Tips for sodium?

Options
2»

Replies

• cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's hard! Some days I can't help but be over by like 1000. I would suggest pre-logging before you eat (and finding out, 'wow! that had s***load of sodium in it, i didn't realize!') and finding out the main foods that build up sodium- for me, it's things like soup and pizza, and try to cut down on them. I've found it's a lot easier to just eat a slice less or only a cup of soup, still gives you sodium, but not massive amounts. And chug that water!
  • Izzy1218
    Izzy1218 Posts: 3
    Options
    Just learned a thing myself this morning updating my diary from last night. I did a weight watchers meal at apple bees, I'm vegitarian so I dont get many options if I go out to eat, I ate a 300 cal meal which was great but the sodium was at 2,950!! I ate shrimp and rice whith steamed veggies are you kidding!?!? Lol this is why I stay away from eating anything I don't prepare. Stuff like that sneaks up on you easily. It's really easy to monitor it. Read you labels like someone already said raw foods are always great too! But I can pretty much promise you'll be taking in a lot more sodium than youd like eating out. So when you do ask them for a nutrition booklet they all have them and you'll actually be able to see the break down of everything. Little trip and trick ;)
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Subway is not really heathy food
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Ah, man. I have the exact same problem. If i'm not constantly watching it - it goes through the roof! I'm bumpin this one for some super-awesome responses as well :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Incorporate more fresh fruits and veggies into your diet. Also, watch potassium. Potassium is a very important electrolyte that helps counter the effects of sodium. It can be hard to get enough sometimes, but not every nutrition panel has it so it is not always accounted for.