SHBoss

Options
2»

Replies

• annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    The condition and elasticity of your skin determines how much (if any) loose skin you are left with. Excess skin is affected by how much weight you have to lose and how quickly you lose it. The quicker you lose weight, the bigger the problem you will have with elasticity of your skin.

The older you are when you lose weight, the less likely it is that your skin will "snap back" to its original shape because skin becomes less elastic as it ages.)(I know, that sucks for us older people).

How long you have been overweight or obese can make a difference in the skin's ability to snap back. The less time you have spent being overweight, the more likely it is that your skin will return to normal.

Also, this is one of those things that varies from person to person and you won't know if it's a problem for you until it happens.

If you have loose skin now, it's important that you give your skin time to recover from your weight loss. You may find that in time, your skin will become more firm as you tone up and increase muscle. After a year or two, I would consider going to your doctor if you plan to do surgery.

For me, I will just accept that I have loose skin...there are too many other things in life that I can spend my hard earned money on :smile:

I'm not Banks, thats for sure, but I sure hope this helped out.
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options
    The condition and elasticity of your skin determines how much (if any) loose skin you are left with. Excess skin is affected by how much weight you have to lose and how quickly you lose it. The quicker you lose weight, the bigger the problem you will have with elasticity of your skin.

The older you are when you lose weight, the less likely it is that your skin will "snap back" to its original shape because skin becomes less elastic as it ages.)(I know, that sucks for us older people).

How long you have been overweight or obese can make a difference in the skin's ability to snap back. The less time you have spent being overweight, the more likely it is that your skin will return to normal.

Also, this is one of those things that varies from person to person and you won't know if it's a problem for you until it happens.

If you have loose skin now, it's important that you give your skin time to recover from your weight loss. You may find that in time, your skin will become more firm as you tone up and increase muscle. After a year or two, I would consider going to your doctor if you plan to do surgery.

For me, I will just accept that I have loose skin...there are too many other things in life that I can spend my hard earned money on :smile:

I'm not Banks, thats for sure, but I sure hope this helped out.
    deffinately helped out a lot ty.....:flowerforyou: i'm still young so i think i may have a chance...it's not super loose its just stretched out from having two kids ......but it''s been about 5 yrs since ive been over weight....i gained a total of 45lbs each pregnancy but i never lost the weight from the first one......luckily i still maxed out at 155lbs the only thing is at 4'10" thats a lot of weight lol...i guess ill just start doing a lot of crunches and sit ups etc and see how it goes *crosses her fingers* wishhhhh me luck :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Fieldsy,

How much was just the 'TT'? My guy has lost over 100 lbs and has another 30-40 to go, and has a lot of excess tummy skin. THe rest of him is firming up nicely, but the tummy got stretched out the most, I guess (and for the longest).

Thanks! PM if you'd prefer :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    what annaliza said. :tongue:

I would add to that by saying only this:

Certain micronutrients are very important to skin recovery, good healthy fats are vital as they do a lot of the transporting for many of these (fat soluble) vitamins as well.

So along with giving it time, and trying NOT to tan the area (sun damage will also hamper skin recovery), make sure you do some research into what vitamins and minerals are vital for healthy skin.

specifically, the following vitmains and minerals are very important, make sure you get them all in at least RDA amounts

Vitamins C, E, A, K, and B complex

and

Selenium, Copper, Zinc, Alpha-Lipoic Acid are all vital to healthy skin.

there are other things that can help, anti-oxidents help a lot, and there are moisturizers that can provide some of the nutrients needed, but to be sure, most of it will come from your diet.

oh, and by the way, thank you for the props lady. I appreciate the support. :flowerforyou:
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Fieldsy,

How much was just the 'TT'? My guy has lost over 100 lbs and has another 30-40 to go, and has a lot of excess tummy skin. THe rest of him is firming up nicely, but the tummy got stretched out the most, I guess (and for the longest).

Thanks! PM if you'd prefer :)

TT was 4,500 plus hospital fees. It really depends on the location and the dr, but for me it was about 7,000 for it......well worth it!

The closer he hits his goal weight the better. I am about 20lbs from my goal weight and think that seems close enough. If I was still losing weight weekly I would of waited, but I hit a plateau for so long so just had it now.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    what annaliza said. :tongue:

I would add to that by saying only this:

Certain micronutrients are very important to skin recovery, good healthy fats are vital as they do a lot of the transporting for many of these (fat soluble) vitamins as well.

So along with giving it time, and trying NOT to tan the area (sun damage will also hamper skin recovery), make sure you do some research into what vitamins and minerals are vital for healthy skin.

specifically, the following vitmains and minerals are very important, make sure you get them all in at least RDA amounts

Vitamins C, E, A, K, and B complex

and

Selenium, Copper, Zinc, Alpha-Lipoic Acid are all vital to healthy skin.

there are other things that can help, anti-oxidents help a lot, and there are moisturizers that can provide some of the nutrients needed, but to be sure, most of it will come from your diet.

oh, and by the way, thank you for the props lady. I appreciate the support. :flowerforyou:

I take a One A Day Weight Smart Advanced vitamin every day. The label says it has at least 100% or more of the recommended daily allowance of a number of different vitamins with the exception of vitamin A=50%; calcium=20% and magnesium=13%. In your opinion is this a good thing and am I really getting what the label says? please say yes please say yes please say yes :bigsmile:
  • mommared53
    Options
    Bump. Boss where'd you go?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    why I went to work out of course :happy: (it's my lunch time, so I work out at lunch then bring my power packed salad back to my desk to eat).

To answer your question, no, vitamin suppliments do not give you what they claim. There's something called Bio-availability. You should google it, vitamin suppliments don't digest the same way that vitamins dissolved in foods do, and the body can't absorb them as readilly. Depending on the quality of the pill, you will get anywhere from 20 to 70% of what they say.
  • mommared53
    Options
    Thanks. I did do a little research and it looks like I'm pretty much throwing my money away on something I don't really need anyway. :ohwell: I think when I finish this bottle (I have a week and a half left) I won't buy any more.
  • linc2009
    Options
    Since you're the one that i find with the most useful knowledge that i've read( no offense to others, its just MPO that he has a lot of health knowledge) anyway sooooooo.....i had a question....since i'm losing the weight I have a little extra skin on my stomach from having 2 children...nothing real excessive but i was wondering if i were to start strength training right now and get muscle....do u think that it would tighten up and get rid of that loose skin look :ohwell:

p.s. thank u in advance :laugh: :bigsmile:

Okay, here is what I saw on Oprah...not saying it works or not, just saying I saw it. Well you remember Star Jones? She had gastric bypass and Oprah asked her what happened with all her excess skin. Star told her that it was actually pilates that helped with that. She swore that helped. Now you know that lady lost tons of weight, so I would hope that if it worked for her, it would work for me, who wants to lose 20 pounds.

I also have 2 kids, my youngest is almost 4 months and I have the loose skin syndrome. So I am going to start my Windsor Pilates videos soon, its worth a shot right? And of course, pilates is known to tone anyway, so you are getting that benefit even if does or doesnt help with the skin.

My sister and I call it the "skin roll." You gotta have a sense of humor about it! Also, I think that, for me, I would try everything I could, including time, diet, exercise etc before I considered surgery.

Good luck! Let me know if you hear of anything else...I'm always on the prowl :laugh: for anything that might help.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    why I went to work out of course :happy: (it's my lunch time, so I work out at lunch then bring my power packed salad back to my desk to eat).

To answer your question, no, vitamin suppliments do not give you what they claim. There's something called Bio-availability. You should google it, vitamin suppliments don't digest the same way that vitamins dissolved in foods do, and the body can't absorb them as readilly. Depending on the quality of the pill, you will get anywhere from 20 to 70% of what they say.

:sad: but it would be so much easier
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Since you're the one that i find with the most useful knowledge that i've read( no offense to others, its just MPO that he has a lot of health knowledge) anyway sooooooo.....i had a question....since i'm losing the weight I have a little extra skin on my stomach from having 2 children...nothing real excessive but i was wondering if i were to start strength training right now and get muscle....do u think that it would tighten up and get rid of that loose skin look :ohwell:

p.s. thank u in advance :laugh: :bigsmile:

Okay, here is what I saw on Oprah...not saying it works or not, just saying I saw it. Well you remember Star Jones? She had gastric bypass and Oprah asked her what happened with all her excess skin. Star told her that it was actually pilates that helped with that. She swore that helped. Now you know that lady lost tons of weight, so I would hope that if it worked for her, it would work for me, who wants to lose 20 pounds.

I also have 2 kids, my youngest is almost 4 months and I have the loose skin syndrome. So I am going to start my Windsor Pilates videos soon, its worth a shot right? And of course, pilates is known to tone anyway, so you are getting that benefit even if does or doesnt help with the skin.

My sister and I call it the "skin roll." You gotta have a sense of humor about it! Also, I think that, for me, I would try everything I could, including time, diet, exercise etc before I considered surgery.

Good luck! Let me know if you hear of anything else...I'm always on the prowl :laugh: for anything that might help.

Pilates or any cardio workout will do minimal help to reduce excess skin. Weight lifting would be more beneficial to you, especially on a bulking phase (eating more than required to gain muscle) to fill in the excess skin.