Alternative to Whey Protein?

Options
Ok, so I know I should be having a type of recovery drink after each workout (doing P90X). Went into GNC and got some Whey ISO Protein burst. I've tried it before and ended up throwing it all up after my workout. I thought maybe it was just the flavor that turned my stomach (cookies and cream). So I thought I'd try the chocolate one, tried it today and as soon as I took a sip, my stomach turned instantly!!

So...thinking I might have a sensitivity to something in it. Just wondering if anyone knows of a good alternative to have after a workout? (funny thing is, I can drink the meal replacement shakes no problem - I buy the PC brand (those in Canada will know the brand)).

Replies

• blackdiva60
    blackdiva60 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've had some bad experiences with GNC's Whey Protein Products. It may be the additional fillers that are added to the powder. It used to give me headaches whether I mixed it with water or milk. Now I drink Bolthouse Farm Whey/Soy Protein Plus-Chocolate Drink. 30g protein per 15.2 oz . It's gluten-free and no GMOs. Doesn't taste chalky either. You can find it in any grocery store.
  • bzgl40
    bzgl40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    you do not need a recovery drink, no matter how many times dude says it on the DVD. You could just eat regular food after. I always work out before breakfast and just have my breakfast after. Same result.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You could try, rice, hemp or pea protein instead of whey (which is derived from dairy).

myvega.com/
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    I had a bad reaction to their protein, too. I tried Optimum Nutrition's 100% natural protein and had no issues.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I know I should be having a type of recovery drink after each workout (doing P90X)

false
  • smoffette
    smoffette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Vega protein powder is good. No common allergens, and lots of vitamins & minerals in with the protein.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I know I should be having a type of recovery drink after each workout (doing P90X). Went into GNC and got some Whey ISO Protein burst. I've tried it before and ended up throwing it all up after my workout. I thought maybe it was just the flavor that turned my stomach (cookies and cream). So I thought I'd try the chocolate one, tried it today and as soon as I took a sip, my stomach turned instantly!!

So...thinking I might have a sensitivity to something in it. Just wondering if anyone knows of a good alternative to have after a workout? (funny thing is, I can drink the meal replacement shakes no problem - I buy the PC brand (those in Canada will know the brand)).

How about getting protein from a natural source, like nuts. Peanut butter is packed with protein. Or any other nut butter. Heathy fats as well.
  • smoffette
    smoffette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    http://myvega.com/products/vega-one-shake/features-benefits

Although I agree, that you can just eat real food too instead of a shake.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

How about getting protein from a natural source, like nuts. Peanut butter is packed with protein. Or any other nut butter. Heathy fats as well.

Nuts and nut butters are about 2/3 fat and 1/3 protein. there are much more efficient ways to get protein.
  • bbateman123
    bbateman123 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I do P90 when I get home after work, then eat supper, works just as good or better. If needed I will eat a PB&J sammich.
  • SteviePaige
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!! I've thought about just eating a meal after the workout as well. I usually try and do my workouts in the morning before breakfast anyway. I might give some of the other protein drink suggestions a try too...good to know I wasn't the only one who had a reaction to this stuff. :)
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I had a bad reaction to their protein, too. I tried Optimum Nutrition's 100% natural protein and had no issues.

This. Double Rich Chocolate is delish. Tastes like chocolate milk!
  • nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE Vega fan too. I do the Vega Sport products
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I know I should be having a type of recovery drink after each workout (doing P90X).

Replace "drink" with "snack". Make the snack something with some complex carbohydrates, a little potassium, and some protein.

A half a peanut butter and banana sandwich on good 12-grain bread (be generous with the peanut butter!) is an excellent after-exercise refueling snack, as an example.

You don't need expensive engineered products to refuel you after a workout. Good healthy food is cheap and gets the job done just fine.