HRM

Options
sevfam
sevfam Posts: 76 Member
Do heart rate monitors tell you calories burned or just your heart rate? Im always questioning, how many calories does ___ burn? Everyone suggests getting a hrm. They are expensive!

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Most( if not all) HRM's tell you heart rate and calories burned.. it's a very popular feature.

Look on Amazon.. You can get a Polar FT4 for about 60 dollars shipped.. and depending on what features you want, the price goes up from there.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    heart rate monitors with calorie burn estimates in them can accurately give you cardio burns such as running and cycling, but not things such as weight training pilates yoga etc. There are also problems with some watches (such as polar) estimating women's calorie burns. You can find more information on how HRMs work by googling Vo2max.
  • sevfam
    Options
    Yes, Im looking on amazon. I dont have extra money right now but I really want one. How about the Omron HR-100C? Its $35. Ill look at the one you suggested too.

Thank you!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Yes, Im looking on amazon. I dont have extra money right now but I really want one. How about the Omron HR-100C? Its $35. Ill look at the one you suggested too.

Thank you!

I mean, it has a chest strap(which you want), so it may be fine.. but I caution you about going cheap. the cheap ones tend to break easier, and sometimes give really inflated calorie burns.

My suggestion is to wait until you can get a decent one(like Polar)... I've had two now, and have had no issues with the calorie burn on them. I lost most of my 29 pounds using a Polar FT7 and currently use a Polar FT60, which has the option for Vo2Max.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Save up for a Polar or comparable model... It will be worth the money in the long run... I have the Polar FT60 and never go do cardio without it.... FT4 and FT7 are both great models too... Best of Luck....
  • sevfam
    Options
    I lost 15 without one but Im always questioning, usually because I want to eat more lol! I'll take your advice and save for the better one!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Money is tight for me too - I narrowed my choices down to either a Polar or a New Balance N4 & turned to eBay for auctions for new models of each. The New Balance came up first and I got it for $26. Much better than the retail price of $70. So if you're patient, you might try eBay. Just make sure the seller lists the item as new and that he/she takes returns in case there's a problem.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • blkmome
    blkmome Posts: 3
    Options
    bump