Another I'm Confused Post

Options
Yes I'm a newbie... I was reading yesterday that you should always eat your exercise calories back- or most of them there is a margin of error. I got that.:happy:

However I also read yesterday that you should never force yourself to eat. I'm a part-time single mom and when the kids are at their dad's I have to force my self to eat supper. I have tried to eat more calories at lunch and then eat a little at supper to get more calories. I've also tried a little lunch to make me more hungry. But, I'm always forcing my self to eat that last meal.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• ironmanwannabe
    ironmanwannabe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    wow, i wish i had your problem. mine is just the opposite :)

i would try eating calorie dense foods that are healthy. nuts are a good example, any lean meats, etc...
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do not condone eating when not hungry unless you are way under your calorie goal. Many of us got into the predicament we're in because we ate when we weren't hungry. I found, over the course of my weight loss, that sometimes I'd eat back some of my exercise calories, and sometimes I wouldn't, depending on how hungry I was that particular day, and it all seemed to balance out at the end of the week to where I was losing about what MFP said I should.

That said, try to make sure that the food you eat is as healthy as possible. I am no expert, but I know that clean eating made me feel better, ensured that I took in the macros I needed, and made the weight come off easier. I also didn't have trouble with water retention except for around that time of the month. Good luck!
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem especially on weekends. Wish I could help but I'm looking forward to seeing the answers you get.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    It help to eat calories dense healthy food like peanut butter, avocados, full fat yogurt and the like.

I eat 1700 calories a day and it really help me
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense foods with your regular meals. Nuts, avocados, add a tablespoon of olive oil to any dish for an extra 119 calories, peanut butter, don't do low fat or low calories foods. Eat bigger portions.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    When I eat calorie dense foods I always go over in my fat. Should I be concerned about this. Avacados, Almonds etc = fat.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    When I eat calorie dense foods I always go over in my fat. Should I be concerned about this. Avacados, Almonds etc = fat.

These are healthy fats, and are fine to eat in moderation.

ETA: Opt for these kinds of fats in lieu of fatty fried foods. I don't track fat, but I am a vegetarian, so nuts, olive oil, and avocados are my primary sources of dietary fat.
  • Yanicka1
    Options

Fat does not make you fat and they are very good for overall health
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    dont eat "diet" foods. skip the low fat stuff. almonds are my go to snack when I need a lot of calories and fat. fat is your friend...dont avoid it
  • justrun52
    justrun52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't try to force yourself to eat if your body doesn't need it (telling you that your hungry). I think you will be just fine by not eating back your exercise calories.
  • Yanicka1
    Options
    I wouldn't try to force yourself to eat if your body doesn't need it (telling you that your hungry). I think you will be just fine by not eating back your exercise calories.
    I don't believe that. Hunger is not a very good indication of what we need or do not need. I have been more hungry when eating 2000calories compared to 1200 calories.
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    When I have calories left over and am not hungry I usually default to soup. It's usually light (or lighter) than a full meal, and you can stir in a tablespoon of olive oil to up the calories. Salad with an oil dressing works well to. It's not like you are stuffing yourself, but it's calorie dense.
  • JDStarcz
    JDStarcz Posts: 2
    Options
    Have a protein shake
  • jkandktmom
    jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. I do love nuts I could easily have a couple handfuls while I'm winding down.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,981 Member
    Options
    Since you only have this problem when your kids are at their dad's house, it sounds more like a depression issue....or just not wanting to eat alone. I had this problem after my husband passed away and I did have to force myself to eat even though I wasn't hungry. I went through a lot of peanut butter and yogurt. Things I didn't have to cook, because cooking for one seemed a waste of time to me. Do try to eat something. The things recommended by other folks are good, fast, and no cooking. Good luck!
  • rocakes
    rocakes Posts: 44
    Options
    I wish i had that problem!!! try protein bars too!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I don't believe that. Hunger is not a very good indication of what we need or do not need. I have been more hungry when eating 2000calories compared to 1200 calories.

I wonder how humans successfully fed themselves before the discovery of the calorie, or how kids do it, or how the non-dieting world does it, or how animals do it?

I think it's when we start ignoring our hunger signals that we get into trouble.
  • Yanicka1
    Options

I wonder how humans successfully fed themselves before the discovery of the calorie, or how kids do it, or how the non-dieting world does it, or how animals do it?

I think it's when we start ignoring our hunger signals that we get into trouble.

We didn't get fat by listening to our body. If I was doing what my body want I would be on the couch eating natchos.

Let take babies for exemple, how do we calm them? by putting a pacifier in their mouth. We are programmed to eat all the food because our ancestors never knew when they would kill their next meal.

One of my cat has a tendancy to eat too much and then get sick.....but I have to admit that she is not the sharpest crayon in the box LOL

That being said, if listening to your hunger work for you, it is great. I remember that when I started my new lifestyle, I was so far away from being able to listen to my body that it was preferable for me to go with calories.