Wanting to "lift heavy"... but too weak to start!

Options
LaurenAOK
LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
I'm wondering if other women have dealt with this!

I've never been very into athletics, except basketball in middle school and dance all through high school. That being said, I've never been very strong at all. Especially after I graduated high school and stopped dancing.

Now I've been wanting to start "lifting heavy" as I've seen such great success stories with it. The problem is, I feel I don't have the physical capacity to lift heavy at all! I completed Stage 1 of NROLFW but the most I could use by the end was 10-15lb dumbbells depending on the exercise (I don't have access to a barbell so I have to use dumbbells. Yeah, no barbell at my little gym, it sucks.) Yesterday I attempted a bench press for the first time and I could only do 2 sets of 8 reps at 65lbs. I felt so pathetic!

I just feel kind of discouraged because I always see posts on here of women being like, "Just started lifting heavy today, squatted with a 75lb barbell and it felt great!" Lol I don't think I could even pick up a standard 45lb barbell of the ground, let alone squat with it. I squat with about 25lbs (two 12.5lb dumbbells) right now and it's often hard for me to finish 10 reps!

Don't get me wrong, I've gotten stronger... a copule of months ago I couldn't even do two push-ups and now I can do ten, though it's a struggle. I did used to use 10lbs to squat and now I'm up to 25lbs so that's something I know... it's just frustrating. I want to be one of those girls who lifts heavy and I'm envious of those who just jump right into it. Any other weak women out there going through the same thing?

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Heavy is subjective. Start with a weight you can lift 5 times tops, nom proteins, repeat. Your strength WILL increase if you really are putting in effort in the last 1 or 2 lifts. 65lbs is half your bodyweight - it's not bad, honestly.

As per squats... your legs are your strongest muscles so if you can bench 65lbs, I'm pretty sure you can squat more than that.

5-6 reps for strength which seems to be your aim.
    8-12 for hypertrophy.
    12+ for muscular endurance.

Go kick *kitten*.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    We ALL start somewhere. Do what you can and keep trying to improve each week. Even if you fail, try harder the following week. Abover all else, NEVER compare yourself to anyone else.
  • tapout22002
    Options
    The other poster is correct...lifting heavy for you may be a ten pound dumbell. For the 200 LB guy working out next to you it may be a 60 pound dumbell. If you're trying to lift for muscle gain/bulk I've been told you should be doing about 5-8 reps to muscle failure. Keep pushing for that last rep! I'm no trainer or expert, so maybe speak with a personal trainer at your gym to get on a fitness plan made just for you!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Starting off too heavy too fast is a big mistake. You're just screwing yourself over in the long run in terms of connective tissue damage/joint injuries. It doesn't do much in terms of getting in practice to learn the form either.

Start off by reading both of these if you are new to weight lifting:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/whats-the-best-way-to-teachlearn-a-new-exercise-qa.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-1.html
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If you can do a bench with 65lbs for 2 sets of 8 reps, you're stronger than you think!

Seriously!

It took me about 4 or 5 weeks to get up to 65 lbs on bench for 5 sets of 5 reps.

I was stuck at 50 lbs for the longest time.

And, heavy means what is heavy for you! I started the overhead press with 30 lbs, and I'm still only at 52.5 lbs after 8 weeks.

The most important part is to keep increasing the load. That can mean going up in weight or increasing in reps by at least a couple.

Before I got fractional weight plates, there was no way I could increase 5 lbs every time on the upper body lifts (lower body, no problem). Instead of the 5x5 I was trying for, I'd stay at the same weight and do 6/6/5/5/5 or 6/6/6/5/5 then the NEXT time I'd increase and try to do what I could, which may have only been 4/3/3/2/2 with new weight. I'd stay at that weight at least 3 times, trying to get to 5x5. Most of the time, by the third time, I've got it.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement! I guess "heavy" is a totally subjective term... it's just hard not to compare myself to others.

The reason I'm doing 10 reps instead of 6-8 is because I'm following NROLFW after hearing so much praise for it, and it has me doing 10 reps. Maybe I should try less reps? I don't know if altering the program is a good idea.

Interesting thought that if I can bench 65 I can squat that much... I swear by the 10th rep at 25lbs I feel like my legs are going to fall off! Maybe using a barbell instead of dumbbells would make a difference... too bad I'm just using my apartment complex's gym which doesn't have barbells. I can't afford a real gym membership right now.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Try out the program the way it was set up and see how your body reacts before making changes to it. There is a reason it was set up the way that it was.

Like the other posters said, 'heavy' is objective. Start where you can and if you stick with the program, you'll be using heavier weights in no time.
  • havegoodgetgive
    Options
    Is the bench press a machine?
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i was gonna say: don't knock benching 65!!!!

First of all, everyone starst somewhere.
    Second of all, if you feel you are hitting a wall, it might be that you aren't eating enough. It takes a lot of calories to build muscle.

third, here's some info on what kinda weights are considered "novice" and what's considered "expert"...note, these are one rep max (ORM):

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

The same website has a page where you can type in your weights and reps and itll give you your ORM.
  • Michelle81285
    Options
    You will build up to lifting heavy, just start with what you can handle and once that feels too easy up your weight! When I first starting lifting it was pretty pathetic but now I piss off some of the guys because I am using the weights they want :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    "Heavy" totally depends on the person. What's heavy for one person, may be light for another. It's all to do with the rep range.

Start with the bar, if the olympic bar is too heavy, I've sure there are some other pre-set bars that are lighter. Start "light" for you, and focus on good form. Once you have that perfected you can start upping the weight and lowering the reps.

You will get stronger in time :smile: I started off incredibly weak, but you just have to keep at it and you'll improve.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement! I guess "heavy" is a totally subjective term... it's just hard not to compare myself to others.

The reason I'm doing 10 reps instead of 6-8 is because I'm following NROLFW after hearing so much praise for it, and it has me doing 10 reps. Maybe I should try less reps? I don't know if altering the program is a good idea.

Interesting thought that if I can bench 65 I can squat that much... I swear by the 10th rep at 25lbs I feel like my legs are going to fall off! Maybe using a barbell instead of dumbbells would make a difference... too bad I'm just using my apartment complex's gym which doesn't have barbells. I can't afford a real gym membership right now.

Dont' judge one exercise by another. What you bench has nothing to do with what you can squat. Totally different muscle groups. I can squat a helluvalot, but I can't deadlift even moderate weights....and squats and DL's are more similar than a BP is to a squat. You are where you're at. And that's exactly where you should be. You start there, and work your way up. Don't be afraid to try upping weights as long as it feels safe, but don't beat yourself up if you can't do what other people do. Our bodies are different!
  • mattemery
    mattemery Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You are not too weak to lift heavy. Heavy is whatever you can lift 5-8 reps... 3 sets. Other people's definitions will vary slightly, but will be pretty close. If you can't lift it 5 times on all 3 sets, it's too much weight. if you can lift it more than 8 times all 3 sets, add a little weight.

If it's 10 lbs, it's 10 lbs. Don't try to lift too much and hurt yourself.

Congrats on getting started. Just stick with it.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Just keep on doing it! Eat well, rest, and lift as heavy as you can. You will get stronger!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Heavy is subjective. Start with a weight you can lift 5 times tops, nom proteins, repeat. Your strength WILL increase if you really are putting in effort in the last 1 or 2 lifts. 65lbs is half your bodyweight - it's not bad, honestly.

As per squats... your legs are your strongest muscles so if you can bench 65lbs, I'm pretty sure you can squat more than that.

5-6 reps for strength which seems to be your aim.
    8-12 for hypertrophy.
    12+ for muscular endurance.

Go kick *kitten*.

and
    We ALL start somewhere. Do what you can and keep trying to improve each week. Even if you fail, try harder the following week. Abover all else, NEVER compare yourself to anyone else.

/thread
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I just started Stronglifts 5X5 yesterday. I used the bar only for the first set and upped weight in 2.5lbs increments. It's all I can do for now but I'm so happy I did it! Start anywhere, just start! :flowerforyou:
  • BigAlfrn
    BigAlfrn Posts: 173 Member
    Options

he said it the best. great answer man.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    If you can do a bench with 65lbs for 2 sets of 8 reps, you're stronger than you think!

Seriously!

It took me about 4 or 5 weeks to get up to 65 lbs on bench for 5 sets of 5 reps.

I was stuck at 50 lbs for the longest time.

And, heavy means what is heavy for you! I started the overhead press with 30 lbs, and I'm still only at 52.5 lbs after 8 weeks.

The most important part is to keep increasing the load. That can mean going up in weight or increasing in reps by at least a couple.

Before I got fractional weight plates, there was no way I could increase 5 lbs every time on the upper body lifts (lower body, no problem). Instead of the 5x5 I was trying for, I'd stay at the same weight and do 6/6/5/5/5 or 6/6/6/5/5 then the NEXT time I'd increase and try to do what I could, which may have only been 4/3/3/2/2 with new weight. I'd stay at that weight at least 3 times, trying to get to 5x5. Most of the time, by the third time, I've got it.

totally agree with this post. when i started i couldn't even lift the empty bar and had to start with the wee girly 10k ones. just keep adding the weight - you'll get there :)
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    like others said Heavy is subjective...a lot is based on what you can do and what works for you...over time you will find it you can adjust to heavier weights...or may just stick it out where you are at...what is heavy for one person may be light for another.

I know I suck, suck, suck at squats with weights...I am doing well if I can squat with just a bar....because my form sucks...whereas my deadlifts I can haul quite a bit of weight...

I look at the term lifting heavy for me is - decent weight, good form, struggle after about 8 reps....

I used to go in and do 50 KB swings using a 12 lb kettlebell...now instead of that I might do 2 sets of 15 with a 24 lb kettle bell...the 1st workout I would barely break a sweat and think i was all pround because I did 50...whereas doing more weight with lower reps I find I break a sweat and really feel my muscles actually being used...
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

a neat lifting tracker for your phone (and they hve internet, too) Jefit. You can create your own routines and schedules. When I was lifting, I used this. (not doing it so much now... doing P90X and tracking on their log sheets instead.)