The dreaded skinny fat

Options
Hello. Average height/weight here (5'5", 130lbs). Swimmer. Desperately wanting to change from being skinny fat to toned. I'm trying to lift weights and eat more protein but it doesn't seem to be working (on top of doing cardio, to lose fat).

Help?

Replies

• sandyyy712
    sandyyy712 Posts: 94
    Options
    I'm a swimmer too and I'm having the same problem :/ it seems impossible to be able to swim AND lose weight because you have to eat to swim good but swimming doesn't really tone you or help you lose weight as I've realized...I wish I knew how to help
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    It's not as simple as cardio = fat loss and lifting weights = muscle gain. You should be lifting weights for either goal.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I checked your diary and, if you are a very active swimmer trying to add lean muscle mass, you won't accomplish that by eating 1300 calories on some days and 1900 on others. Swimming requires a lot of calories and if you do not replace and supplement those exercise calories to nourish the body to develop muscle tissue, it simply won't. Do you know your BF% by chance? I'm a certified Personal Trainer and can calculate your BMR and TDEE calories if you do.
  • everet36
    everet36 Posts: 39
    Options
    I checked your diary and, if you are a very active swimmer trying to add lean muscle mass, you won't accomplish that by eating 1300 calories on some days and 1900 on others. Swimming requires a lot of calories and if you do not replace and supplement those exercise calories to nourish the body to develop muscle tissue, it simply won't. Do you know your BF% by chance? I'm a certified Personal Trainer and can calculate your BMR and TDEE calories if you do.
    About a year ago I had someone measure it with calipers and they estimated 32%. On my impedence scale at home it stays between 24-28%. I just weighed myself....I've been gaining weight, my stomach is no smaller and I'm pissed. I've drastically changed my diet and added in weight training about 2x week. I do cardio about 4x week. I had my BMR tested before and I believe it was 1300-1600.

My clothes fit the same. Nothing is changing and I've been working really hard. I don't record my food intake 2-3 days per week. But from my guess my "off" days are usually around 2000 calories...so I shouldn't be gaining weight...Last summer I did this and lost 10 lbs...went down to 122....

For example, monday I wasn't planning on recording my food intake, but decided to at the end of the day....it was around 2000 calories I believe.
  • everet36
    everet36 Posts: 39
    Options
    About a year ago I had someone measure it with calipers and they estimated 32%. On my impedence scale at home it stays between 24-28%. I just weighed myself....I've been gaining weight, my stomach is no smaller and I'm pissed. I've drastically changed my diet and added in weight training about 2x week. I do cardio about 4x week. I had my BMR tested before and I believe it was 1300-1600.

My clothes fit the same. Nothing is changing and I've been working really hard. I don't record my food intake 2-3 days per week. But from my guess my "off" days are usually around 2000 calories...so I shouldn't be gaining weight...Last summer I did this and lost 10 lbs...went down to 122....

For example, monday I wasn't planning on recording my food intake, but decided to at the end of the day....it was around 2000 calories I believe.

Sorry that was so chaotic. Just did a weigh in and I'm livid.