Vegetarian Lunches without bread in them?

Options
I'm really wanting to eliminate some carbs out of my diet and I'm also getting tired of having sandwiches. wraps etc every day. Does anyone know a nutritious and protein rich lunch meal to keep me feeling full until dinner?

Replies

• Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    My best advice is that there doesn't seem to be any straight forward way to approach this because there is SO MANY ideas. I realized that when I was trying to take it on from a general approach.

What I found that worked great for me was googling a main ingredient like: Avocados, black beans, pasta and searching up "Vegan/Vegetarian dish with such and such food". It then pulls up recipes that have that food in it plus other ingredients. Sometimes I don't have all the ingredients but a lot of the foods seem to be gourmet almost anyways. I just go off what I have and throw something together. Then I'll save the recipes I like in a Word doc that I can go off of again later.

I plan on getting like 7 good ones and using them in regular rotation every week. I want it to be economical and easy and also varied so I can keep going with it! I am in the same boat as you as far as lowering the evil carbs. I don't mind fruit carbs so much but the dang pasta/bread carbs suck. And sandwiches are VERY boring.

Hope this helps!
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of lettuce wraps with normal sandwich ingredients including some vegetarian ingredients like homemade black bean burgers, Tempeh, avocado, baked tofu, etc. When I have to pack them, I pack the lettuce (I like Romaine) and the filling separately and just assemble them as I eat.

With the calories you save from the bread, you can add Greek yogurt or veggies and cottage cheese for more protein and a more full feeling.
  • filmingghosts
    Options
    Brown rice with black beans and salsa, broiled tofu served over some steamed veggies and maybe some rice (I add Iron Chef General Tso Sauce to it, but you could add soy sauce or anything else), Gardein 7 Grain Chick'n Tenders (or any of their other products, all the ones I've tried are good!) with some steamed veggies, a quesadilla with a whole wheat low carb tortilla and some refried beans, and homemade black bean/chickpea burgers without the bun (or you could do frozen if you wanted) are all good options. :) And they're vegan too!
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    my favourite is a spinach salad with a little bit of whole-wheat penne (can replace this with 1/2 a can of beans) and cottage cheese. Add a bit of lemon, vinegar and garlic salt- YUM!

Another favourite of mine is Chick Pea salad with crackers.

I agree- I hate sandwiches and I don't like to have hot lunches!

Best.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Veggies and hummus. Broiled tofu. Baked tempeh. Salads with beans/nuts/tofu/tempeh. Homemade veggie soup with beans/tofu/tempeh. Leftovers. You can get added protein from yogurt or soy yogurt.
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    One of my faves is a stir fry with spaghettie squash instead of noodles...I just throw whatever veggies and proteins I have laying around in the pan with a little olive oil or soy suace. It's a quick and yummy way to use up any left overs you might have.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Hummus and lettuce wraps!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Today for lunch i have 3 small bell peppers, cream cheese and half a can of kidney beans to make a kind of stuffed pepper.
  • Ashleyanne271
    Ashleyanne271 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My favorite vegetarian lunch is

2 cans black beans
    1 can corn
    3/4 cup salsa
    chili powder
    mushrooms
    shredded cheese

heat on stove

It is supposed to be in a burrito but I like it just plain in a bowl :) It also last me a couple lunches.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    My lunch is almost always leftovers from dinner the night before. Makes one less meal I have to worry about. For vegetarian options, I would say beans and rice, vegetarian chili and risotto are good choices that heat up well.
  • Hikaru37
    Hikaru37 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs, spinach and melted cheese ^_^
  • Susan2BHealthier
    Susan2BHealthier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Chickpea & Feta Salad

2 cup(s) canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    2 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), finely minced, or less to taste
    2 Tbsp scallion(s), thinly sliced
    1/2 large sweet red pepper(s), diced
    2 Tbsp parsley, fresh, finely minced
    9 large olive(s), black or green or calamata, pitted and chopped
    1/2 cup(s) crumbled feta cheese
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
    1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
    1 tsp lemon zest, for garnish

In a medium bowl, combine chickpeas, garlic, scallions, red pepper, parsley, olives and feta cheese; toss to combine. In a small bowl, whisk together oil and lemon juice; pour over chickpea mixture and season to taste with black pepper. Garnish with lemon zest; serve. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving. Serve over salad greens.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian chilli?
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm really wanting to eliminate some carbs out of my diet and I'm also getting tired of having sandwiches. wraps etc every day. Does anyone know a nutritious and protein rich lunch meal to keep me feeling full until dinner?

Many times I have put a chicken or turkey breast in the crop pot. I then eat just the meat.. It works better than lunch meat for me. I don't feel I need to have it on bread or a wrap because it is nice tender meat from being made in the crop pot. Can be eaten hot or cold. Have a salad, fruit or veggies with it.

BUT wait you asked for vegetarian.. I'm no help..
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I make quinoa salads a lot because it's very high in protein. I don't use a recipe, just whatever veggies and dressing I have on hand. Here's one I made last week:

cooked quinoa
    black beans
    tomatoes
    corn
    salsa or taco seasoning to flavor
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    *bump*
  • seaminn12
    seaminn12 Posts: 1
    Options
    You could look into juicing, or making your own smoothies... My favorite smoothie so far:
    Handful of blueberries, 4 oz plain soymilk, a couple spoonfuls of non-fat yogurt, one banana, couple handfuls of spinach, and carnation instant breakfast pounch (preferably vanilla)... put it all in the blend and push the button, in about 20 seconds you have a low-fat, vegetarian, and packed with some protein smoothie that will fill you for hours, it works for me!!:smile:
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I love love love spinach smoothies. I was skeptical at first but they are amazing! My favorite has one banana, 1 cup almond milk (unsweetened), 1 cup ice, 1 tb sp peanut butter, 2 cups of spinach. You can find other recipes online.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Use soy "ground beef" substitute and make pasta with it. Also, there are amazing soy "chicken" tenders. I LOVE those things!
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I like tossed salads for lunch. You can add grilled or broiled chicken; kidney beans or black beans also make nice salad additions.