Need help with my daily nutrition!! IDEAS????

What are some good food ideas to promote weight loss and to keep me not feeling like I am starving which in turn makes me binge on bad foods?

Here is what I normally consume in a day:

Breakfast
- 2 large eggs fried
- 1 pc. 100% whole wheat toast w/ a tad light becel
OR
- 1 cup of puffed wheat/shredded wheat
- 1/2 cup of vanilla soy milk
- 1 banana

Lunch
- Homemade garden salad with low calorie vinaigrette dressing
- half can of tuna plain
- 100% pure fruit snack
- 100 calorie bag of popcorn
- 100 calorie fibre 1 bar

Supper
- Roast beef OR roast chicken OR BBQ pork chops OR steak (not very often)
- boiled carrots
- peas OR broccoli/asparagus

Snacks
- orange
- banana
- plain popcorn
- crackers and cheese

Working out
- 30 minutes on treadmill at 3.6 - 4 mph which I guess would be very brisk walking/borderline jogging
- 15 minutes of jump rope at a moderate to fast pace

I also drink 8 cups of water per day and I don't add any salt to any of my foods while cooking. I add a little bit of salt to my carrots at supper time. I am open to ANY suggestions. I just had a baby 7.5 weeks ago and have 6 lbs to my pre-pregnancy weight which is my first goal. Once I reach that goal, my second goal will be to lose another 10 lbs.

I was thinking of having plain oatmeal with honey for breakfast instead of eggs because I get too much cholesterol. But please help me with better ideas for foods! My gross calories per day range between 1300 and 1500 per day. With working out I burn around 177-300 per day bringing my total calorie consumption to between 1125-1325 and 1000-1200.

Thank you for reading!

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    i'd say treat yourself to what you enjoy (within your calorie limits). i am more inclined to binge when i completely cut out things i enjoy. feel free to have a nosy at my diary most of my meals are healthy - some of my snacks are not.
  • Thank you I will take a look! Does what I have listed there sound good or is that not enough food?
  • You could totally eat more. The recommendation on this site is to eat your exercise calories, and I'd say especially if you're under 1200 cals factorying in exercise and hungry that is a good idea. Plus, if you're breastfeeding, I've read that burns 200-600 cals/day. Add in some more fruit and veg, lean protein and whole grains! What about edamame and nuts for snacks?
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    make sure you are getting around 100 grams of protein a day and around 20g of fiber- that will keep you full!
  • TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    What are some good food ideas to promote weight loss and to keep me not feeling like I am starving which in turn makes me binge on bad foods?

Here is what I normally consume in a day:

Breakfast
    - 2 large eggs fried
    - 1 pc. 100% whole wheat toast w/ a tad light becel
    OR
    - 1 cup of puffed wheat/shredded wheat
    - 1/2 cup of vanilla soy milk
    - 1 banana

Lunch
    - Homemade garden salad with low calorie vinaigrette dressing
    - half can of tuna plain
    - 100% pure fruit snack
    - 100 calorie bag of popcorn
    - 100 calorie fibre 1 bar

Supper
    - Roast beef OR roast chicken OR BBQ pork chops OR steak (not very often)
    - boiled carrots
    - peas OR broccoli/asparagus

Snacks
    - orange
    - banana
    - plain popcorn
    - crackers and cheese

Working out
    - 30 minutes on treadmill at 3.6 - 4 mph which I guess would be very brisk walking/borderline jogging
    - 15 minutes of jump rope at a moderate to fast pace

I also drink 8 cups of water per day and I don't add any salt to any of my foods while cooking. I add a little bit of salt to my carrots at supper time. I am open to ANY suggestions. I just had a baby 7.5 weeks ago and have 6 lbs to my pre-pregnancy weight which is my first goal. Once I reach that goal, my second goal will be to lose another 10 lbs.

I was thinking of having plain oatmeal with honey for breakfast instead of eggs because I get too much cholesterol. But please help me with better ideas for foods! My gross calories per day range between 1300 and 1500 per day. With working out I burn around 177-300 per day bringing my total calorie consumption to between 1125-1325 and 1000-1200.

Thank you for reading!

This is what worked for me and still works for me... Eat until your satisfied but not too full every 4-5 hours. Staying full keeps you from binge eating most of the time. Eat some protein at each meal or snack.

The best weight loss promotion? Don't eat so dang much!!! Easier said then done but really calories do matter and are king when your looking to just lose weight but if your looking to change your shape, body fat levels and increase muscle tone strength training is a must! Eat enough to fuel your workouts but not too much that you get fat thats why I like to eat a 300-500 calorie meal every 4-5 hours.
  • Medtech2004
    Medtech2004 Posts: 55 Member
    I would suggest net calories be at least 1200 if not 1500 calories. Remember that 1500 is still a 500 calorie deficit. And if you are breastfeeding that burns an additional 500 calories. Make sure you don't put put your body in starvation mode by eating too little or your metabolism will slow down. Otherwise looks like you are eating good food, just try to increase your protein and your fiber. Good luck!!
  • 1LRoy
    1LRoy Posts: 95 Member
    First, know that you have to get used to eating less calories. It's nothing something that happens overnight, so you may want to gradually taper down to the calorie level you are shooting for.

Second, I find that making sure I have protein and carbs at every meal leaves me feeling much more satisfied. I know you are worried about your cholesterol, so consider egg whites instead of whole eggs (or Egg Beaters), non-fat yogurt, low-fat string string cheese, or add protein powder to other things (shakes/smoothies are traditional and CAN be very yummy, but I have low-cal recipes for things like pancakes, chocolate mousse, and strawberry cheese).

Third, the more calories you burn through exercise the more you can eat and still maintain your desired deficit. Consider increasing your activity level.

Finally, how quickly are you trying to lose weight? 1/2 pound per week? 1 pound per week? If you picked one or 2 pounds per week, you might have started with a calorie deficit that is just unrealistic for you (at least to start with). Consider changing your goal for more gradual weight loss (especially since you don't have like 50 pounds to lose). This will give you a chance to get used to a lower calorie diet and learn the tricks that leave you feeling satisfied with your meals.
  • ShameDoll
    ShameDoll Posts: 2
    I love where you are going with this list, but there are a few things wrong with it. Correct them with what I am about to tell you, I promise you that you will notice the difference in your weight.
    1. Switch to only using the egg whites, you get more protein and less fat.
    2. Whole Wheat Bread as much as it says it's great for you, it slows your metabolism.. try pumpernickel bread.. it's a good fat which your body can break down faster.
    3. Margerine.. STOP BUYING! It's a terrible fat, its mostly saturated fat. Whereas, Butter is a poly and mono fat which breaks down so much faster so the calories pay for itself, or try organic almond butter.
    4. All dressing, no matter what the label says is BAD FOR YOU. Try balsamic vinegar.
    5. Stick closer to chicken breasts, and fish!! Leave red meats for special events.
    6. In terms of your snacks, fruit has sugar too even if it's healthy.. when eating late stay away from sugar! Try a salad. or nuts.
    7. Crackers are always bad for you, I don't care what the box says, it is a unhealthy fat!!
    8. As for your oatmeal idea, I love it. It is one of my favorite things in the morning, but try bulk sugar brown or white.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,296 Member
    I love where you are going with this list, but there are a few things wrong with it. Correct them with what I am about to tell you, I promise you that you will notice the difference in your weight.
    2. Whole Wheat Bread as much as it says it's great for you, it slows your metabolism.. try pumpernickel bread.. it's a good fat which your body can break down faster.
    3. Margerine.. STOP BUYING! It's a terrible fat, its mostly saturated fat. Whereas, Butter is a poly and mono fat which breaks down so much faster so the calories pay for itself, or try organic almond butter.
    4. All dressing, no matter what the label says is BAD FOR YOU. Try balsamic vinegar.
    5. Stick closer to chicken breasts, and fish!! Leave red meats for special events.
    6. In terms of your snacks, fruit has sugar too even if it's healthy.. when eating late stay away from sugar! Try a salad. or nuts.
    7. Crackers are always bad for you, I don't care what the box says, it is a unhealthy fat!!
    8. As for your oatmeal idea, I love it. It is one of my favorite things in the morning, but try bulk sugar brown or white.

I was going to point out everything that is wrong with this post, but instead I'll say say ignore it. Too much to write.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    You need more protein and less "snacky" foods. Yes having things like popcorn or fiber one bars can be nice to have but they shouldn't be a major part of your diet.

Try adding in things like cheese or nuts. Perhaps get some protein mix. My personal favorite is Carnivor. Tastes like kool-aid.

You're eating way too many carbs without much protein to go with it. You really should eat protein with carbs. You'll feel fuller longer.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Are you breastfeeding?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member

I was going to point out everything that is wrong with this post, but instead I'll say say ignore it. Too much to write.

I agree. Ignore that list, it's insanely incorrect.
  • dvnjustina
    dvnjustina Posts: 114 Member
    Try an all natural peanut butter. It'll add a protein boost and loaded with good fats. Keep in mind that your baby will eat basically everything you eat in the breast milk. You don't want to cut yourself short in calories. In my opinion, I wouldn't swap out the eggs. If I'm not mistaken, the cholesterol in eggs is the healthy kind. Personally, I ate an egg a day for months, and I have normal cholesterol levels.
  • Milette812
    Milette812 Posts: 32
    1. A lot of people sat chicken is healthy but that really depends on where you get the chicken from. Mass fed chicken made to be butcher ready in 40 days contains 10 times the amount of fat than an organic chicken fed a natural diet without any antibiotics or fat.

2. You do not need to eat meat at every meal, and in fact it may be a good idea to substitute healthy vegetarian protiens for some of your meals.

3. Just like a diabetic, it's a good idea to try and keep your blood sugar balanced. Too high can cause crashes that make you hungry, too low makes you hungry. If you find a way to balance it, it will help with the feeling of hunger and help with the feeling of need to binge eat.

4. Sometimes we feel hungry when we are actually thirsty. If you feel hungry, drink some water, or sparkling water with lemon for a soda substitiute, and see how you feel 20 minutes later.

5. If you are cutting calories, you are going to feel hungry until your stomach shrinks in size and you get used to it. There is no quick fix for that.

6. Cardio and Weight lifting are equally important and should be balanced.

7. Go see a nutritionist! Seriously! A nutritionist will help you out FAR more in one visit than any of us could do ever.
    It's also not expensive as you might think, especially if your only going for diet information.

8. If you feel the need to eat all the time, maybe try switching to several mini meals throughout the day instead of trying for 3.

9. Complex carbs are a good thing and good fats are a good thing, but a carb is a carb and a fat is a fat. Too much of anything can be bad.

10. Know what a real portion is and measure and weigh everything. You would be suprised on what you go over and under on.

11. This will not happen overnight.

12. NUTRITIONIST. SERIOUSLY!
  • Thank u everyone for your responses!!! I will definitely keep all of these ideas in mind. In answer to a few responses no I am not breastfeeding I am formula feeding. I also take a multivitamin as prescribed by my doctor for the iron. So basically eat more protein, what are some good protein foods (meat and vegetarian) other than peanut butter, beans and cheese that I could fill up on? Oh and I do measure all my food, my fiancé thinks I am crazy but I don't care lol
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Hi Mrsmarion2b

Here is a smaple of how i normally eat and it seams to be working for me

Breakfast - rolled oats and 1/2 an apple made with water in the mircrowave 198 cal

Lunch - normaly a low fat soup 195 cals

Dinner - chicken or fish most nights, meat twice a week with vegies - corn, broccoli, beans, pumpkin and carrot are the ones we normally go for. depending on the protein my dinner ranges from 200 - 600 calories

Snacks - i try to have protien at each snack and i snack mid morning, mid afternoon and sometimes at night if it was a light dinner. snacks i prefer are lite cottage cheese with apple, greek yogurt, almonds and packets of mini cookies for a treat

My daily calories are normally about 14-1600 and i am breat feeding. I try to avoid bread, rice potatos as they dont really fill me and make me feel even more hungry. I'm not saying its an ideal diet but it is working for me :)

Cheers