Addicted to sugar?? It makes me feel better!

Options
Ok, so here is the scoop. I was feeling run-down and kinda crappy today. No appetite, etc but I still ate a bit of my breakfast and lunch. I have a doctors appointment later this afternoon. But why...when I ate some chocolate I felt better almost immediately? I think this is a problem, am I addicted to sugar? Anyone else have an issue/experience like this?

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Chocolate contains chemicals that react on the brain to make you feel good and, of course, give you energy. Its very temporary, though.
  • arserine
    arserine Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    From what I've learned, Crochetluvr is more or less right. Chocolate may actually work on the reward system, but the fact that you've trained yourself, not intentionally, but over a lifetime, to feel better when you eat chocolate works on that same reward system. It's the idea of a psychological addiction, such as that to watching tv, or to some extent gambling. You feel bad, you eat sugar, something else makes you feel better, but you attribute it to the sugar. Next time when you feel bad and eat sugar the same thing happens again, until it happens so many times that you can repete the process without the other thing making you feel better. You eat chocolate, you activate the reward system, and you feel better. (I'm not an expert, I might be mixing some ideas up here, but I think the general idea is the same.) Basically, yes, it is possible that you're addicted to sugar, but it's not just the ingredients themselves that you're addicted to, it's also the idea of it.
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    Great insight from you both. I had never thought of it that way arserine, but it certainly makes sense.
  • bmarshall123
    Options
    I like sugar. It doesn't have to be chocolate. Any kind of candy, Ice cream, cookies, cake, anything sweet. I crave it. My mother told me if they have a additction like alcoholisum for sweets, I would have it. I just cazn't keep it in the house. Sometimes, I will go and get it and of course it is more than just 1.
  • pinksparklevapor1965
    Options
    this happens to me to I know im addicted so much im no better than a perosn on amy other drugs this is so crazy.. I also know that im not alone this habit is all accoss the spectrum:drinker: well im giving it up means no coffee for me because I cant drink coffee without cream and sugar ill have my first cup of rawhide coffee cowboys style thats what it is for me LOL :heart: