Intermittent Fasting. Anyone tried it?

Options

Replies

• ktwest2107
    ktwest2107 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is what I need. I also struggle with eating several small meals a day. I find that I skip breakfast, eat at 11 or 12, and then work out anywhere from 3-6. Then eat dinner. The problem is it's hard for me to schedule workouts in the morning since I'm active duty military and have a kiddo running around, and I have A LOT of additional duties, so my schedule fluctuates. So, I guess my question is, would it be better for me to just not eat till around 11, and then NOT eat until after my afternoon workout, and then eat a big dinner? As long as it's before, say, 9pm? It sounds SOOOO much easier for mine and my boyfriends lifestyle than the 6 meals a day thing...
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    Yes I do it often! Today I had just a meal though I did have tea and coffee during the day. I love IF!

Benefits for all the skeptics:
    http://www.livestrong.com/blog/the-end-of-dieting/
    http://www.romanfitnesssystems.com/blog/intermittent-fasting-201/
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to understand this and just getting confused.

Considering I don't my breakfast until 11:30 AM and usually dinner at 9 PM I feel I already do this.

How my day usually works is: 7 AM pre workout snack (a slice of toast with natural pb, or an apple or some type of fruit). Workout around 8 for an hour or two, post workout shake (milk with Body Fortress protein powder that states it has over 8g of BCAA's) and then breakfast at 11:30, snacks, lunch about 4 or 5, snacks, dinner around 8:30/9. Then bed around 10:30.

Based on this info FitFireman what would you suggest I alter to work on doing IF.

My workouts are usually cardio (running, interval training) or a strength training video (ChaLEAN Extreme)
  • TheFitFireman
    TheFitFireman Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is what I need. I also struggle with eating several small meals a day. I find that I skip breakfast, eat at 11 or 12, and then work out anywhere from 3-6. Then eat dinner. The problem is it's hard for me to schedule workouts in the morning since I'm active duty military and have a kiddo running around, and I have A LOT of additional duties, so my schedule fluctuates. So, I guess my question is, would it be better for me to just not eat till around 11, and then NOT eat until after my afternoon workout, and then eat a big dinner? As long as it's before, say, 9pm? It sounds SOOOO much easier for mine and my boyfriends lifestyle than the 6 meals a day thing...

"One pre-workout meal

This is the most common setup for my younger clients that are still in college or have flexible working hours.

Sample setup

12-1 PM or around lunch/noon: Pre-workout meal. Approximately 20-25% of daily total calorie intake.
    3-4 PM: Training should happen a few hours after the pre-workout meal.
    4-5 PM: Post-workout meal (largest meal).
    8-9 PM: Last meal before the fast.

Two pre-workout meals

This is the usual protocol for people with normal working hours.

Sample setup

12-1 PM or around lunch/noon: Meal one. Approximately 20-25% of daily total calorie intake.
    4-5 PM: Pre-workout meal. Roughly equal to the first meal.
    8-9 PM: Post-workout meal (largest meal)."

I hope that helps!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options

Considering I don't my breakfast until 11:30 AM and usually dinner at 9 PM I feel I already do this.

How my day usually works is: 7 AM pre workout snack (a slice of toast with natural pb, or an apple or some type of fruit). Workout around 8 for an hour or two, post workout shake (milk with Body Fortress protein powder that states it has over 8g of BCAA's) and then breakfast at 11:30, snacks, lunch about 4 or 5, snacks, dinner around 8:30/9. Then bed around 10:30.

Based on this info FitFireman what would you suggest I alter to work on doing IF.

My workouts are usually cardio (running, interval training) or a strength training video (ChaLEAN Extreme)

Technically, you are "breaking your fast (breakfast)" at 7am. You would need to not ingest any calories until your 11:30 meal to be properly doing this.
  • TheFitFireman
    Options

If you're eating a preworkout snack that would be breaking the fast. IF is where you consume 0 calories until your 8 hour time period of eating. You're consuming calories from 7am-9pm so you're only fasting for 10 hours a day and not the 16 hours that IF involves.
  • dre3173
    dre3173 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ok i'm confused
    :huh:
  • TheFitFireman
    Options
    ok i'm confused
    :huh:

About what?
  • Barbellerella
    Options

If you're eating a preworkout snack that would be breaking the fast. IF is where you consume 0 calories until your 8 hour time period of eating. You're consuming calories from 7am-9pm so you're only fasting for 10 hours a day and not the 16 hours that IF involves.

But keep in mind, that Martin Berkhan recommends a 14 hour fasting/ 10 hour feed window for women.
  • Beleren
    Beleren Posts: 142
    Options
    Post a link that supports your claims please regarding "no metabolic advantage" and just "dropping some extra water weight", thank you.

so you are saying IF has a metabolic advantage to traditional methods, when the same calories and macro nutrients are used?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html would say otherwise, meal frequency has no effect on metabolism

I think you just got ignored. =P
  • TheFitFireman
    Options

But keep in mind, that Martin Berkhan recommends a 14 hour fasting/ 10 hour feed window for women.

That's true, I forgot that there was a different recommendation for males and females, good save!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options

I've found if I don't eat anything before working out I get very light headed 75% of the way through either my cardio interval dvd or my run.
  • TheFitFireman
    Options

Post a link that supports your claims please regarding "no metabolic advantage" and just "dropping some extra water weight", thank you.

so you are saying IF has a metabolic advantage to traditional methods, when the same calories and macro nutrients are used?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html would say otherwise, meal frequency has no effect on metabolism

I think you just got ignored. =P

He didn't originally have that link in his statement, he edited it in after the fact. Also, that site is just stating that there's no metabolic benefit to eating 6 meals a day, has nothing to do with intermittent fasting. So he basically posted a health site trying to prove me wrong with something that has nothing to do with the conversation...
  • Beleren
    Options
    He didn't originally have that link in his statement, he edited it in after the fact. Also, that site is just stating that there's no metabolic benefit to eating 6 meals a day, has nothing to do with intermittent fasting. So he basically posted a health site trying to prove me wrong with something that has nothing to do with the conversation...

Gotcha. I don't know why everyone has to argue on here about what is "right" .
    Live and let live, goodness.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Loving the IF zealotry here, but if you cant understand that IF is a form of meal frequency. i dont even know were to begin. I dont discredit IF at all, its a perfectly viable way of going about your business. But it is no better then what I do, or what someone else does.As long as calories and macros are met at the end of the day.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i'm doing juddd right now which is basically extreme calorie cycling, i have a down day which is around 500-700 calories and then an up day which is anywhere from 1800+ on my down days i fast from wake up until the latest possible and it really helps me with self control and my binges. also before starting this plan i would be on a 1500 cal diet and i would usually fast until around 3 or 4 or even later so i can eat bigger meals and still be satisfied and within my calories goals.
  • Beleren
    Options
    Loving the IF zealotry here, but if you cant understand that IF is a form of meal frequency. i dont even know were to begin. I dont discredit IF at all, its a perfectly viable way of going about your business. But it is no better then what I do, or what someone else does.As long as calories and macros are met at the end of the day.

Well said. :)
  • Barbellerella
    Options
    Mose IFers use BCAA's pre-workout, or whey protein powder without anything added to it. So you are working out semi-fasted.

**I forgot to link this to the one who said she gets light headed if she doesn't eat before working out.
  • TheFitFireman
    Options
    Loving the IF zealotry here, but if you cant understand that IF is a form of meal frequency. i dont even know were to begin.

Go spam another thread to boost your post count. You have nothing to bring to this thread and you're just trying to start drama.