Working out in the gym

Hi, just wanted to get an opinion on this. I'm always leery of the calorie (burned during a workout) counters on gym equipment, like treadmills and cross trainers. Do you think they are generally reliable and fairly accurate or probably not to be trusted?

Thanks!

Replies

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    From what everyone says they over exaturate the calories burned. Invest in a HRM if you want to be more accurate.
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    They're approximated but are generally somewhere around the target. Get a HRM from Polar (FT4 is a good one).
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    For me the machines and MFP gave me a higher number than my HRM did.
  • George1567
    George1567 Posts: 107
    You will probably find accuracy to be varried from one brand or machine to another. If you use the same machine or machines on a regular basis then with a little effort you can figure them out. I find for me the machines and MFP always show more cals burnt than does my Polar FT 80 heart rate monitor. But you can go with what the machines show and factor it into you nutrition plan. If you are not seeing the weight loss then start adjusting the cals down by a few percent. Many people try to not eat back all of their workout cals on the basis that what they recorded may not be 100% accurate.

The heart rate monitor (HRM) is nice in the fact that it is consistent no matter what activity you do. I was camping last weekend and got up and went for a jog, used my HRM and I have my data. I also find that my weight lifting workouts record more burn than what MFP shows. So when faced with activites not on a machine the HRM helps you stay consistant. But even a HRM is a man made divice that is tryi8ng to figure out what the human body is doing. There is no doubt they have their limitations, but it should be somewhat consistant to you for any activity.