Fibre

Hi,

After dealing with digestive problems I've had a good look at my diet and realise that I'm really low on fibre, I was shocked at how low I am! I was wondering what everybody does to make sure they are getting enough fibre and protein in their diets while staying within your calorie allowance?

Thanks

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Along with trying to eat lots for fruits and vegetable I add some bran to my morning cereal and have a glass of water with a teaspoon of Metamucil after dinner. (My doctor got me doing this a few years ago, combined with exercise it's meant no cholesterol meds....regularity has never been a problem in my family)
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Bran cereal for breakfast along with oat bran on most days.
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, chick peas, beans, lentils! You can have a look at my diary if you like, I'm aiming for 30g of fibre per day plus. Beans have plenty of protein too but I often have meat of some kind for my evening meal, with a ton of veggies.

I home bake to but make healthy alternatives which are usually made with stoneground wholemeal flour for added fibre.

I don't manage it everyday but think I am above average mostly. Had a bad day today, too much home made banana and walnut bread!
  • roodledoodle
    roodledoodle Posts: 183
    Lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, chick peas, beans, lentils! You can have a look at my diary if you like, I'm aiming for 30g of fibre per day plus. Beans have plenty of protein too but I often have meat of some kind for my evening meal, with a ton of veggies.

I home bake to but make healthy alternatives which are usually made with stoneground wholemeal flour for added fibre.

I don't manage it everyday but think I am above average mostly. Had a bad day today, too much home made banana and walnut bread!

Thanks for all that info - I did just have a little peak at your diary which has helped to see how it can add up - didn't realise how much fibre is in raspberries!
  • roodledoodle
    Thanks for the replies, you've all been really helpful. I'll definitely be adding a few other foods into my trolley now and will change things up a bit :flowerforyou:
  • eleanorpie
    eleanorpie Posts: 25 Member
    I like to have my morning egg and egg white with black beans, or spinach and sauteed veggies like peppers or mushrooms. I'll even eat an egg over steamed broccoli!

Grains like millet and quinoa are also pretty tasty if you cook them right - plus add chopped up greens (kale is my favorite) to everything you can! Stirred into soups, or under your protein and pasta sauce. It's superfood! Apples are also great, and lower in sugar than a lot of other fruits.
  • roodledoodle
    I like to have my morning egg and egg white with black beans, or spinach and sauteed veggies like peppers or mushrooms. I'll even eat an egg over steamed broccoli!

Grains like millet and quinoa are also pretty tasty if you cook them right - plus add chopped up greens (kale is my favorite) to everything you can! Stirred into soups, or under your protein and pasta sauce. It's superfood! Apples are also great, and lower in sugar than a lot of other fruits.

Thanks for that, good idea to stir other things into pasta sauce and soups x