Any ex vegans or vegetarians out there?

Options
I have been vegan for 4 years and vegetarian for at least 5 and I have so many health issues that it is making it almost impossible for me now. I am just wondering if any of you ex vegans or vegetarians have any advice or you regret going back to your meat eating ways.

I haven't started eating meat I am just trying to find a way to feel better. Thanks.

Replies

• garfieldb6
    garfieldb6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a former vegetarian (3 years) who's now a pescatarian. I was the same as you, having constant health issues, and unable to bounce back from even a cold. I noticed from tracking on here that I was usually way high in carbs and very low in protein no matter how hard I tried. I would also lose, then get sick and have to derail my exercising so I'd gain it back. I started eating fish again two weeks ago. I haven't really noticed changes one way or another yet, but am very comfortable in my decision. I was trying to research others who've made this change too, so I'm glad to see someone else who has questions. I also have osteoarthritis, so the fish will be helpful there too! Good luck in whatever you decide to do!:flowerforyou:
  • ibtough
    ibtough Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 2 years and started eating meat in moderation 4 weeks ago. I was having many health issues too plus gained about 15-20 pounds. I never felt full unless I had pasta or bread (all carbs) and then of course I had to have cheese etc... Wasn't sure how my body would adapt but it had no problem getting that first In n Out burger down protein style. :)
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 8 years and seriously, its probably why I weigh as much as I do now (ate waaay too many bowls of pasta and quesadillas). I never felt full on the proper serving sizes of pasta and tofu, and all the fake meats are full of such crap! Ive been a "recovering vegetarian" for about 3yrs now and I'd never go back. I still eat a lot of veggies, but feel so much more satisfied and full with meat in my meals. Plus I dont feel bloated and exhausted all the time, and I dont have to worry about secret animal products when I eat out anymore. So in my experience, its been positive. I suggest starting slow if you wanna ease into meat eating again. I had small pieces of chicken in salads, worked my way up to beef, and finally pork (I was most grossed out with pork so I saved it for last lol).
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Why don't you go see a registered dietician? He or she can help you eat well and get all your nutrients on a plant based diet.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    ZoeyRobinson Posts: 301
    Options
    I'm glad I am not the only one!

I have gastroparesis so I need low fiber.
    I have celiacs so no gluten
    I have hormonal imbalances so I need to avoid soy
    I am allergic to rice and citrus.

It is impossible to eat at a restaurant as a gluten free vegan.

SweetxCatastr- Did you lose weight once you added meat back into your diet?
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 3 years and vegan for about 6 months. I couldn't sustain it. I was tired 24/7 and was weak no matter what I did.

I'm a pescatarian now and I do eat some meat from time to time but I REALLY try to limit it because I don't like the taste/texture and it's a trigger for my IBS (and animal rights issues of course)
  • ZoeyRobinson
    Options
    Elf_Princess1, not being able to eat soy, gluten, citrus, rice, quinoa and most beans/lentils while staying on a low fiber diet confuses the hell out of dietitians. I have talked to 2 nutritionist and they both told me I should be eating meat.
  • lemasney
    lemasney Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm a flexitarian now, former vegetarian. e.g. I have meat on occasion -- not every day. No health issues or weight gain, I just enjoy meat from time to time, and don't have an issue with eating it in moderation, preferably where the animals were raised and killed humanely, etc. I don't typically go to McDonald's, as an example, but I won't say no to some chicken or turkey or tuna at my fave local restaurants or deli. I have regrets about other things, but not this.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I alternated between vego and vegan for a number of years... until i had to climb a mountain. That convinced me to eat meat.

It took me a long time to get back to eating meat - it tastes like the most disgusting thing ever at first, and something went awry with digesting it for a while. In spite of this, no regrets.
  • razors_girl23
    razors_girl23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Obviously it makes it hard for anyone with other nutritional requirements, but I second the seeing a nutritionist thing.

I've never felt better since being vegetarian and my nutritionist helped me with exactly what I should be eating. Quorn is a God send.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options

SweetxCatastr- Did you lose weight once you added meat back into your diet?

Probably a good 25lbs within 4-5 months..and that was eating still pretty bad but having protein. The difference between eating a huge bowl of pasta primavera (with the veggies) and eating a quarter of that same bowl with chicken on top was a big difference
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 4 and a half years.....several years ago. Unfortunately for me I was fairly young and I simply could not get enough iron in my diet (I was very anemic) and the iron supplements made me ill and were just not cutting it. So, I started first with fish and then incorporated other meats over time. It was a decision that I did not take lightly, I considered it prayerfully and at length but I do not regret it.
  • ZoeyRobinson
    Options
    razors_girl23, I can't eat Quorn because of the gluten and smoked flavoring.I am allergic to both.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Elf_Princess1, not being able to eat soy, gluten, citrus, rice, quinoa and most beans/lentils while staying on a low fiber diet confuses the hell out of dietitians. I have talked to 2 nutritionist and they both told me I should be eating meat.

I can see why that stuff would be bad for you though. :) I hope you can find a diet that works for you.

Edited cause I got confused :)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian, vegan, raw vegan & pescatarian. Ha! I tried it all. Oh, and then I was Paleo for a while after all that. Now I eat a little of everything and feel great :)
  • ZoeyRobinson
    Options
    Elf_ Princess1

Thanks! I am glad veganism is working for you! :)
  • Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for ethical reasons. Then I started eating meat. It's something I think about often. I am a very sensitive person. I only eat free-range ethically grown meat and think of it this way. Animals eat other animals, thats the way it is. If it wasn't for the fact that we are eating these animals, they'd have no life at all, they wouldn't be born they wouldn't exist. Now they exist, they're going to die some day anyway. Not eating them isn't going to save their life.The ethically raised ones have a pretty good life. The cattle get to drink yummy warm milk, then play in the fields with their friends and eat delicious green grass for three years. Now that ain't a bad life. Then I think of their slaughter as a sacrifice and I thank them for giving their lives. I know my ideas may sound strange and like a cop out. But think being able to include such dense protein in my diet is wonderful priviledge.

I hate cage eggs
    I hate feed lots
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Been vegetarian for almost 25 years without any diet related health issues. Frankly I don't find it all too difficult. I eat a very low (to no) sugar diet. I've never been over BMI for my height (not even now at age 39). The only reason I'm losing weight now is I gained 10 stress/process food pounds in grad school.

Are you eating clean? What sort of health problems are you experiencing (getting sick is vague)? How do you know these problems are related to being veg? I'd see a dietician if you are having trouble understanding how to balance a veg. meal. And to the person above who mentioned it, a healthy vegetarian does not rely on those fake meats they are mainly meant to transition omnis to veg. They are fine occasionally but at some point one has to learn how to cook veg. or it is a losing battle. And that doesn't mean loading up on carbs. There was an amazing set of long term studies conducted that found being veg. and low carb was remarkably healthier than other way of eating. Not saying it's the only way but being veg can be an extraordinarily healthy lifestyle for many. If this thread is still going on tomorrow I'll give you the link to that study (I'm on my phone right now).

What we do in life depends on what's important to us. If it is not important we won't put the effort into it. That's up to you ---everyone has different priorities. Good luck.

ETA: drat I spent so much time typing this on my phone I missed all that stuff you are allergic to. Hmmm sounds like any diet would be hard for you. I know some celiac vegans but I don't think they have those other allergies. Can you have mushrooms? They have a good deal of protein. I do hope you get this sorted soon.
  • SuperVegan8
    SuperVegan8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It sounds like youre not getting all the nutrients you require. I dont mean to sound rude but i'd see a nutritionist/dietition to ensure that you are getting the foods and vitamins you require.

If you are eating the right variety of foods and youre still getting sick - see a doctor because it probably means your body isnt absorbing things for whatever reason. I doubt changing from vegetarian/vegan diet back to meat will help if that is the case - also if you are reintroducing meat into your diet be aware that it will probably make you feel sick (ive seen a few people do it and their body took a while to readjust).

All the best.
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Not to sound rude, but how are you still alive? I have a friend who appears to be allergic to everything under the sun. I don't know how she's still alive either.

ETA: Rhetorical question :) Hope you figure your diet out!