NSV - keeping perspective

Options
I've been losing, but not steadily; my weight tends to stay where it is for 3-4 weeks then drop 3 lbs. So if it goes up, I generally freak out because I feel like it's going to be a month before it goes back down.

For the last 2-3 weeks my weight was stable and I felt great, it's below my initial goal and I see a huge difference. I think that attitude helped a lot. On Tuesday, I realized that for a variety of reasons I was looking at 4 dinners in a row of high sodium food. (Birthday dinner for my husband at a Chinese restaurant, celebratory pizza for the kids' school ending, etc.) I knew I could stay within my calorie count but that the sodium would bump my weight up, and I tend to react pretty strongly to increased sodium.

So I decided to change my attitude and anticipate the increase. My goal: Eat within calories, drink a ton of water, keep exercising, but expect the weight to go up and stay up until Sunday at least. Don't freak out.

And like clockwork: it was up 2 lbs Wed, Thurs, Fri and Saturday. And BOOM on Sunday it dropped 3lbs! And I never freaked out.

Replies

• MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Perspective is key.
  • shani251
    shani251 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Well done! i need to have the same mindset - sodium throws me for a loop everytime and i'm always devastated. i will try to be more aware :)
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Well done!
    This is where MFP has been such a help to me. MFP has taught me that my brain is more faulty than I suspected - and I already suspected a lot, or I wouldn't have gotten this big to start with :)

I'll hit a mood where I feel like I'm not making any progress at all, but I can click a couple of things and see a chart that proves me wrong. Or I'll forget that I already had a "treat" day this week - so no, I canNOT have another one just yet, wait a few more days. Using MFP to spot trends (like your 4 days of high sodium) or other habits is terrific!

Good use of your tools to keep perspective clear and targets in sight!
  • osewcute
    osewcute Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting this - i will really have to remember this when I am beating up on myself.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!