dinner...helppppp!!!!!

Options
ok so i have come to a stop with this weight loss and it is frustrating...i have come to realize what my problem is but i cant seem to fix it...maybe someone can offer some helpful advice. i eat healthy and stay with the right amount of calories all until i get home...that is when i completly mess up. i am of hispanic decent and i guess its the white rice killing me...and i have even bought brown rice which my hubby wont eat so i find it hard to cook 2 different meals everyday and he will not eat any healthy that i cook. i have amazingly gotten him to eat spinach linguine with fat free alfredo and grilled chicken breast lol...but thats as "healthy" as he gets...so guys what can i do here....

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you know you are going to eat more at night, and don't see that changing, why not just eat less throughout the day so that you have plenty of calories left in the evening?

Most days I eat very light throughout the day and then eat a big dinner. Usually more than 1/2 my daily calories are consumed at my evening meal.
  • yannasmommy145
    yannasmommy145 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    im trying to stay within 1200 cals max a day by the time i get home im already at 500 remaining and 1 cup of rice is 300-350 cals...which leaves me with only 200 left so i always tend to go over....
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    So don't eat the rice.
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you know you are going to eat more at night, and don't see that changing, why not just eat less throughout the day so that you have plenty of calories left in the evening?

Most days I eat very light throughout the day and then eat a big dinner. Usually more than 1/2 my daily calories are consumed at my evening meal.

i do this a lot !! on friday's my kids LOVE "pizza friday" this requires of course pizza and a movie (so no walking) -- so on friday's I eat lite all day. I also now go grocery shopping alone and cook dinner in the kitchen all by myself --- if they don't see what goes in (shredded carrots) they don't realize it is so much more healthy for them. Nobody needs to know i hide the healthy labels. :wink:
  • paulmdepoy
    paulmdepoy Posts: 20
    Options
    If you don't want to cook 2 meals, look into individual serving cups of multigrain medleys. You can get them under 200 calories and they have brown rice, quinoa, and other whole grains in the cup. You microwave it for like 1minute and your good to go. That would save you 150-200 calories just with the rice switch.

For meat, I cook a few pounds of chicken breast every sunday on the grill and then cut them into like fajita strip size. I freeze the chicken in 6oz portions and then every night I put a bag into the fridge to thaw for the next day and that makes dinner so much easier to make when all you have to do is throw stuff together and warm it up for a few minutes.
  • starzluv94
    starzluv94 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Your husband can fix his own dinner. Problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Have you considered telling your husband to either eat what you make or to go ahead and cook his own dinner? :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    im trying to stay within 1200 cals max a day by the time i get home im already at 500 remaining and 1 cup of rice is 300-350 cals...which leaves me with only 200 left so i always tend to go over....

There aren't a lot of choices. Eat less during the day so you have calories left for the rice with dinner. Eat less or no rice with dinner. Eat more than 1200 total calories per day and exercise to bring it down to 1200 net calories. Or do what you are doing now and keep going over.
  • yannasmommy145
    Options
    If you don't want to cook 2 meals, look into individual serving cups of multigrain medleys. You can get them under 200 calories and they have brown rice, quinoa, and other whole grains in the cup. You microwave it for like 1minute and your good to go. That would save you 150-200 calories just with the rice switch.

For meat, I cook a few pounds of chicken breast every sunday on the grill and then cut them into like fajita strip size. I freeze the chicken in 6oz portions and then every night I put a bag into the fridge to thaw for the next day and that makes dinner so much easier to make when all you have to do is throw stuff together and warm it up for a few minutes.

hmmm...that sounds good to me .... thanks
  • yannasmommy145
    Options
    Have you considered telling your husband to either eat what you make or to go ahead and cook his own dinner? :)

hahaha thats funny...him cook??? lol....ive been waiting 3 yrs to see that man cook
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    So don't eat the rice.

^^This. I hardly ever eat rice with dinner anymore, and I don't really miss it. Try making something different. How about a cauliflower mash, a slice of whole wheat bread w/butter substitute, some beans, etc? I like having variety...I know I would get bored of eating rice every night w/dinner.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat where I do not want to cook seperate meals. I have smaller portions of what everyone else is having. Too time consuming to fix seperate meals.
  • yannasmommy145
    Options
    ok soo i dont cook rice every night i shouldve specified but at least 3 times a week
  • lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    just dont eat the rice and have more of the meat or what ever else you are serving?>
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Cook what you want to eat.. if he doesn't like it, then he can make his own. :-)

Actually, my mom did this when I was a teenager. I learned to cook real quick (I didn't like plain chicken). It helped spark a love for cooking that continues to this day.
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I love rice too, so I limit myself to one serving (1/2 cup). 1 cup is actually 2 servings... :wink: I also do as others have suggested, and just leave more cals for dinner. We also follow the "eat what I make or make your own" rule in our house! Also, what do you add to your rice?! One cup of plain cooked white rice is 205 cals.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I am not a short order cook.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Rule in my house, "I will cook one meal, you will eat the one meal or you will make your own". My kids have learned to like healthy foods.
  • BrownEyedSister
    BrownEyedSister Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My mom's answer to me not liking what she cooked was to say, "You know where the peanut butter is..." Peanut butter is still my go-to food. :)

I have the same issue with my family, but with the tortillas. And help me, I LOVE tortillas. I either eat less throughout the day or eat fewer tortillas during the meal.

Good luck!
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    pre-cook your meals one day a week make enough for all week - then you only have to cook once at night and re-heat your food....