Running Beginner

Options
I've never gone running before, and I'm about to start. Does anyone have any advice for me? What should my first goal be? What should I do if I feel like I can't do it? Any help would be great!

Thanks MFP's!

Mandakay

Replies

• alicnc
    alicnc Posts: 9
    Options
    That's so great! I would start with both running and walking: run for a minute, then walk for a minute. Then build up to where you want to be. I read about it on the runners' world website and it's so great with motivation knowing that walking is okay. You can do it with songs too, run a song, walk another.

Have fun with it.
  • jangofett1999
    Options
    1. Buy yourself a good pair of running shoes.
    2. Stretch everything...quads, calfs, hamstrings and even your back.
    2. Start easy and don't push yourself too much.

Dont laugh but the first time I went running, I was only able to go 4/10 of a mile! :sad: That was about 8 weeks ago and I just ran 2 miles (albeit very slow, about 25 min) for the first time earlier this week.

254418.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • mandakay
    mandakay Posts: 73
    Options
    Thanks so much! The song idea is a great idea! Thanks so much!
  • mandakay
    Options
    Thanks! I do need to remember to stretch more. That's one thing I forget to do.

Thanks!
  • la4et
    la4et Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You should walk 2 min, run 1 min, walk 2 min. run 1 min repeat 2 more times and then end walk 2 mins total 14 mins for 1 week

The second week walk 2 run 2 total 16 minutes.

Work on that for a bit and see how it goes-good luck
  • lisaj950
    lisaj950 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is a program "Couch to 5k", if you have an IPOD you can visit the podcasts and visit the "health" section. Search for Couch to 5k and there are several podcasts that do exactly what the name says. It is a slow progression to running. It prevents injury and eases you into it!

If no IPod, visit "coolrunnings" website, they have the entire program posted there.

Good Luck!
  • mandakay
    Options
    Thanks for the help! I will look up the website right now!
  • carissa55
    carissa55 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start running too. These are good ideas. I've always walked only but I'm wanting to try running.
  • mandakay
    Options
    I know...me too! I'm a bit nervous about it. Mostly because I feel like my fat isgoing to shake all over the place...lol. I know it sounds stupid, but that's the real reason, that and laziness.
  • Debrah80
    Debrah80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I want to start running too. I would love to be able to run a mile (I know doesn't sound like much) without stopping and eventually just go outside and run without thinking about how much work it is going to take. It would feel great. And the benefits to my body would be great!

Thanks for posting this. I am going to take some of the suggestions and see how it works out. Do you do this everyday in the beginning? or every couple days?
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I cannot say enough good things about Couch to 5k... IMO it's the only way to start running! Good luck! :wink:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Listen to your body and take a day off! I run every other day to give my body time to recoup.

It's easy to want to run everyday once you start getting into it. Don't...that will lead you to injury.

Keep track of the mileage in your shoes and replace them when they are worn out.

I start out running to the neighbors house, then to the next house, then to the tree, etc. I just tried to run a little further and longer each time.

Don't worry about speed in the beginning.,,,that will catch up to you later.

Realize that there are going to be good runs and bad runs...don't sweat it.

Once I figured out that it is OK to stop and walk, I really blossomed in my distance and started to pack on the miles (I just learned this). So...remember...it is OK to stop and walk.

I started in April and right now I run 4 miles on a normal day, 7 miles on a long day - which I will continue to increase by half a mile each week. It did not take long at all. Just listen to your body and don't push yourself too hard.

Good luck to you and I wish you a Happy Running (join us in the MFP Runners thread...there is some good advice from people in all stages of running). :flowerforyou: :drinker: