How to maintain?

Options
Ok, so I am far from my ultimate goal weight but the question I have on my mind is what to do once I am there?

I hear all of the time that maintaining is hard. Wouldn't it be easier because you get to eat more? Or do you have the "I am at my goal weight now so I will not count calories"- which is why some may gain the weight back?

How do you know how much you can eat anyways?

Thanks,
Missy

Replies

• charliecat39
    Options
    I was thinking of still logging calories just upping the amount to a maintainable level. It's so easy to eat too much when you are not tracking. I'll weigh myself once a week and if I see myself gaining, I would lower calories. I would be so worried about gaining too much. After all the good work we've all done, I wouldn't want to ruin that.

There might be a better answer to this... I'll wait and see :)
  • missymuffet459
    Options
    I figured I would slowly up my calories too, and weigh-in every week. I don't know if there is a better way. Wondering why eating more would be harder for people. I haven't been there myself so I really am curious!
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Decide on a weight you don't want to go over.

Weigh yourself every day.

If you hit your "red line" weight, start counting calories again. It will remind you of how many calories are in things and portion sizes and you can drop the few you gained before a "few" becomes 50.

That's my plan, anyway :happy:
  • missymuffet459
    Options

If you hit your "red line" weight, start counting calories again. It will remind you of how many calories are in things and portion sizes and you can drop the few you gained before a "few" becomes 50.

Hmmm..... I like the idea of having a "red line weight". I wonder if weighing in every day would make you crazy though? Great ideas!
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    i am maintaining right now. i still count calories every day (sometimes i have non-logging days, usually on the weekends when i feel like i deserve to cheat).

i weight myself two to three times/wk (every day would make me crazy). i read somewhere that once you hit goal, you should weigh at least twice/wk to make sure you are staying on track and also to see how certain foods, etc. are affecting your body.

maintaining is hard because you don't have the awesome feeling of losing weight and seeing a number go down on the scale. it's hard to stay motivated. i've heard people set different goals for themselves to stay on track, such as lifting a certain amount of weight or running a certain distance within a certain time limit. whatever can keep you motivated!

ETA: i do have a "red line" weight as you are calling it. if i hit that number, then i know i need to make better food/exercise choices!
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Hmmm..... I like the idea of having a "red line weight". I wonder if weighing in every day would make you crazy though? Great ideas!

Depends on you. I don't get bothered by it, but my weight tends to fluctuate quite a bit from day to day. I don't stress over the number unless it is steadily going up. I need to weigh every day because otherwise it's too easy to forget and let those pounds sneak on. I don't want to count calories or stress about my weight for the rest of my life, I just need a 5 second morning reminder to keep in the back of my head so I remain aware of my choices, know what I mean?
  • missymuffet459
    Options
    i am maintaining right now. i still count calories every day (sometimes i have non-logging days, usually on the weekends when i feel like i deserve to cheat).

i weight myself two to three times/wk (every day would make me crazy). i read somewhere that once you hit goal, you should weigh at least twice/wk to make sure you are staying on track and also to see how certain foods, etc. are affecting your body.

maintaining is hard because you don't have the awesome feeling of losing weight and seeing a number go down on the scale. it's hard to stay motivated. i've heard people set different goals for themselves to stay on track, such as lifting a certain amount of weight or running a certain distance within a certain time limit. whatever can keep you motivated!

You look great kaitlyn! It makes sense what you said about not seeing the number going down. I have never thought about it that way. Congrats on your success!

ETA: i do have a "red line" weight as you are calling it. if i hit that number, then i know i need to make better food/exercise choices!