Calling all Choc-aholics!

Options
iRun4wine
iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
If you're a choc-aholic, you HAVE to try the cupcakes I made today for a BBQ tomorrow using the diet soda and cake mix recipe that has been discussed several times on MFP.

I used a box Devil's Food flavored cake mix, 12 ounces of Polar Diet Chocolate Fudge soda (didn't even know it existed until recently). Mix the whole box of cake mix with the 12 ounces of soda- no eggs, no oil, no water... NOTHING. Spooned them into the cupcake cups (it makes 24 cupcakes).

Then, after they cooled, I topped them with the frosting I made. I mix a tub of Cool Whip Free with a packet of Jello Sugar Free Chocolate Fudge pudding mix- same idea- nothing except the pudding powder and Cool Whip. Depending on how much frosting you like, you probably won't end up using it all- I used about 3/4 of it.

The cupcakes have 105 calories each when made this way, and are SO, SO good :love: I'm not even telling anyone that they're healthy when I go to the BBQ tomorrow, and I'm positive they'll never notice! :wink:

Give it a try :flowerforyou:

Replies

• hdawg
    hdawg Posts: 28
    Options
    Where did you find that diet fudge soda? That sounds excellent :)
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    If you're a choc-aholic, you HAVE to try the cupcakes I made today for a BBQ tomorrow using the diet soda and cake mix recipe that has been discussed several times on MFP.

I used a box Devil's Food flavored cake mix, 12 ounces of Polar Diet Chocolate Fudge soda (didn't even know it existed until recently). Mix the whole box of cake mix with the 12 ounces of soda- no eggs, no oil, no water... NOTHING. Spooned them into the cupcake cups (it makes 24 cupcakes).

Then, after they cooled, I topped them with the frosting I made. I mix a tub of Cool Whip Free with a packet of Jello Sugar Free Chocolate Fudge pudding mix- same idea- nothing except the pudding powder and Cool Whip. Depending on how much frosting you like, you probably won't end up using it all- I used about 3/4 of it.

The cupcakes have 105 calories each when made this way, and are SO, SO good :love: I'm not even telling anyone that they're healthy when I go to the BBQ tomorrow, and I'm positive they'll never notice! :wink:

Give it a try :flowerforyou:

Those sound great, I'm curious about the chcolate fudge soda as well!
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    At the local grocery store in the soda isle... not sure if Polar is a regional brand, or national, but you may find something similar where you are. I never noticed it before today though, so look hard. Maybe even ask someone? There are a couple grocery stores that we go to, and once I started looking around, I realized they actually carry a decent number of not your typical soda flavors.

If you don't have any luck finding it, maybe diet root beer, or maybe even cream soda would work in chocolate. Experiment- it's fun! :wink:

I have also made the same recipe with vanilla cake, diet cream soda, and vanilla pudding mix and cool whip free for the frosting. Just thought I'd mix it up this time and try the chocolate.
  • klaflamme
    klaflamme Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm not nuts for cupcakes but I am nuts for chocolate. I'll have to try this if I can find it at Walmart. Thanks for sharing!
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    I'm not nuts for chocolate OR cupcakes, but they're AWESOME!!
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    wonder if a light chocolate yoohoo will work??? It is carbonated.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Not sure- I'm not sure which ingredient(s) in the diet soda actually make it work. Give it a shot- of course the calorie count would be higher since diet soda has zero, and light yoohoo has some... Let us know! :flowerforyou:
  • Angel31
    Angel31 Posts: 15
    Options
    bump
  • GlamNGlitter
    Options
    My step-daughter's birthday is coming up in a few weeks, I'm SOOO gonna make these for her instead of a cake..that way I can indulge too :tongue: :laugh: Thanks!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Definitely gonna have to try these. Thanks Kelynn! :flowerforyou:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I was thinking if I couldn't find chocolate soda (doubt I can) I would just use cream soda. It would impart a vanilla flavor perhaps...I have to try these soon!
  • LaurieB5578
    LaurieB5578 Posts: 1,297
    Options
    Just an FYI...you can make these with a can of diet coke and it works the same way. They're just as good I promise!
  • vjar
    vjar Posts: 17
    Options
    Sounds franken-foodish, but what the heck.....still sound yummy.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I am going to have to try this!!!
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    My new favorite is the Duncan Hines Spice Cake flavor mix (made the same way) with diet cream soda, and Cool Whip Free mixed with a package of Cheesecake sugar free, fat free pudding mix- the frosting is kind of like a cream cheese frosting, but very light... it's awesome!! :love: Kind of like a cross between carrot cake and gingerbread... when I was making them my boyfriend said "It smells like Christmas!" so I think I'll make them for Christmas this year, too! :bigsmile:
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    you could always mix tonic water, which is carbonatred, with a chocolate beverage
  • Saudimom
    Saudimom Posts: 136
    Options
    I bought a Dark Choc. cake mix today will add a diet coke and 8 large marshmellows and a hand full of pecans and see what results I get Kinda like a rocky road?
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I bought a Dark Choc. cake mix today will add a diet coke and 8 large marshmellows and a hand full of pecans and see what results I get Kinda like a rocky road?

I can't wait to hear how that turns out! Keep us posted!
  • klaflamme
    klaflamme Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My new favorite is the Duncan Hines Spice Cake flavor mix (made the same way) with diet cream soda, and Cool Whip Free mixed with a package of Cheesecake sugar free, fat free pudding mix- the frosting is kind of like a cream cheese frosting, but very light... it's awesome!! :love: Kind of like a cross between carrot cake and gingerbread... when I was making them my boyfriend said "It smells like Christmas!" so I think I'll make them for Christmas this year, too! :bigsmile:

A coworker had the same idea... she used spice cake with diet rootbeer though. It was really good. She didn't like the cool whip / pudding combo as the texture was really sticky not creamy. The next week, I used the "Triple Chocolate Fudge" cake mix (has same cal / sugar value as the others) and I used "Diet Cherry DR Pepper"... the batter tasted like chocolate covered cherries. My daughter was in kid heaven licking the bowl. LOL I used the sugar free cool whip and sugar free pudding for the topping but I didn't like the texture either so I added enough skim milk to make a creamy spread. I just have to freeze my cupcakes or I will be tempted to keep eating them!!! Learned that one the hard way... eek.
  • MagPie78
    MagPie78 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sounds great, going to try them, Thanks! :smile: