Why no weight loss?

Options
Hi all,

I'm writing because I am so frustrated!
I've always had a hard time losing weight, and I've done almost all of the diet tricks (Weight Watchers, Nutrisystem, LA Weight Loss, GI diet etc etc), until I finally decided that I would do it the old fashioned way...exercise and eat well. I write down everything I eat and always under my calorie goal, I rarely eat my exercise calories and I can not lose weight anymore! My heaviest was 220 lbs, I'm down to 198 and have been here for 6+ years and I am not happy . I'm 5'9", 37 year old female. Healthy, no thyroid conditions, I exercise 5 days a week (3 days of cardio, 2 days of strength training). I joined MFP in January 2012 when I was at 203, I did get down to 197, but now my weight seems to be levelling off at 198. I watch the balance of carbs to protein, track fats, sugars, etc and I cook 99% of my own food, I weigh my food and measure my portions. I give myself the weekends off for tracking, but I don't binge. I just let myself have a glass of wine or beer with my dinner, the rest of my food is within reason.
According to the BMI scale, an ideal weight for my height is the 145-169 range...but I'm not using this as even a goal at this point, I've targeted 175 as a healthy weight for me. I do put on muscle fairly easily, so I'm not using just the scale as an indicator. I'm tracking measurements and there's been no change there either. No inches lost and only 5-6 lbs (depends on the day) since JANUARY is a powerful de-motivator.
WHAT am I doing wrong. My doctor can find no medical reason for the lack of success.
Please help.

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    don't know - your diary's private.
  • barbcouperus
    barbcouperus Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    How do I make it public?
  • barbcouperus
    barbcouperus Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    found the settings..it should be public now...
  • brittanydilliard
    Options
    found the settings..it should be public now...
    try changing the 1% milk to fat free.... thats all i can say lol
  • joeystilley
    Options
    i think your weekends may be killing you.. 3500 calories is a pound and if you just eat around 1000 extra calories those 2 days and then drink another 500 calories on those days which is very easy to do. that's your 1lb that you could have lost. your diet during the week looks decent.. you may try dropping your calories by 100 but i wouldn't do much more than that. also you didn't mention anything about working out.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    You really need to track your weekend calories. I baked a key lime pie for fathers day so I pre-entered it so I could work my day around that. When I know I'm going to drink wine, I pre-enter that as well so I can budget for it. Logging food is not work, it's a tool to help you. If you skip the free for all days lol, then you don't know why you lost no weight that week.

I would recommend tracking your sugar as well. Try not having carbs at every meal. It could be that you're underestimating your food calories and over estimating your exercise calories. Do you use a heart rate monitor when you exercise?

It could be that since you're not eating your exercise calories, your body goes into starvation mode because you're not eating enough. I looked at last Tuesday and you ate less than 1200 calories! Your body needs a minimum of 1200 calories or your metabolism will slow.

Pork has a lot of cholesterol, try not to have that more than once a week.
  • vklebanova
    vklebanova Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    How intense are your workouts? Are you pushing yourself to the absolute muscle aching maximum? How's your water intake? Are you drinking half your weight in oz per day? If not.. that could cause problems! Try increasing your water intake!
  • joslin2005
    joslin2005 Posts: 138
    Options
    Have you tried increasing your calories? Your body could be in starvation mode if your not eating your exercise calories.

You might try increasing your exercise time, intensity, or workout routine to get you out of the plateau. I was reading an article a few days ago about how your body memorizes a workout and learns how to run off fewer calories if you don't change the workout up.

How much water are you drinking? This is often preached but check out this article to why you need water for weight loss. http://www.caloriesperhour.com/tutorial_water.php

Are you accurately measuring and counting calories? Is everything wrote down? Make sure your portions are correct.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Quit drinking alcoholic beverages.
    Just stop totally.
    Let's see how that helps in 3 months.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    A quick glance at your diary shows you're eating way too many carbs and hardly any protein. You need meat at at least two meals. You need a balance on your plate of carbs, fat and protein. Beyond that, we'd have to know more about your situation.
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    your goal may be too high try revising it see if it changes you might just be eating way too much
  • Mattdemon
    Mattdemon Posts: 79
    Options
    Have you tried Medifast? It's awesome!
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and your protein looks low and you should log your weekends. When I quit losing weight at one point I lowered my calories by a few hundred and then started losing again.
  • Xochiquetzal3
    Options
    You might want to derease your carbs and increase your protein. Avoid alcohol because that turns into sugar :-)
    7736336.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    u clearly need to eat more
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you read up on keto/low-carb diets and see how it works. It might be the diet for u. This type of diet would have u restrict your carb intake and increase your protein intake. By restricting your carb intake, you will force your body to burn up your body fat for fuel. It is possible that u may be eating too much carbs. Be careful though, low carbs causes some people to be dizzy or woozy.
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    try talking to a nutritionist. I found it very helpful.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Confused. Again.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Log your weekends... those calories do count.

Try to eat the calories set for you. While you don't want to over eat, you also don't want to under eat.

You don't have to do low carb unless you have a medical reason for it. Most people are fine without doing any sort of low carb diet.

I would try to increase your protein.
  • Killing_Perfection
    Killing_Perfection Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I. Try eating back your exercise calories, or at least the bigger part of them, MFP already substracts the necessary amount.

II. As suggested by the others, try getting a HRM. Kickboxing is an intense sport, but sometimes MFP's estimations are over the top.

III. Caffeine and alcohol might be problematic, although I don't know how much of that you take in every day exactly. Alcohol can be especially bad for the muscles, even if it's just one glass of vodka.

IV. As mentioned before: log the weekends.

V. Try fixing more on strength? I only saw push-ups and kick boxing in the entries I looked at, you might want to try lifting or something similar. Every pound of muscles burns addition calories.

VI. I read something about your doctor not knowing what the problem is, but did you get checked for allergies? Perhaps you don't react well to some of the things you eat....

That's all I can think of right now~