Camping

Options
I'm going camping this weekend and so far on the list of items that my husband bought to take with us are: Hotdogs, hamburgers, chips, sausage, baked beans, potatoe salad, s'mores and Corona. I'll be heading to the store thursday to grab some breakfast/lunch foods and snacks (probably better dinner options for myself because the ones he bought will throw me over my daily intake in a single serving (kinda exaggerating).... Anyhoo, give me some ideas on how not to royally mess up everything I've worked so hard for (Food recommendations?)......I need low-cal alcohol suggestions too because I will be partaking in the drinking and games once the kids go to bed :devil:

Replies

• tobielauren
    tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Skinny girl brand is wonderful :)

p.s. if you guys have a grill, don't forget some pineapple and peaches! they are soo good grilled
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    We camp every year, and yes, the "bad" food is something I look forward to, to be honest, but it can't be all bad, right?

I pack apples and carrots for snacks, low fat granola bars, baked chips instead of regular deep-fried ones. Include some chicken breast to bbq instead of burgers, maybe some whole wheat buns.

Breakfast can be a smaller serving of all that bacon and eggs and add a fruit salad.

Can't help with the drinking games. I bring a six pack for a weekend and have 3 left over when I go home. Pretty light weight drinker.

Love the camping though - have fun!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    vodka & diet soda
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I ususally dont drink while camping. I can never pitch a tent while drunk!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I'd just binge and call it a free day, then tighten up the rest of the time I am there.
    I can't be around others who are eating like that and not indulge myself.
    I am WEAK!
  • jkandktmom
    jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    We are going camping next weekend! Thanks for the post!
  • LittleTrish
    LittleTrish Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I was on holiday, I had vodka and diet or sugar free cola. Also best advice is to go for lots of walks and be as active as possible but don't beat yourself up if things go slightly off track, your on holiday so have fun :)
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    We camp almost every weekend. Have lean ham and eggs for breakfast, I ususally skip the toast. Our biggest meal of chicken or beef, cowboy beans and I have a salad, he has potato salad... In the middle of the day.

Once the campfire is started and Summer Shandy's are flowing all bets are off.

Just enjoy yourself and be mindful. You can jump back on when you get back. I am not crazy about smores thank goodness... Something about the graham cracker on those bothers me. To crunchy compared to the gooey middle.

Have a blast!
  • balogda1
    balogda1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had cerial for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, granola bar for snack, and some apples to snack on. I drank light beer like there's no tomorrow, but i went on a hike. After a week i still lost one pound. I guess the key is to not go too crazy, and if you fall off the wagon, then get up, and get back on.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

I've only been so drunk that I could not pitch a tent once....
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Why not enjoy the food, because if you are going hiking or swimming, you will be burning calories galore anyways!!!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    we just got back from camping.

I took almost all fresh, whole foods

snap peas
    broccoli
    eggs
    celery
    carrots
    apples
    cucumbers
    red pepper
    jalapeno pepper
    onions
    herbs (sage, oregano & thyme wrapped in a damp towel to keep)

black beans
    oatmeal
    quinoa
    couscous
    fiber crackers

a little cheese
    homemade jam
    homemade garlic scape pesto
    homemade garlic hummus
    homemade granola

and we ate like kings!
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

snort.

and i dont prefer the skinny girl margaritas...i love the diet Jose Cuervo,yum
  • spells1977
    spells1977 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If it was me i'd get some low fat sausages and chicken breasts for the grill. I'm not sure if you can get it in the US but low fat coleslaw or low fat potato salad. Perhaps you could boil some rice in you have a camp fire?

As for the alcohol i'd rather eat low cal food so i could have more beers :smokin:
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options

really? setting up a tent in the dark w/ a headlamp is FUN! :laugh:
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    Light beer and skinnygirl is always good! As for food, I would grab pitas and hummus, veggies galore and probably grill some chicken beforehand! Good luck and have fun!!
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Get leaner burgers and wrap them in lettuce rather than having a bun. you could make a foil dinner by chopping up veggies and some lean meat and a wee bit of oil and wrapping it all in foil. Put it on the fire (or the grill above the fire if there is one...or bbq if you're doing that instead) till it's ready and you have a healthy yummy dinner!

Fruits and veggies to snack on.

For Drinks you could take a 2 litre of diet pop and pour a bit out and then add some vodka (or whatever alcohol you prefer). Track the number of oz's you put in till you have a drink strong enough for you and Voila! You have pre-mixed drink, no fuss!

Try not to worry to much, go for walks and hikes or bike rides if you're taking your bikes. Have fun!
  • NittanyLion95
    Options
    I make chicken burgers. You can make ahead (bake in oven on top of rack on cookie sheet) and just warm on the grill.

1 pound ground chicken
    1.5 cups panko bread crumbs (I use the italian flavored ones)
    1 yellow onion diced
    1 egg

Mix it all together and form 6 patties and they are less than 250 cals each. You can eat without a bun too (since the breadcrumbs are inside). The bread crumbs and egg keep it together and the onion keeps it moist during cooking. I love to eat mine with a mashed avacado.

You can also find chicken sausage at most markets these days...they are usually less than 200 each. I top with mango salsa (already made from deli case) and skip the bun.

I like Michelob Ultra Lite for beer. Skinny girl has great mixes already done too. Good Luck!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    OP - sorry i didn't address your question in my previous post. :flowerforyou:

Will you have a cooler with you?
    Maybe you can make some skewers w/ chicken or beef cubes and lots of veggies...?
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    all I have to say is..."What happens at camp stays at camp!"