What would you do??

Options
TChester_05
TChester_05 Posts: 83 Member
You come home to find an envelope with someone elses name and address on it in your mail. But the envelope wasnt sealed so you peek and find an active gift card worth $200 to a high end restaurant chain. What would you do??

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I would either figure out who it belonged to and deliver it to them or seal the envelope, put "return to sender" on the outside and place it back in the post.

It's not mine and I would never take it. Karma's a ***** and it's not something I want to get bitten by.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    You come home to find an envelope with someone elses name and address on it in your mail. But the envelope wasnt sealed so you peek and find an active gift card worth $200 to a high end restaurant chain. What would you do??
    Sealed or not, if you get caught it's a FEDERAL OFFENSE and person could get jail time.
    Sec. 1702. - Obstruction of correspondence

...to pry into the business or secrets of another, or opens, secretes, embezzles, or destroys the same, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both
    Yeah, not worth it IMO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    I would either figure out who it belonged to and deliver it to them or seal the envelope, put "return to sender" on the outside and place it back in the post.

It's not mine and I would never take it. Karma's a ***** and it's not something I want to get bitten by.

^ Agreed. I would definitely try to find who it was sent to or at least send it back to the original sender. I would feel horrible if I took someone else's money :( Once a guy dropped a $100 right in front of me and I ran as fast I could to catch up to him so I could return it.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options

Exactly this.
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I would give it back. It's an offense, and how would you feel if someone took your money? That's how I look at it, so I'd try to find the original owner.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Sell it to buy some booze and a hooker.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I would give it to the person it belonged to. It's not worth the karma.

Silver Medal Winner, Arizona 2009 Homebrew Competition
    Gold Medal Winner Arizona 2009 Strong Ale Category
    Sleepy and could use coffee
    I laugh at farts
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Give it to the person it belongs to.
  • jcamby
    jcamby Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Definitely give it to the rightful owner.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options

^^ This without a doubt!!!
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Its someone else mail, I would just return to sender
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Forward it along to the correct person, or return to sender.

When my husband and I got married, one of his relatives sent our present to an old address. Whoever lived there just accepted the delivery and kept it. No way I would do that to someone else.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Its sad how far this country has come, that this question actually has to be asked.

Its not yours, give it back.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't have peaked at it in the first place. If my name isn't on it, I either try to find the person (sometimes the mail man will deliver the neighbor's mail to me by mistake) or else send it back.
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You have the name and address of the person it belongs too, so it shouldn't be too hard to find the rightful owner. Find them, and give it back.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

^^^^ this! Karma works in weird ways. I would do the right thing.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I would make sure it got to it's recipient. I would feel terrible otherwise.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Sell it to buy some booze and a hooker.

God knows, that's what I'd do. But cheap booze and cheap hookers, so I'd have extra money to give my car the expensive wash at the automatic car wash.

But seriously, karma..... they refer to it in a feminine context for a reason.
  • Wreak_Havoc
    Wreak_Havoc Posts: 597
    Options
    "Not at this address - Return to Sender"
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Its sad how far this country has come, that this question actually has to be asked.

Its not yours, give it back.

Exactly!