I am way confused?????

guidosgal
guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I have read the posts on this but I guess I need some clarification (PLEASE) The question is I have to at least eat my bmr calories to not enter stavation mode? Because my BMR say I am at 1545 now I have lost a few inches but no pounds which is fine But I started at 1250 calories per day and my Husband said it was not enough so I bupmed it to 1450. Please give some advice.
Thanks Pam

Replies

• adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    It depends on how active you are, your current size, and how much weight you have to lose. So if you have less than 30 pounds to lose, it's going to take a lot longer than someone who has 100 pounds to lose to drop the first 30 pounds...

MFP seems accurate on what your caloric intake is. If you're not gaining, then you're doing something right. Remember to eat your exercise cals, that's where you can go into starvation mode quite easily.

If you give a little more info about yourself, maybe we can be more specific in helping you. :wink:
  • guidosgal
    Thanks I weigh 210 but I started at 227 in may. (lost that weight from being really ill) I am 5.5 feet tall I an moderatly active I work out with boxing for 30 minutes a day 6 days aweek. ( I cant do to much more than that because I haveM.S and my legs go numb after a period of time. My daughter has C.P so I pysically am helping her alot. I have keeped my calorie in take in range every day and I drink my water. I try and eat my exercise calories too. I am staying about 1370 calories and I keep my Fats and sugars and soduim on the low side of whats required. I appericiate the help :flowerforyou:
  • guidosgal
    Oh and I would like to get down to 175 to start and then go from there I am not in a hurry to do it I want it to be right instead of fast
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Good luck rootbeergirl .... your on the right track
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    BMR is basal metabolic rate, that is the least amount of energy for you to just survive like laying in bed 24/7. But you need to know your maintenance calories (to maintain your current weight), the amount you need to function through your daily tasks, which should be more than your BMR amount. So once you know that amount, then you can subtract from that number, to lose weight. for 1lb a week you would deduct 500 cal. Now when you exercise the MFP food diary will give you those calories to eat to keep your deficit to only 500. You shouldn't go more than 1,000 calories deficit, that can trigger your metabolism to go into starvation mode.

When you have a lot of lbs to lose 500 to 1,000 calorie deficit is okay but as you have less and less to lose you need to cut your deficit down again to keep your metabolism going. Those last 10lbs are the hardest because your deficit is so small but it's the best way to keep that 10lbs from coming back to haunt you.

HTH,

Demetria
This discussion has been closed.