Help me understand something - starvation mode

Options
orishp
orishp Posts: 214 Member
Help me understand this, if I eat 1100 cal/day and I don't exercise (net calories = 1100 cals) MFP "screams" at me that I may go into starvation mode, and blah, blah, blah .....

Yet, if I eat 1300 calories, but I exercise and burn 200 calories (net calories still = 1100 cals) there is no starvation mode message.

Aren't these two things the same??????

Replies

• closet_fatty
    closet_fatty Posts: 109
    Options
    Starvation mode? It's never said that to me. How is it telling you that? I think that would be helpful to know.
  • hoofbeat
    hoofbeat Posts: 2
    Options
    I get that just about every day. I work night shift and never get enough calories through the week. I burn around 470 calories on my elliptical daily and MFP does not like that at all.
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think it doesn't give you the message for the one with exercise because you actually ate at least 1200 calories. The exercise is just a bonus.
    Starvation mode? It's never said that to me. How is it telling you that? I think that would be helpful to know.

It does it when you hit the complete this entry button. You know when it tells you in 5x weeks you will weight ?? amt.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Yeah I get the starvation message if I am under also. But I don't know what the difference btw your two situations are :( sorry I am no help but just wanted to confirm the starvation message.
  • trysta85
    trysta85 Posts: 6
    Options
    mine doesn't yell at me either???

and I am always under my calories - if I exercise sometimes up to 500 under!
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Here's the message the OP is referring to.

*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1,200 calories per day minimum.

And this is WITH exercise - from my diary today.
  • mauramoose
    Options
    i've gotten that message too, with the same thing - i might clock in under 1200, but if its due to exercise it doesnt yell at me. i think this is because even though net cals are the same, they only give you that message if your total caloric intake is under 1200, exercise or not. this leads me to believe that as long as your total calories are 1200 or over, net calories can be less than this without setting off any triggers that will make your body freak out/metabolism slow down/whatever happens in starvation mode.
  • pinkcycleist
    Options
    No if you are excersicing your body is burning more caloris, there for you need to eat more than you would be if you were not exercising in addition your body is burning cals. way after your work out cuz your body is reved up
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Calorie restriction can stifle metabolism.
    The more you cut back, the more your body responds. It's an internal, physiological survival device.
    This is why we should not try to lose more than a few lbs per week, and this is also why crash diets fail so miserably.
    Just follow the MFP recommendations or what your doctor advises, and forget 90% of what you hear some cabbage-heads say in these forums.
  • d4rkn3ss06
    d4rkn3ss06 Posts: 57
    Options
    The two situations are the same thing and can both put your body in starvation mode! No one should net below 1200 calories!! Starvation mode is when you are not giving your body enough calories but you are eating (so your not starving your self by not eating) you are just not eating enough so what your body begins to do (not right away) is hold the food you do eat and store it as fat because it thinks it needs to hold what ever you eat because you are starving. This will make you gain weight and the only way to lose weight will require you to gain some weight while your body and metabolism get back to normal. Do not do this! Not only is it a bad quick fix but if you are doing this to be healthy and maintain your weight you need to do it healthily.

Your exercise calories are not "bonuses" in the sense that you can ignore them you should always eat back those calories! if you eat 1300 calories and burn 300 than you are giving your body 1000 calories to function which is WAY to LOW for your body to do what it needs too!!!

Hope this helps! Good Luck! :)
  • alisha11
    alisha11 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I get that message all the time. From what I understand 1200 calories is what is needed for basic human and metabolic functions,etc if you eat under that amount your basically starving yourself. What I'm thinking is that mfp doesn't take into consideration that you may have eaten enough but your exercise calories have made it look as if you haven't. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. Good luck!
  • horripilante
    Options
    Here's an interesting read on 'starvation mode'. I didn't listen to the recordings and I don't know how reliable the information is, but it gives you something to think about.

http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    IMO Starvation mode only exists in the minds of those who want you to eat a certain way. Do some research on it and get both sides of the story but make up your own mind. From what I see if it does exist then only after your body gets below 5% body fat. Doctors will put patients on 500 calories a day for months on end without fear of starvation mode, if it exists then why would you do that? I know someone who was on a liquid diet for 9 months and lost a ton of weight, she may gain it all back I don't know but she didn't go into starvation mode and those drinks were around 500 calories a day. But again, google it and make up your own mind
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    IMO Starvation mode only exists in the minds of those who want you to eat a certain way. Do some research on it and get both sides of the story but make up your own mind. From what I see if it does exist then only after your body gets below 5% body fat. Doctors will put patients on 500 calories a day for months on end without fear of starvation mode, if it exists then why would you do that? I know someone who was on a liquid diet for 9 months and lost a ton of weight, she may gain it all back I don't know but she didn't go into starvation mode and those drinks were around 500 calories a day. But again, google it and make up your own mind

Yeah, MFP lost credibility with me with that stupid message. Starvation mode is a myth. I think their lawyers asked them to put it up as CYA.

The only time I got the message was when I logged on my phone and hit "end this entry" or whatever. I've never gotten it from the PC interface.

If starvation mode existed everyone who's ever been on WW, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, Optifast, Pritikin, The Biggest Loser, etc. etc. etc. would be obese now and forever after.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am not sure why you would get a message for one and not the other...but what is your concern? Are you wondering if your calorie intake is inadequate, or are you wondering what "starvation mode" is?
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    This is why we should not try to lose more than a few lbs per week, and this is also why crash diets fail so miserably.
    Just follow the MFP recommendations or what your doctor advises, and forget 90% of what you hear some cabbage-heads say in these forums.

LOL

And I am not really concerned, I just want to understand whats the difference if any. I am in a supervised diet at the moment, netting 1000 calories a day, and its working great, so I get the starvation mode message all the time on days that I don't work out.
    I feel great, have tons of energy, have never worked out this much in my life, don't feel hungry, and the pounds are coming off, so to me thats my body telling me that I am NOT in starvation mode
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I think starvation mode is really an unhelpful term they should abandon. My interpretation of what it really means is your metabolism has adjusted to the lower calorie intake and you won't lose, you will also likely lose muscle mass because there is no fat to lose. That is my unscientific interpretation.

I personally eat my exercise calories back. I see it as a "Brucie Bonus".
  • Cortbear80
    Cortbear80 Posts: 23
    Options
    Here's the message the OP is referring to.

*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1,200 calories per day minimum.

And this is WITH exercise - from my diary today.

I get this all the time too. I stopped listening cuz everyone's body is different. If you aren't hungry you can't force yourself to eat, especially after working long hours and working out. Just don't "Not eat" cuz your body may try to fix it the next day by making you feel more hungry than you actually are so you overeat. "Starvation mode".
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options

LOL

And I am not really concerned, I just want to understand whats the difference if any. I am in a supervised diet at the moment, netting 1000 calories a day, and its working great, so I get the starvation mode message all the time on days that I don't work out.
    I feel great, have tons of energy, have never worked out this much in my life, don't feel hungry, and the pounds are coming off, so to me thats my body telling me that I am NOT in starvation mode
    Results count more than argument.
    KEEP PUNCHING!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I think starvation mode is really an unhelpful term they should abandon. My interpretation of what it really means is your metabolism has adjusted to the lower calorie intake and you won't lose, you will also likely lose muscle mass because there is no fat to lose. That is my unscientific interpretation.

I personally eat my exercise calories back. I see it as a "Brucie Bonus".

From what I've read you won't lose muscle mass until your body fat is under 5%. As long as your exercising muscle mass won't go away