protein powder and heavy lifting

Options
Not sure if this is a good place to post this - I've been running pretty hard for the past year but after completing my goal half-marathon this past weekend, I thought I'd add a little heavy lifting into my routine. First of all, can anyone suggest some excercises or point me in the direction of a website with diagrams for heavy lifting for women? secondly, someone mentioned I might want to have a whey protein powder drink after my workout to feed my muscles. There are so many different kinds out there - any suggestions? I don't want any artificial sweeteners and would love it if I could just mix with water.
please help, this is all new territory for me.

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    To be honest, in regards to lifting heavy, there aren't any special rules for guys vs girls. Just choose a site with videos and instructors who breakdown the movements and purposes of each exercise so you can understand.

Save yourself money by avoiding retail powders and buy your protein from custom webstores like trunutrition.com. You can choose from over 14 different protein sources, make custom blends, add Stevia for free, go unflavored or add flavors, add enzymes, etc. I use milk protein isolate because it is a slowly digesting protein (feeds muscles for up to 7 hours) which is more useful for me than a rapidly absorbing one like whey protein isolate (feeds muscles for 90 minutes). I even use MPI as a pre-workout, before bedtime and sometimes when I make fruit smoothies. Its nearly fat-free, cholesterol-free, and has 0 lactose and soy. Taste-wise, its like unflavored powder if you get it unflavored; Texture is very smooth like powder and not chalky at all; mixibility is excellent and can be diluted in water after shaking it for a few seconds. Because of these traits, its perfect for making high-protein brownies and treats. Just toss in fruits to make a delicious shake or smoothie.
  • stonerdude
    stonerdude Posts: 103
    Options
    notmilk.com
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Save yourself money by avoiding retail powders and buy your protein from custom webstores like trunutrition.com.

Yup, awesome site, high-quality products, and CHEAP.
  • icanmakepeople
    icanmakepeople Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    ok, thanks guys!
    any suggestions for heavy lifting sites?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    ok, thanks guys!
    any suggestions for heavy lifting sites?

My preferences
    1. Joe is an awesome trainer: http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/65-westside-for-skinny-*kitten*-part3.html
    2. EliteFTS.Com
    3. 5/3/1 second edition (eBook @ JimWendler.Com)
    4. Starting Strength by Mark Rippletoe (book)
    5. StrongLifts 5x5 - Good short-term beginner program
  • Vodkha
    Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition has good protein powder. I really like the mocha cappuccino! I alternate between that and extreme milk chocolate and both mix great in water. Most of their flavors get good ratings. I got mine from bodybuilding.com. Fast shipping and comparable prices from other places online I looked.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    You can get everything you need from reading online BUT there are a TON of crappy routines and advice online (as with anything). I don't know all the suggested sites above but I imagine they're good since 5x5 and starting strength are.

I recommend you go get the New Rules of LIfting for Women. One of the above posters is right - there are no special rules. But the book goes through the why and how you should be lifting and is written for women just starting (and more advanced). There's 6 months of work outs (stage 1 is especially good), nutrition advice, pictures, and an online forum.

If you don't want to do that (although you should) then it works for a lot of women to full body routines 3 days a week. Look for routines that are built around big, compound movements. Don't bother with isolation exercise or machines. Stick to the free weights and work hard!

I also like trutein.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options

Save yourself money by avoiding retail powders and buy your protein from custom webstores like trunutrition.com.

Yup, awesome site, high-quality products, and CHEAP.

Yep. Love this stuff.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Check this book out. "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" I have the one for men, it has made all the difference in my workouts.
  • icanmakepeople
    icanmakepeople Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    thanks so much everyone! this is great advice, keep it coming - even if you just want to back up one of the suggestions already made! I'm really excited to start this phase - I've been working so hard just getting the weight off this whole time, I can't wait to finally start toning this new body!
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Book: New Rules for Lifting for Women

Protein powder: I use optimum nutrition double chocolate (I buy off amazon). Perfect with almond milk.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I just want to save this thread cause all this advice is awesome :)
  • eleqtriq
    eleqtriq Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I really suggest if you're wanting to get into heavy lifting to get someone to help you. Bad form can result in serious injury. Even the smallest problems in form can blow out knees, backs and shoulders.

It really helps to have someone to watch you from all angles, something even a mirror can't match.
  • tmpayton
    tmpayton Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    :) GOOD INFO
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Protein powders are not necessary for weightlifting if you can get your daily protein from your regular food. For most of us though it is easier to "supplement" our protein intake with powders and/or bars. Especially if you are trying to keep calories low.

Also the idea of post workout window of opportunity is not based on any real science. Make sure you do your own research. But here is an article I found informative.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/the_top_10_post_workout_nutrition_myths
  • free2live72003
    Options
    bump
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    All this is great advice!
  • jvheel
    jvheel Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    you'll want a fast acting protein (whey isolate or soy) for right after your workouts. And if you want to drink a shake before bedtime, use a slow acting (cassin.)
  • Selk68
    Selk68 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Gonna have to come back to this tonight 'n check out some of the links 'n info... Thx y'all! :)