why am i not losing?

Options
2»

Replies

• _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    you migt not be eating enough calories, I would check out this group, there is a lot of good information
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

best advice ever..i rarely stray from this group :wink:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Remember muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're gaining weight it could be muscle. Take your measurements and record them once a week. If you don't lose weight but lose inches it will be encouraging.:heart:

This is 100% false. First, you need to eat at a calorie surplus to gain mass as you can't create something from nothing. Second, you need a workout routine that would substantiate muscle growth (and walking/cardio won't build muscle) and lastly women can only gain about 1/2 a lb of muscle as week and that is even difficult to do.

Water weight fluctuation is more likely the cause but there are a few things you should evaluate; am I eating enough (below is general guidelines to how much you can lose based on your goals) and how has your diet been (did you have a lot of sodium based items the day before which will cause water flucuation)

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • erinfreck2
    Options
    girlfriend!!! the scale is the devil!!! do not weigh again for at least one month. you are starting a new life style and your body is waking up. muscles weigh more and walking will build them up some. eat more is another thing. you need to be at 1200 at least on days you dont workout and days you do 1350 to 1500 is a good range. of course all whole wheat, veggies, fruit and lean meat. alcohol needs to be cut out or lowered to at least one special day a week. alcohol of any kind turns off your metabolism for at least 48 hrs!! so one glass a night can be affecting your balance. finally, you are awesome and are doing something that is good for you. dont forget why your doing this or why you made the decision to do it. oh, another footnote, stress is the number one reason people do not loose weight. do all the healthy things and just let your body take its natural course. all your "goals" will fall into place. for now just enjoy knowing you made the commitment to be healthy.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Try adding in more veggies. A week is not much time, just keep doing what your doing right and reassess in a month.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Remember muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're gaining weight it could be muscle. Take your measurements and record them once a week. If you don't lose weight but lose inches it will be encouraging.:heart:

This is 100% false. First, you need to eat at a calorie surplus to gain mass as you can't create something from nothing. Second, you need a workout routine that would substantiate muscle growth (and walking/cardio won't build muscle) and lastly women can only gain about 1/2 a lb of muscle as week and that is even difficult to do.

Water weight fluctuation is more likely the cause but there are a few things you should evaluate; am I eating enough (below is general guidelines to how much you can lose based on your goals) and how has your diet been (did you have a lot of sodium based items the day before which will cause water flucuation)

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

This.

Plus the fact that a week is barely enough time to tell if you're making progress. Slow your roll a little and focus on building healthy habits instead of the number on the scale.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Youre expecting insane results too fast.
  • CX24
    CX24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I found I had to go to a low-carb eating plan to lose. I did it for 2 weeks, then added more carbs but kept calories in range. Maybe you are carb sensitive.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Two and a half year old thread.