Fasting

OrientalGem
OrientalGem Posts: 19 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So today is Day 1 of the 30 days of fasting (its religion-based for those who are wandering). I can eat anything I'd like before 5:30am but as soon as 5:30 hits, I have to stop eating & drinking everything - and then its a solid Nothing until about 8pm. So 14hrs of fasting without anything - not even water. So my question is: should I still exercise at some point during the day if I have no food in my system, or should I stop my workouts until the fasting month is over? I was thinking of squeezing in some gym time at 9pm after I've eaten & recharged. But maybe I'll be too exhausted & dehydrated to do anything! Should I push myself anyway??

Replies

• Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    HI, I would think you wouldn't want to tax your body with a workout if you're not able to fuel or hydrate it all day....sounds like that could be dangerous

here is a thread that was started a lil while ago about Ramadan so their might be some suggestions within that suit your needs :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/63161-ramadan?hl=ramadan#posts-770699

PG:flowerforyou:
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    For me (and I only do 1 day fasts) it's the dehydration that beats me. So I'd skip the sweaty aerobics - can you do something less sweaty, like yoga, for a work out?
  • LeeiaL
    LeeiaL Posts: 40
    The short and sweet answer - no.
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    I knew Ramadan required no food for the sun up to sun set period of time, but did not know not even water! I asked another person and did not get an answer. so here goes again. Is a mother allowed to breast feed her baby during this period of time and is she allowed to drink water when doing so? How young or at what age does Ramadan effect a person? Starting at what age is the Fasting Period expected of a person?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,134 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I do a cleansing day once a week which is not a fast, but comes out to less than 700 calories from bedtime Saturday to breakfast Monday. I go for a good walk on Sunday morning and then take it easy the rest of the day. It has worked for me.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    I knew Ramadan required no food for the sun up to sun set period of time, but did not know not even water! I asked another person and did not get an answer. so here goes again. Is a mother allowed to breast feed her baby during this period of time and is she allowed to drink water when doing so? How young or at what age does Ramadan effect a person? Starting at what age is the Fasting Period expected of a person?
    People who are ill are not required to fast. for women on their period, they have to "make up" that fasting time after Ramadan b/c it doesn't count. I don't know for sure, but probably breast feeding women are exempt from the fasting requirement also.
  • czewwhat
    Breast feeding mothers, the elderly and children under the age of puberty are exempt according to the Islam site I just questioned. should have gone there first!. It said nothing about water though.
  • pcbta
    pcbta Posts: 227
    look up Brad Pilon for lots of interesting info on fasting.
  • OrientalGem
    OrientalGem Posts: 19 Member
    Breast feeding mothers, the elderly and children under the age of puberty are exempt according to the Islam site I just questioned. should have gone there first!. It said nothing about water though.

Yes, thats correct. Pregnant & breast-feeding mothers are exempt as they have to be healthy & well fed for the 'lil ones.
    As for the water, we definitely can't drink any or the fast is broken. Nothing is allowed to touch your lips once you start fasting. You can't even brush your teeth - total nothing.

Polliesgirl... thanks for the other thread info.
  • czewwhat

Yes, thats correct. Pregnant & breast-feeding mothers are exempt as they have to be healthy & well fed for the 'lil ones.
    As for the water, we definitely can't drink any or the fast is broken. Nothing is allowed to touch your lips once you start fasting. You can't even brush your teeth - total nothing.

Polliesgirl... thanks for the other thread info.

as far as exercise, you have to listen to your own body! Dehydration is really bad when exercising but perhaps light activity like walking or something else would be fine!
This discussion has been closed.