From bad to worse?

Options
Since starting this diet in Jan I find that although I am dropping the weight fairly consistantly I am smoking alot more... I have gone from smoking 20 a day to almost :sad: 60 and was wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Also my thought processes seem a little slower than usual but I dont feel tired, more of a drained feeling. I get plenty of sleep but I feel like my metabolism is slowing right down. My menu consists of fruit, a little veg and microwave meals from weight watcher or lean cusine. I know that not exercising isnt helping, but I really dont feel like I have any energy to get me started. Help.. Is there high energy low calorie food I can use to replace what i am eating? And besides willpower is there anything I can do to help reduce or stop smoking? thx.

Replies

• Catherinex
    Options
    Since starting this diet in Jan I find that although I am dropping the weight fairly consistantly I am smoking alot more... I have gone from smoking 20 a day to almost :sad: 60 and was wondering if this has happened to anyone else? Also my thought processes seem a little slower than usual but I dont feel tired, more of a drained feeling. I get plenty of sleep but I feel like my metabolism is slowing right down. My menu consists of fruit, a little veg and microwave meals from weight watcher or lean cusine. I know that not exercising isnt helping, but I really dont feel like I have any energy to get me started. Help.. Is there high energy low calorie food I can use to replace what i am eating? And besides willpower is there anything I can do to help reduce or stop smoking? thx.
  • HavFun2
    Options
    Hey, I'm not a smoker but from the sound of it you are substituting a cig. for food. That would explain some of the fatigue (the influx in nicotine would also make you feel different)
    I never had to deal with a smoking problem but a family member did and I am not going to lie it was tough.
    Best would be to get a buddy and challenge/encourage on another. Then eat veggie sticks extra. for more nutrients.
    :heart:
  • vicky1
    vicky1 Posts: 236
    Options
    Your doctor should be able to put you on a stop smoking plan with medication my friend who smoked 60 a day and has no willpower gave up I think it involves cutting down then stopping by basically if you take the medication and smoke you will throw up and feel very ill.

I always rely on pasta wholegrain or potatoes you can have 3 potatoes for less than 300 cals there abouts and they should fill you up.
    There is a lot to be said for gum whenever you are hungry chew gum can help with the smoking think to.
    Try making some chilli potato wedges potato chipped into wedges with skin place in boiling salted water for 3 mins no more then drain sprinkle a drizzle of olive oil enough to coat the spuds then sprinkle with sea salt and chilli powder (don't use too much if you don't like spicy foods) place on a baking tray for about 25 to 30 mins at 230 (same as the temp you would use for oven fries) yummy and healthy grill a bit of chicken have your veg and you have a healthy meal for less than 550 cals and you should be satisfied for a while.
    Check out the recipes on this site sometimes it is worth cooking yourself despite the extra time needed you can make bigger portions that are just as healthy as ready meals by all means have them in for emergencies try it you may notice a difference if time is short make extra and freeze it for another day that way you don't need to cook everyday.

Good luck
  • Catherinex
    Options
    :) thx Viky the recipe sounds fairly easy for once I know what all the ingredients are. Your a star.
  • Anise6789
    Anise6789 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Vicky,
    I have this problem too. You are aware of it, so try not to smoke too much. I would advise one thing at a time however. Lose the weight and then conquer the smoking. Good luck
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    My husband has had a lot of success with the commit lozenges, it keeps his mouth busy and gives him that bit of nicotine that you are craving. Lucky for him he is thin, but he said that he needed something because the cigarettes are an oral fixation too. Follow the plan if you try them, but I will tell you I'd rather pay for those lozenges the rest of our lives than the cigarettes!

Good luck, I know it isn't easy especially both but you can do it! :wink: