Peer pressure...

Options
I just moved into an apartment with 3 roommates who are great friends. The thing is- they don't really think about what they eat and don't really like to work out. I, on the other hand, log onto this site all the time, am constantly trying to make healthy decisions, and like to workout at least once a day 5 days a week.

I'm a little worried that my habits will change and I will start slacking on the "healthy lifestyle" I'm trying to achieve... Especially when classes start and I start to get stressed out again.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been in this situation.. Any advice about how you stayed on track would be SOOOO appreciated!! It's gotta be better to figure out how to stay on the wagon than how to get back after you fall off, right?

Thanks so much!!

Replies

• cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Im right there with you, only I don't have any roommates except for my other half. But I can tell you that I usually gain 5-10 ibs during any given semester (especially finals). It can be so hard when you dont have time to make yourself something to eat because you cannot bear walking away from the computer or a study session...then you are starving and anything will do. Never mind the cafe at school.
    The thing that has broken me of these habits is that I make my food for three or four days at a time. I grill a few chicken breasts, steam some shrimp, wash and cut up veggies, make a huge salad, and steam a few servings of brown rice. I put them all in labled pyrex (tupperware), so it is easy to make healthy and QUICK decisions when you are starving.
    I also make a habit of taking at least one meal and a few snacks to school with me in an insulated lunch carrier. It doesnt have to be a large one, just enough to fit what you take. AND...dont take any cash with you! The vending machines can be very tempting when you are hungry! :ohwell:
    As far as your roomates go, it should be no problem avoiding their habits if you are creating your own. You might even rub off on them!. Good luck in the new semester! Hope this helped.
    :bigsmile:
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I just moved into an apartment with 3 roommates who are great friends. The thing is- they don't really think about what they eat and don't really like to work out. I, on the other hand, log onto this site all the time, am constantly trying to make healthy decisions, and like to workout at least once a day 5 days a week.

I'm a little worried that my habits will change and I will start slacking on the "healthy lifestyle" I'm trying to achieve... Especially when classes start and I start to get stressed out again.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been in this situation.. Any advice about how you stayed on track would be SOOOO appreciated!! It's gotta be better to figure out how to stay on the wagon than how to get back after you fall off, right?

Thanks so much!!

ahhhh I know exactly what you mean....I hate it too

Temptation is so much harder when its so close to you. Some tips that help me...

Hang up a chart on your fridge of your weekly weigh in. Look at it every time you open up the fridge. It helps you remember of your challenge.

I know this sounds a little mean, but just kind of think to yourself how much better your gonna look and feel then your friends. Don't say it outloud lol, just kinda get into that swagger attitude.

Buy your own food
  • chickalistic
    chickalistic Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    While I don't have roommates, I do live with my boyfriend and our 6 kids. During the first few days of this little journey of mine they were very careful about not eating junk in front of me, etc. All the "snack" stuff was kept in our extra refrigerator, so that it wasn't in my face every time I opened the fridge for my foods.

After a few days, everything went back to normal and the groceries got put in the main fridge. Dinner time went back to normal, meaning they were eating carb/fat-laden meals. It drove me crazy at first. The only way I found around it was for me to sit down, eat my meal and then leave the table. I would distract myself by cleaning so that I was burning calories instead of adding them. Once I got my mind focused on something else, I didn't think about how bad I wanted that big piece of cornbread smothered in butter... or the homemade mac-n-cheese loaded with carbs/fat.

Perhaps you can head to the library to study or go for a walk while they're eating? Also, I've found that I want to eat because I see others eating. So, when they're eating their oreos or cupcakes, I grab some string cheese or some tabasco dill pickles. It seems to be a mind thing. As long as I'm eating something with them, it doesn't seem to bother me that it's not junk food. Good luck to you.
  • SaraAnne
    SaraAnne Posts: 53
    Options
    Wow thanks guys. That made me feel a lot better :)
    You're the best!!
  • kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    Know how you feel too. I live with my boyfriend and two rooommates. They all eat very unhealthy and yet don't gain weight like I do. Also they can go all day on barely anything to eat and then binge. It bugs me sooo much!! I want to cook for them but they don't eat what I eat so they normally turn their nose up or eat a lil and then go back to the fridge and grab their snacks. So I feel where you're coming from. Weekends are hte hardest too when all of us are home for the most part.