strength training

Options
Ctcaa90
Ctcaa90 Posts: 23 Member
For the once overweight women that started strength training and it made a difference, how did you learn how to strength train? Did you read any books? I've cut calories, eating healthier, cardio 30 min at least 5 days and strength train 2. Trying to decrease fat and increase muscle. I lift until I can't lift anymore and feel nausea but I don't break a sweat and absolutely no soreness today. Since I have just started up, I'm not sure if I am training right. Oh, I weigh 166 and my skin calibration number 36.5% Help...

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    i read a lot of sites and screwed around with inefficient (for beginners) split programs. I also wasted my time on machines (LOL) instead of barbells. Rippetoe puts it best: "You can no more squat with a smith machine than you can in a closet with a hamster."

Then i sat down and read Starting Strength and gained more strength in 1 month than I had... ever before.
  • JudyL5305
    JudyL5305 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I always do lots of research on line. So whatever body part or machine I want to learn about I research it. I also talk to friends and trainers at the gym I watch others for ideas. I basically do strength training every other day (at the gym) I choose either chest and triceps, back and biceps, or legs. I pick several machines that fit this category and I do 3 sets of 15 reps. When the last 2 reps become easy I up my weight.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I learned from a trainer at my gym.

I see a trainer 3X a month, and take what program he has me do and then repeat it on my own. I do strength training 3X a week, and cardio 2-3X a week. I do a mixture of free weights, machines and body weight exercises.. and try to up the weight each time.

I prob. could have read a book and done research on my own, but I'm lazy.. and I don't want to put in the work. I'd much rather pay someone to do the work for me, and show me the proper way to do all the exercises so I don't get injured.