Tuna

Options
Ok, so I have decided to need to get over my fear of tuna. I didn't like it when I was a kid, and sometimes the smell makes me want to gag! :sick: So, my question is this...has anyone else "seen the light" and now likes tuna, and how did you do it??? What are some great ways to prepare it? Any ideas are MORE than welcome!!!

Replies

• 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    Yeah...I'm not a "fishy" person either. I do however prepare a tuna sandwich for my Hubby.

A good way to have it is the way my Italian Mother prepares it.

She adds little mayo with chopped onions, little relish or celery for crunchy texture. Then adds provolone cheese atop. Finally she either toasts the bread (your choice...whole wheat or white) or cooks it in a pan like a grilled cheese sandwich...all crispy. Yum:drinker:
  • shansd
    shansd Posts: 48
    Options
    i do tuna with apples chopped up and mayo and I think its delish.
    melting with cheese is so good to.
    only problem is mayo+cheese+bread starts to add up to a high cal meal.

maybe try a tuna steak, you can just sear it or cook it all the way and its pretty good.
  • missbabybee
    Options
    If it's the fishiness that gets you, try squeezing some lemon juice over it before adding your mayo (or greek yogurt combo). That will help freshen the flavor and add a little bit of acid to balance out the mayo.

I also like it a little spicy so I add about a tbsp of the brine from a jar of jalapenos from the fridge.

:flowerforyou:
  • Chickiebabe151
    Options
    Unless you eat Albacore Tuna plain, I don't find it a helathy food. Once you add the mayo and the bread for the sandwich it's suddenly high in fat and carbs. Not to mention it's high in Mercury. You're only supposed to have it once or twice a week because of that. If you're wanting to eat it just for the fatty acids, take a supplement.
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I love avacado tuna and onions.
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Tuna + Olive oil + sundried tomatoes + crushed red pepper + dried oregano atop a bed of field greens. Doesn't get much better than that... save for maybe avocado + tuna, which is also yummy.

My trick is to buy white albacore. It has better flavor.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    Please remember the albacore is the type high in mercury, the light tuna tests lower....just a thought!