Can I Lose Weight without Exercising?

Options
Has anyone lost weight without adding exercise?

I joined MFP on May 25 (or there about) needing to lose 20#, but with a 5 week goal of losing 5 #. Well, almost 4 weeks later, I have lost only 3 #. Actually, I have lost and gained and lost and gained the same 3 #. Today, I am at the lost swing of the pendlum, but who knows where I will be tomorrow.

I have made major changes in my diet, very few processed sugars and carbs, smart food selections, lots of fresh fruit and veggies, lean meats, no cheese, 8 glasses or water, no heavy snacks, no alcohol. I thought I would have lost more by now and I am feeling quiet frustrated and ready to give up.

The one thing I have not done is add exercise... to be honest, I DO NOT like exercise. I don't like to sweat, I dont like to run, walk, bicycle, swim, lift weights, nothing. I enjoy sewing, handwork, reading, TV, all sedentary activites.

Friends at work have participated in the Couch to 5k and swear by it, but they are much younger than I, a 57 yr old, employed full time, very brittle Type 1 diabetic with plantar facititis, severe shin splints, and no motivation. I was thinking maybe pool exercises or yoga, but just think I would join a gym and find 100 reason why I couldn't go.

Anybody out there have any ideas?

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    yes you can lose weight without exercising, BUT it is harder to lose, and it is harder to maintain without exercising because the smaller you get, the less you can eat. Without exercise to increase your metabolism, you will need to continually decrease the amount of food that you eat in order to avoid gaining again.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can lose without exercising. But you'll look better and be healthier if you do. And the weight loss will probably be easier. You don't have to become w total gym rat to get some exercise...go for a walk, or go dancing. Just move something! You'll be glad you did.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I saw a quote on the boards somewhere that I totally love:

Eat a little less, Move a little more, drink more water!! Great combination to the perfect plan!! Besides exercise just makes you feel good!!
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    if pool/aquatic exercise and yoga appeal to you then start there for sure! they are low impact and fun, try a water aerobics class (try one for seniors first if your worried about your fitness level) and see if you can find an easy yoga class (avoid anything labeled 'Bikram' which is hot yoga, think 105 degrees in the room) when you call to check places out be sure to ask any questions you have and explain your concerns so you pick the right place. Unfortunately your sedentary lifestyle is probably why you are on MFP now, so adding exercise is definitely going to benefit you! You may even learn to .....gasp.... like it! it is addicting as you get stronger and feel better. Exercise is an incredible stress reliever and pain management tool... good luck!
  • hwibowo
    hwibowo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sure, you can lose without exercising. But you'll look better and be healthier if you do. And the weight loss will probably be easier. You don't have to become w total gym rat to get some exercise...go for a walk, or go dancing. Just move something! You'll be glad you did.

This +1
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i lost 40 pounds in 6 months about 2 years ago with absolutely no exercise. (i sit down all day)
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    A 20 minute walk a day can make all of the difference. It's an extra pound lost a month if nothing else!
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    Hey we have the same name!

Anyway, anything in the water should be a good start for you since you have all those issues.
    Low impact!
  • schume89
    schume89 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Quote I love...

Dieting will make you look good in clothes
    Exercising will make you look good NAKED! :)
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Yes...They say 70% is diet....But exercise will speed it up, and if you gain muscle it really will benefit you in so many way!!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Sure you can lose weight without exercise.

However appearance is a byproduct of fitness. You will simply change from looking like a fat person that doesn't exercise to a skinny person that doesn't exercise.

Without exercise your minimum fat level will be higher; the last ____ pounds are more or less impossible without exercise, low body fat levels are only available to fit people.

Health wise there really isn't much improvement between fat and out of shape and skinny and out of shape.

Whereas losing weight is 80% diet, keeping it off is 80% exercise.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have gone anywhere between a few weeks and 2 months with little to no exercise. A time or two when I skipped a day or two and it took a bit to get back in the swing of things and a few times because I was sick and made sure it was completely gone before I started again.

I did loose without exercising as long as I stayed within my calories. It can be done but like others said, it can go a little slower.
  • caiialily
    caiialily Posts: 28
    Options
    Remember, exercise has other benefits aside from weight-loss. It's also essential for cardiovascular health and weight-bearing exercise in particular (walking, running, whatever) is also one of the best ways to help prevent fractures due to osteoporosis. Sometimes it takes a while to get into exercise, but you might find that you actually enjoy it after a while, especially if you can find a buddy to do it with you.

Best of luck!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a good place to start.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Few people like exercise which is why most fail in their efforts.
    Sure you can lose weight; it's possible, but don't count on anything lasting until you are ready to change your lifestyle.
    Optimal health and being fit is about doing some things we don't like.
    That's reality.
    All I can say is "Good Luck":ohwell:
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is controlled by creating a deficit of calories for the body.
    You can create a deficit by either eating less, or exercising to burn enough calories to create a deficit.
    Well if you exercise, I agree with the other people you will look a lot better and healthier.
    If you don't exercise you're going to lose a lot of lean mass but if you exercise you will retain your lean mass and more of the weight you lose will be fat.
    This means if you don't exercise but lose weight, you'll end up skinnyfat. (skinny, but flabby with no muscle tone)
    This is actually a mistake I made. I lost a lot of weight but still wasn't lean. I've been correcting this for the past 3 months by lifting weights and I've actually gained 20lbs, with my body fat percentage only going up 1.25%.
    Cardio of course has its benifits, but lifting weights is what will help you if you want a nice toned body.
    Don't be afraid to lift heavy weights, even if you're a woman. It will help you a lot.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    i agree with the majority here -- any form of exercise will really help. walking is greatly underestimated but put on some headphones start walking and the time will fly by. inclined walking is another great way to lose pounds without being too stressful. i know you said you hate sweating but it is an unfortunate neccessity if you really wanna drop the weight. best of luck.
  • thesmellofapples
    thesmellofapples Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i rarely EVER actually exercise and i've lost almost 50 pounds. i've tried various videos, i've gone to the gym, i've worked out with friends and nothing really clicked. i fully believe there is a workout out there for everyone. you need to keep trying things until you find something that works for you. and they don't have to be major, just something to get you moving. try going in your garage and finding that old hoola hoop or some roller blades; give some fun things a try. go to the mall a couple times a week and just walk. trying clothes on gets you moving a lot, too.

my only intended workout is swimming. it's the only way i can have fun working out and not sweating (yuck).

it's possible to lose weight without moving, much. exercise doesn't always have to be about following some chick's video or lifting weights. it can be fun. c:
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I also forgot to add that I agree with the person who said the last pounds are extremely difficult without exercise. I went from 140lbs at about 14%body fat to 130lbs and about 13%body fat. If you want to get to a low body fat percentage without having to lose tons of weight and look anorexic, I recommend you exercise.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can. Of course without exercise, your intake will have to be lower than those who do exercise. I did not like exercise... until I started doing it. Now, I drop things to go do it... It is so much a part of my routine. You have some good reasons to not do some types of exercise; however, other types may be more to your liking and be more appropriate for you. I don't do the C 2 5K program, but I have been active in a gym now for about 6 months and do strength training and treadmill or other aerobic exercise daily... Well-most days. I am 52 years old.

The other thing about not exercising is that you will drop weight but may still have quite a bit of fat left when you complete your endeavor. This is because you are not building muscle. You don't have to lift 200 lbs to benefit from strength training; just do something that requires a little work for your body. Find something active that you can enjoy doing and do it... It does not have to be expensive and it does not have to be hard... Just has to be active. I was 344 lbs in January and today I am 265. I have dropped this weight through both diet and exercise... When I first started... I did not feel like doing it.. But when I finally really started getting into it, I started enjoying it. I challenge you to find something active you can get into and do it... Best wishes on your journey.