Ok, I'm gonna try it...

Options
CasperO
CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
Here's what going on with me.

I've been using this site and dieting for about 8 months. I've been exercising for about 5 months. In the last couple months I've added some moderately serious freeweight training. When I first set up, I set my goals at 2 pounds a week, so 1000 calorie a day deficit. My goal was 200 pounds even - 70 pounds from my start weight of 270.

I've lost 60 pounds or so. I've lost about 12" off of my waist. My biceps started out at 15" with the fat, then got down to 13-1/2 with the skinny, and are now back up to 14-1/2 with the muscle. When I started my bodyfat was about 35% - now it's closer to 15%.

Sounds cool, right? Well the wicket gets sticky...

I'm stuck, for over a month. No more real weightloss. I'm building muscle, I'm toning, I'm gaining strength and endurance,,, and I'm still gaining inches - down on the waist and up every where else.

I should be overjoyed, - but I still want that 200 number. I think what's happening is that I'm losing some weight and also gaining some muscle, and that the 2 are balancing out. Not sure what's going on.

One thing Banks said, and I kind of agree - a guy with 15% bodyfat and a weight training regimen probably shouldn't be on a 1000 cal a day deficit. He-I-My wife all suspect that I may be retaining weight due to starvation mode.

Biggest thing that makes me think that is how difficult it is for me to get through my weight workouts. I've always been an enthusiastic trainer. I do well, my body responds well. I loved the pain and attacked the iron. BUT, not lately. Last week it's been a struggle to get through it. It's not a lack of interest, it's not boredom, no lack of desire - I just physically feel weak and listless and don't feel like doing it. I think I'm underfed.

So,,,,,, taking a big leap of faith, I just changed my setup to 1 pound a week weightloss, so 500 calorie a day deficit. This'll get me up to 2600 calories a day on weight training days. Seems like a lot, I've been on about 1900 on cardio only days and 2100 on cardio+weights days, and I've gotten pretty used to that.

We'll see what it does... If my pants start getting tight I'll knock it off in a heartbeat and rethink. Any thoughts?

Here's my M-W-F routine. T-Th-S I just do the elliptical, sunday I rest.

Cardiovascular
Elliptical Trainer 30 490 remove
Strength training (weight lifting, weight training) 40 190 remove
Add Exercise
Daily Total / Goal: 70 / 30 680 / 230
Weekly Total / Goal: 260 / 180 2854 / 1380

Sets Reps/Set Weight/Set
Strength Training
Leg Curls 2 10 50 remove
Dumbbell Row, One-Arm, Bent-Over 2 10 30 remove
Abdominal Crunches 2 30 remove
Leg Extension 2 10 50 remove
Dips 2 10 remove
Abdominal Leg Raise 2 30 remove
Triceps Extension 2 10 30 remove
Biceps Curl 2 10 30 remove
Push Ups (push-ups) 1 12 remove
Flat Dumbbell Fly 2 10 30 remove
Rear Deltoid Raise 2 10 8 remove

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I think that yes you do need to eat more. Remember muscle burns fat and after you weight train your body burns more calories for a longer period of time after your workout compared to a cardio workout. Your body may just be happier at the weight that your at, doesn't mean you can't change it but just keep it up with the eating and the scale should eventually more. Do you vary your workouts? Maybe try a different type of cardio and try doing different types of weight training exercise... good luck, you have done soooo good so far so don't give up :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I say go for it. You'll know soon enough if it's working for you or not. :smile:
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    We read it on this site over and over again that occasionally we have to change things up right? Good for you for doing it. I wish you all the best. Keep us posted on how it goes.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Either you're eating too little for a big guy or I'm eating too much :laugh: Hope it's the former and kudos to your success!
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Options
    Remember that muscle burns more calories than fat. So if you went from 35% to 15% bodyfat you must have more muscle vs fat and thus your maintenance calories should be more. Losing those last 10lbs are the hardest and trickiest. So change it like you think you should.

Demetria
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    Okay, when you are adding all the weights etc. you are building muscle! Muscle burns fat. You are trading muscle for fat right now! Muscle is more dense than fat! So you are probably burning fat pounds at about the same rate as you are adding muscle pounds. Make sense? Keep it up and the muscle will win. Then you will see the cut lines in your arms abs and legs etc. Body fat percentage will be lower.

And last but not least. Why are you stuck on a number? If 210 lbs of lean muscle is not good enough for you well, you are just koo koo! I know someone who thinks you are a hottie!:wink:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I recently went to see a dietitian, just for a "tune up". I am in a similar situation, in that I lost about 50 pounds in 4 months, and then started to plateau. I have not put on the muscle that you have, but I was following the same 1000 Kcal/day deficit, which put me at 1400-1500 kcal/day. At first I did not include my exercise calories, but as my weekly cardio exercise calorie expenditure started getting up in the 3,000-4,000 per week range, I started adding 200-300 day, just to have enough fuel.

I got the weekly calories up to the 6,000+ range and was still plateaued. Instinctive, I felt I should be eating more, but wasn't ready to make that "leap of faith" on my own. (Which is why I went to see another professional--even though I know the subject, there is often too much emotion involved when you are trying to "treat yourself").

The dietitian confirmed what I suspected--that I was just eating too little. She said to increase my daily intake to at least 2200 kcals/day. I did follow the advice, adding more to breakfast and lunch (dinner was fine) and adding at least one snack. In a couple days, I broke loose and subsequently lost 3lbs--and my workouts improved as well.

Especially when you are following an aggressive strength program, you really have to be careful about getting fixated on specific scale numbers--again, for the obvious reason that the scale weighs everything--the good and the bad.

Good luck.
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. Those last 10 are definitely the hardest to lose. When I did my weight loss it took me 12 months to lose 90 pounds then another 5 months or so to lose the last 10. Now my weight still fluxuates between 160 and 165 which gives me either a 100 pound loss or a 95 pound loss, but my bodyfat keeps going down, gradually. I am very happy with my body now and am not trying to lose more weight, though I wouldn't mind my bodyfat per cent to keep dropping. :bigsmile:

I just got the Body Bugg and I love it. It really holds me accountable to my calorie intake. I try to keep my average calorie deficit to around 500 for the week, and with my body, even by keeping a deficit I do not lose weight, but if I kept my cals closer to what I burn, I then start gaining weight. It's weird how my body works, but thats how it is for me.

So by trial and error you should figure out how your body responds to your calorie intake. I also think that yes, you do need to be eating more. I eat about 1800 cals on my off days and about 2300 on work out days.

Good luck and good job so far!!!! :drinker:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Okay, when you are adding all the weights etc. you are building muscle! Muscle burns fat. You are trading muscle for fat right now! Muscle is more dense than fat! So you are probably burning fat pounds at about the same rate as you are adding muscle pounds. Make sense? Keep it up and the muscle will win. Then you will see the cut lines in your arms abs and legs etc. Body fat percentage will be lower.

And last but not least. Why are you stuck on a number? If 210 lbs of lean muscle is not good enough for you well, you are just koo koo! I know someone who thinks you are a hottie!:wink:

shhhh Don't tell on me. :embarassed: :laugh:
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options

shhhh Don't tell on me. :embarassed: :laugh:

If you were single! and I were single and if oh well you know what I mean! Casper, you are a hottie, don't sweat over a number!