Possibly Dumb ? from New Lifter

Options
I started to add lifting to my repertoire about 2-3 weeks ago, and while I stick mostly to machines (my comfort zone) I spy on the other lifters while there and I'm slowly adding some free lifting in, especially for arms because I think it's easier on my joints and I have much more control.

Last night I did bicep curls for the first time with dumbbells, and got to use the "big" dumbbells b/c the girl ones only went up to 8 pounds.

My question is this: ideally I'd like to be able to lift equally on both sides, but last night I was able to do 15lbs on the right, and struggled through 12.5 on the left.

Should I continue to lift uneven amounts, or should I lift the lower weight on my right until lefty catches up?

Thanks for all of you who motivated me to start lifting...I feel great and it's a HUGE stress reliever!

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for trying heavier weights.

It is totally normal to have a stronger side. You'll find this may always be the case, although with time and lifting it should become less pronounced. Just keep doing what you're doing!
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    Your body will catch up, that's completely normal. Lift the same amount on each side!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Not a dumb question at ALL. I've wondered the same thing...I don't know the right answer, but I've just stuck w/higher weights myself, and did fewer reps. Anxious to hear what the "expert" lifters say. :flowerforyou:
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. I don't know the answer, but I'm curious to see what other people have to say. I'm new to lifting too, and doing 1-point rows, I'm a lot stronger balancing on my left leg than my right, so to challenge myself, I've been using as much weight as possible on each side, even if it's different weights.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I am not a weight lifter- but I know that my left side is way stronger than my right. I think for always holding my kids on my left.
  • dwightdegroff
    dwightdegroff Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    not an expert, to be sure, but I always start lifting with my left(weaker) side and match it on my right. Eventually, I figure, they will balance out.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Your body will adapt and balance out, just stick with it.
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. Tells you how to get started with free weights. The author recommends starting with our weak side and then doing the same on your strong side. There are several groups related to this book also. Good luck!
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    not an expert, to be sure, but I always start lifting with my left(weaker) side and match it on my right. Eventually, I figure, they will balance out.

This :)

Russ
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I always lift evenly, lifting with the weaker side first to establish the weight for the stronger side. With time I became even, although I do tend to still favor one side over the other.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options

Oh, see this makes sense. Being right handed, I naturally tend to start on the right but I think next time I'll start with the left, and make the bicep curl the first thing I do so I can put as much energy as possible into getting that 15 pounder up!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Check out the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. Tells you how to get started with free weights. The author recommends starting with our weak side and then doing the same on your strong side. There are several groups related to this book also. Good luck!

Amen
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Are you doing alternating one-armed curls or are you doing both arms at the same time? If you're taking the one-armed approach, are you resting between sets for each arm? In other words, are you doing a set with your left arm and then resting for a bit before doing a set with your right, or are you doing both sets with no rest in between?

There is probably a muscle imbalance there, which can be remedied. The easiest way is to use exercises that have you moving both arms at once. Another way is to do alternating sets with dumbbells, but using your weaker arm first. A lot of novice lifters experience this, but over time it becomes less of an issue.
  • wws1985
    wws1985 Posts: 1
    Options

This is typically the way to do it. Just start with your weaker arm. If you can only do 6 reps with a x weight on your weaker arm then only do 6 reps with the same weight on your dominant arm. Your dominant arm may not feel like it is getting as much work but it will balance out when your weaker arm catches up. Good luck and lift safe!
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

Amen

have the book right here! loving it!

You should be so proud of yourself! far far from dumb doing something great for your body!
  • langurmonkey
    Options
    I am not an expert lifter by any means, but I have a bit of experience. If I am doing a dumbbell exercise (like a bent over row for example), I do my left arm first then match that with the right to prevent imbalances. Same with dumbbell bench press or any exercise where you are doing both arms together, use the non-dominant arm's limit to set the weight. Otherwise you risk making the strength imbalance even greater, as you lift heavier and heavier with your right arm.

This is unlikely to be what you want unless you are a tennis player :-)

Good work on starting lifting anyway - as a beginner the most important things are 1. don't injure yourself 2. have fun. Anything you do to start with is better than what you were doing before :-)
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue (so you are not alone!) and asked my personal trainer at the gym. He said to always lift the same amount on each side.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    When you say you could do 15 on one and 12.5 on the other........how many reps? for each? I would pick a weight you can do 5-6 times on the weaker arm.......It will catch up fast.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    Are you doing alternating one-armed curls or are you doing both arms at the same time? If you're taking the one-armed approach, are you resting between sets for each arm? In other words, are you doing a set with your left arm and then resting for a bit before doing a set with your right, or are you doing both sets with no rest in between?

There is probably a muscle imbalance there, which can be remedied. The easiest way is to use exercises that have you moving both arms at once. Another way is to do alternating sets with dumbbells, but using your weaker arm first. A lot of novice lifters experience this, but over time it becomes less of an issue.

I alternate and rest between.

And I tried to stick with a weight I can do 3 sets of 6 reps with, to answer another poster's question.

I can't afford a personal trainer, so I glean what I can from you guys here, and I saw the thread last week about whether it's better to do heavier weight/less reps and upped my weight this time. Before I was doing 12-15 reps with much lighter (like 5-8 lbs) weights.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    [You should be so proud of yourself! far far from dumb doing something great for your body!

Thanks, to you and anyone else who congratulated me. I am proud and feel strong and powerful and like this will do nothing but motivate me to continue working hard at being healthy!