having trouble here...

Options
Georg
Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
Help!
:cry:
I'm having trouble staying on track lately. The whole last week has been especially rough.
Here's my excuse list:
I've had huge changes at work, everything is very different. :frown:
I've been working extra hours, additional duties. :grumble:
My gym closed. :sad:
It's too hot outside to walk. :ohwell:
Please - I need a pep talk!
:sad: :sad: :sad:

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Your gym closed? Thats awful!... but thats what the outdoors are for :happy: Since its hot, get up early or go later in the evening... theres also always exercise videos!

No more excuses! You can do this, remember exercise helps with stress and it sounds like you've got plenty of that from your job. Don't give up just pick yourself up and get back on the wagon starting............. ........................................................................ NOW :bigsmile:

~Leash :heart:
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    How about....walking the cook air conditioned Mall?:tongue: I ride my exercise bike in front of a fan at my house b/c I'm falling apart (body wise) & that's all I'm allowed to do. Can you bike ride? You sound like you just need us here at MFP to give you a swift kick in the pants:laugh: :laugh: Go Get Em Tiger:drinker: hehe
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    ooops Cool Air Conditioned
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Think about your reasons for starting this in the first place. Focus on what motivates you, and where you want to be in a year's time. You know the time is going to pass...in a year you can be exactly where you want to be, or you can be looking back with regret. I think about that a lot- one year from now will I be happy I stuck with it, or will I be regretting not reaching my goals. I don't want to have that regret ever again!

__

Check out the free workout videos at exercisetv.tv and sparkpeople.com
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    You are here because you want to really LIVE, not just exist. Anybody can make excuses. But you aren't just anybody, You are a SPARKER.

I can't really add too much to what others have said. But there is really no true excuse not to exercise.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way. You have the Will because yoou are here and not at the ice cream shoppe.:laugh:

If it is too hot and you aren't close to a Mall head to a grocery store or Wal-Mart, or even Lowe's or Home Depot. For extra calorie burn you can load up a cart with cat litter, dog food, concrete mix, or taping mud. When you are done, you put everything back on the shelf where you got it. There's your cardio and weight training.

If you don't want to buy the exercise videos, try the library. Most have videos you can borrow.

Remember we are in this together and we WILL succeed.((HUG))
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Where I am it has been steadily around 100 degrees since mid-May. Sooooo, either get up early......at 5 or 6 a.m. it's really nice outside ...... or wait until the sun goes down in the evening which is already around 8 p.m. It's not as nice as it is in the morning because it's still humid, but you don't have to get up so early. And remember, it'll be getting cooler soon, so if this throws your schedule off, it's just for a little while.
  • Georg
    Options
    Thanks.
    I just needed to whine a little.
    There are no malls at all around here & I already have to get up at 5:30 for work.
    I should be happy I have work. :ohwell:
    I'll just have to kick myself up & get back into a routine, but I'm struggling with it.
    :grumble:
  • Georg
    Options
    Okay. i rode my bike today, but I just feel so low.
    :frown:
    Emotionally, I just feel so lousy.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Georg, one of the best pieces of information I have received when I too was kind of at a low was not to think too much. It gets really hard to pull yourself out of a rut when you're thinking "oh my god I can't believe I've let myself get like this":explode: or "I really, really need to get back to my routine. I've totally failed this week":sad: or whatever it is that you tell yourself when you're mad at yourself, just stop, don't think and do what needs to be done. The more you think about how you NEED to do this, or what if it's hard to go back to eating well or exercising the harder it is- a lot of what we're all trying to accomplish here is mental- at least the will power to do it, or not do it is mental. Putting extra pressure on yourself doesn't help. We've all taken "breaks"- some intentionally, some not intentionally:ohwell: , but we've still all accomplished some totally awesome things! :drinker: It's a bump in the road, not the end of the road.

Don't give it another thought- it's not worth it- thinking does not and cannot change anything... it gets you no where. You've already lost 22 pounds- that's AWESOME!!! :bigsmile:

Get going...
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Help!
    :cry:
    I'm having trouble staying on track lately. The whole last week has been especially rough.
    Here's my excuse list:
    I've had huge changes at work, everything is very different. :frown:
    I've been working extra hours, additional duties. :grumble:
    My gym closed. :sad:
    It's too hot outside to walk. :ohwell:
    Please - I need a pep talk!
    :sad: :sad: :sad:

If your having huge changes at work, one of the best ways to counter act them is to have a regular routine otherwise. (had a therapist tell me this) I had HUGE changes and kept to my routine....weighed my food, brought all my snacks and stuff to work ( I had been working from home) and stuck to my exercise routine. I helped a LOT!

I am sorry the gym is closed, and it is WAY too hot outside right now. If you dont have a good DVD to work out to, check out the TV there are plenty and you will def get your sweat on:wink:

Or buy a jump rope and clear some room! I had a great workout with 5 and 10 lbs handweights and a jump rope!!

You have come too far to go back now, Georg!!

:heart: :smooched: :heart: Jeannie
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Go on Youtube... there are plenty of work out videos there. Find classes in your area. Go on meetup.com and find groups in your area that do exercise together.

That being said I have had an off week as well. It started with a week of vacation and slipped into more bad eating and not the same focus at the gym. Today is a new day. I work out with my trainer today and I know he will kick my butt. After that, it is all up to me to get back on board the healthy eating wagon.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Go on Youtube... there are plenty of work out videos there. Find classes in your area. Go on meetup.com and find groups in your area that do exercise together.

That being said I have had an off week as well. It started with a week of vacation and slipped into more bad eating and not the same focus at the gym. Today is a new day. I work out with my trainer today and I know he will kick my butt. After that, it is all up to me to get back on board the healthy eating wagon.

oooh that is a great idea!!

:laugh: I always read your name as Having I Tall.....and think, how rude cuz I am short:laugh: :laugh:
  • Georg
    Options
    Thanks.
    I couldn't share all this with any of my friends.
    I'm still feeling pretty lousy, but yesterday evening I rode the bike for 30 minutes with the fan blowing right at me.
    Then I couldn't sleep all last night so as soon as it was light I took a long walk.
    So, other than emotionally, I guess I'm back in exercise mode.
    Thanks for being here.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
    I couldn't share all this with any of my friends.
    I'm still feeling pretty lousy, but yesterday evening I rode the bike for 30 minutes with the fan blowing right at me.
    Then I couldn't sleep all last night so as soon as it was light I took a long walk.
    So, other than emotionally, I guess I'm back in exercise mode.
    Thanks for being here.

Sorry you're so down right now Georg, hope things get better for you soon!
    Everyone had such great suggestions for you. I'd just like to add though that one of my favorite things to do for exercise is to dance in my living room to a fast "oldies" CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs, like "Love Shack", "Wild, Wild, West", "Gloria", and "Footloose". It's totally fun, I can use a fan on me if I'm hot, and I can also watch tv too, so I'm never bored! :smile:
  • Georg
    Options
    That sounds like another good idea.
    I'm just going to have to get up & get back into the routine no matter how low I feel. Until it's too strong a habit to stop again.
    Thanks to all of you.
    I really appreciate you.
  • tellem46
    tellem46 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We all have those days, but keep your head up, and remember what your initial goal was in the beginning and find that motivator button and push it and just do it.

Here is a suggestion for home. If you don't have a jump rope, it will be a nice investment. Depending on your fitness level 10 min will get your heart rate up and running, next do 20-25 jumping jacks, next for strength training do push ups, repeat cycle for 30-45 mins. Cable TV have all sorts of exercise video you can do. Here we have FIT-tv. GOOD LuCK
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :heart: I wish you were here or I was there so that I could give you a real live ((HUG)). Just know that 'this too shall pass'. You are making good choices and staying active and tomarrow will be a brighter day. Do you know why? Cause I ordered it for you:laugh:

Remember all your MFP friends Love you.

Sleep Well, my friend
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You need to change things up! Get a new video for times when the gym is closed. Put some good tunes on dance and sweat away! Try to tell yourself you want to do this not you have to!. Never make it like a chore. Set a schedule. Make a ticker to keep track of your progress. Reward yourself with something after so many workouts or good eating. Write some short term goals down and hang them on your fridge. Put a motivating pic on your fridge. Join a challenge thread on MFP. Buy a fitness magazine and check out some new exercises you can do. The list I have is endless. Let me know if you need more ideas.:drinker:

YOU'RE HALF WAY THERE GEORG-BE PROUD, FORGIVE YOURSELF FOR ANY BOOBOOS AND GO GIVER'! We're all proud of you!:heart:
  • hmo4
    Options
    You need to change things up! Get a new video for times when the gym is closed. Put some good tunes on dance and sweat away! Try to tell yourself you want to do this not you have to!. Never make it like a chore. Set a schedule. Make a ticker to keep track of your progress. Reward yourself with something after so many workouts or good eating. Write some short term goals down and hang them on your fridge. Put a motivating pic on your fridge. Join a challenge thread on MFP. Buy a fitness magazine and check out some new exercises you can do. The list I have is endless. Let me know if you need more ideas.:drinker:

YOU'RE HALF WAY THERE GEORG-BE PROUD, FORGIVE YOURSELF FOR ANY BOOBOOS AND GO GIVER'! We're all proud of you!:heart:
  • hmo4
    Options
    Sorry=double post.