what is the best exercise for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Ke11o
    Ke11o Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There is not a best "Work Out" but there is a better muscle! As the Quads and But are the largest the muscle they require the most energy (or burned fat) to work. This is why programs like Insanity or Zumba do some much jumping and squatting. So anything you can do with that in mind you should do fine!!!
  • WendyA1119
    WendyA1119 Posts: 53
    Options
    Elliptical and Arc Trainer are my fav cardio machines that burn mega calories. But I think anything that gets your heart rate up is awesome. But you have to push yourself just a little if you want to burn burn burn.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    It's the one you'll actually do on a regular basis. Whatever it may be. Soon you'll start wanting to try new things. It's more about consistently staying active....

maybe I should get off the computer now....
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose weight is by creating a calorie deficit. So I think what you're looking for is a huge calorie burning workout -

spinning classes
    running on the treadmill
    HIIT training (high intensity interval training)...they may offer classes that incorporate this
    Circuit training
    plyometrics
  • kuhayetee
    kuhayetee Posts: 41
    Options
    running :bigsmile:
    but thats just me. cardio & weight training!!!
  • Joy201
    Joy201 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Every person is different. You have to find what's right for you. I have found that lots of cardio using the elliptical machine and stairmaster burns the most calories for me. I will jog on the treadmill for variety, but don't see as much of a calorie burn when I do this. Good luck!
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Cross trainer are great! get your heart pumping :)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Something you love doing and makes you sweat. If you don't love it or at least sort of like it (lol) , you won't do it. If you don't sweat, it'll take longer to lose the weight. Keep trying until you find something that works for you. I started out just walking, then walking faster, then jogging and now biking and other stuff. Maybe try out the treadmill at the gym and see what it takes for you to work up a good sweat. Then switch it up with other machines. If you aren't familiar with them, have an instructor show you how to use them all.
    Good luck and I hope you find something you enjoy soon.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Find an exercise you love. Or an activity you love and an exercise that supports it. No exercise is going to produce immediate results, so you need to find another motivator.
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Running burns the most calories IMO. You want to keep your heart rate high during your workouts. Running is a good way to keep your heart rate up.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    For maintaining/building muscle while you lose fat do strength training 2-3 times a week. Do cardio in addition and have a 10-20 percent caloric deficit in your diet and you should see decent results
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    sitting on your hands so you dont eat too much :P
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Whatever you enjoy doing.
    What I like, you may hate.
  • hwillia1
    hwillia1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Running but if you haven't done this before build up gradually. Look up the couch to 5k plan. Interval training works for me, so a period of running followed by walking and repeat.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    For me I have been doing a lot of running, biking and calisthenics (using my own body weight i.e. squats, burpees, push-ups, etc).
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from calorie deficit, not exercise per se.

Muscle building comes from lifting heavy and calorie surplus.

While on a deficit, lifting heavy and maintaining good macros will preserve your existing muscle mass as much as possible.

So, most likely what you really want to do right now is eat a balanced diet at a moderate deficit and lift weights. There is a so-called beginner's effect too that a lot of people experience where they actually gain a small bit of muscle mass even while in deficit. If that happens, consider it a bonus. After your body fat is down to a reasonable level, you can consider bulking (adding lean mass).

What this guy^ said.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from calorie deficit, not exercise per se.

Muscle building comes from lifting heavy and calorie surplus.

While on a deficit, lifting heavy and maintaining good macros will preserve your existing muscle mass as much as possible.

So, most likely what you really want to do right now is eat a balanced diet at a moderate deficit and lift weights. There is a so-called beginner's effect too that a lot of people experience where they actually gain a small bit of muscle mass even while in deficit. If that happens, consider it a bonus. After your body fat is down to a reasonable level, you can consider bulking (adding lean mass).

yep
  • tanyaevans2010
    Options
    All had great advice and I think that I will try the Elliptical at the gym and walking at home with the dogs. I would love to work my way up to running, but I have never ever done it and not sure my joints could handle it. lol
    But to Clarify.. i am not looking at "muscle building" as in looking "buff", but more strength training.. I am weak and not much energy and WAY WAY WAY overweight and i know that building muscle as well as losing weight will spend up the weight loss process and I am tired of being TIRED and not being able to climb stairs.. so that is what I mean by "muscle building"..
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    All had great advice and I think that I will try the Elliptical at the gym and walking at home with the dogs. I would love to work my way up to running, but I have never ever done it and not sure my joints could handle it. lol
    But to Clarify.. i am not looking at "muscle building" as in looking "buff", but more strength training.. I am weak and not much energy and WAY WAY WAY overweight and i know that building muscle as well as losing weight will spend up the weight loss process and I am tired of being TIRED and not being able to climb stairs.. so that is what I mean by "muscle building"..

Then if you'r just getting into exercising I would highly recommend Leslie Sansone's walk at home DVD's. Great for a beginner and easy to follow! And remember just by staying with in your allotted calories MFP gives you puts you in the weigh loss zone!! That plus walking is an awesome start!
  • dentedearmuffs1
    Options
    I'm all for exercising and doing things you like. HOWEVER, I used to hit the gym by myself with my own routine (ellipticals, treadmill, machines, strength) but I then I started doing group fitness classes like spinning and conditioning classes and they completely DESTROYED ME (in a good way). And that's when I realized I was going easy on myself by building my own routine and such. Now because I have certified professionals direct me, I'm pushing myself more than I'd ever be able to on my own.

Maybe some people can push themselves further than I can by myself, but if you're looking to really challenge yourself, I really recommend group fitness classes like zumba, spinning, TRX, pilates, etc.. I think they're more fun anyways because everyone's suffering with you and it feels less lonely.

That's just my two cents.