn't give myself diabetes. In fact it is a genetic thing.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Here's a link that might help: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor. I'm sure he has better knowledge than forum people. Then tell him about what your weight goals are, and ask him how to incorporate it all together.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Here's a link that might help: http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/

Yes, I was just going to post this ^^ It's a great resource. If your doctor did not give you diet instructions, can you ask for a referal to a registered dietician?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor. I'm sure he has better knowledge than forum people. Then tell him about what your weight goals are, and ask him how to incorporate it all together.

QFT
  • amzasmommy
    amzasmommy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor for a referal to a dietician. They can help you determine a good meal plan and give you limits. You'll need to count your carbs; all of them. As you begin to adjust your diet you'll learn what your triggers are. Somethings that are fine for one person may send you blood sugar soaring and vice versa.

Pair a whole grain carb with a protein. Lots of veggies.

SherryRH gave you great suggestions on limits. 15 per snack and about 45 for the main meal. Make sure you eat enough as well so you keep your blood sugar level.

Good luck. Once you get a routine down it gets a lot easier.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

So why is it so rare for anyone who has a healthy body composition, works out frequently, and eats low glycemic index foods to have diabetes type 2? And why is the percentage of people being diagnosed with diabetes type 2 skyrocketing? Sure, there is definitely a genetic component. Some (like my family) are more susceptible than others. But it's a disease caused mainly by lifestyle and diet.

And we all have complete control over what we put into our own mouths.
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Three words:
    Binge eating disorder.

You cannot presume to know an entire person's medical and psychological history well enough to say that they "gave themselves diabetes." Whether that is statistically more likely or not, you do not know the person, you are not in a position to pass judgement, and all n' all I'm pretty sure the snarky comment is far from appreciated. If they "gave themselves diabetes" I'm sure they're well aware of that without you pointing it out; no one was asking why they had diabetes, they were merely asking on advice on what to eat. No need to be rude and uppity about it.
  • emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    Options

So why is it so rare for anyone who has a healthy body composition, works out frequently, and eats low glycemic index foods to have diabetes type 2? And why is the percentage of people being diagnosed with diabetes type 2 skyrocketing? Sure, there is definitely a genetic component. Some (like my family) are more susceptible than others. But it's a disease caused mainly by lifestyle and diet.

• emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Wow so helpful and compassionate, nice comments to someone seeking help and advice!
  • c016903
    c016903 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in the fall of 2010. I was put on metformin earlier this year, since I was still borderline diabetic after modifying my diet and exercising. Also I wasn't losing weight. I work with a nutritionist who actually told me about myfitnesspal.com (and I'm loving it!). In my case, it is definitely about portion control and MFP helps me monitor that quite nicely.
    The person who told you to go to diabetes.org is on the right track. I learned things like orange juice is loaded with sugar (and I'm only drinking 4 oz. a day). MFP will tell you how many grams of sugar different foods have. It is one of my favorite tools in dealing with my new life.
    Good luck to you! You are already putting tools in your toolkit to succeed!
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Being that this is supposed to be a supportive site -- we all have complete control over what we put into our posts.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Three words:
    Binge eating disorder.

You cannot presume to know an entire person's medical and psychological history well enough to say that they "gave themselves diabetes." Whether that is statistically more likely or not, you do not know the person, you are not in a position to pass judgement, and all n' all I'm pretty sure the snarky comment is far from appreciated. If they "gave themselves diabetes" I'm sure they're well aware of that without you pointing it out; no one was asking why they had diabetes, they were merely asking on advice on what to eat. No need to be rude and uppity about it.

Yeah it was kind of rude. I'm just so sick of people, especially many of my relatives, constantly talking about how it's "genetics" that caused all their diabetes and HTN. Meanwhile they're overweight, never exercise, and are sitting around eating baked goods and drinking juice. I can't say what I really want to in real life, so I do it here online.
  • bigf00t
    bigf00t Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    And we all have control over what comes out of our mouths -- so let's try to be polite, not accusatory and blaming when people ask for assistance. Especially when we don't know their backstory.]
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i think if the op is in uk, her doctor can refer her to a specially trained dietitian, who can advise on diet
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I reversed my type 2 diabetes by following a few simple ideas:

1. I try to keep my carbs at 30-40 per meal; 15-20 per snack
    2. I eat protein EVERY time I eat and I try to keep my carb:protein ratio around 2:1, higher on protein is more ideal than higher carb
    3. I cut myself a break a few times a week and go a little high on carbs to maintain my sanity. While I usually get most of my carbs from fruits, veggies, and some dairy, I also don't completely cut out sugar, bread, chocolate, etc. I had to make this a sustainable plan after all :smile:
  • chica23GK
    chica23GK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    SherryRH gave you some good advice (I heard the same when I was inquiring for my diabetic mom) & you received good direction from others (website) - so you are on your way. Good luck to you on your journey to conquer diabetes - you can manage it! Don't let it get you down - we all have to manage something in our lives. :) You also got some "tough-love" from shirtless guy (I have similar family) - don't let it scare you - I'm confident MFP will be an invaluable tool in managing your diabetes. :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

I don't see where she said she was type 2. Why would you be so hateful?
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Three words:
    Binge eating disorder.

Yeah it was kind of rude. I'm just so sick of people, especially many of my relatives, constantly talking about how it's "genetics" that caused all their diabetes and HTN. Meanwhile they're overweight, never exercise, and are sitting around eating baked goods and drinking juice. I can't say what I really want to in real life, so I do it here online.

I know a lot of thin non-diabetic people who live like this. While it's true that most people with type 2 diabetes have not lived the healthiest possible lifestyle, there is a reason they were more prone to developing diabetes than other people.

And if you can't say what you really want to in life, perhaps your thoughts are up for re-consideration. At the very least, you could find another website where you can take out your family of origin issues on anonymous people. Your comment was more than rude - it was remarkably disrespectful considering people are here for support.