Frozen veggies/fruits

Options
ReinasWrath
ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
I like to buy frozen fruits/veggies since they can keep longer and are cheaper.. I'd like to think they are the same as fresh ones but if I have learned anything it is that I'm always wrong about this kind of stuff :grumble: So do they lose a dramatic amount of nutrients or anything??

Replies

• TheFitFireman
    TheFitFireman Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Canned veggies lose nutrients, but frozen fruits and vegetables are frozen at their peak ripeness which is when they're the most nutrient dense.

http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/nutrition_news_information/fresh_vs_frozen_vegetables_are_we_giving_up_nutrition_fo
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    The frozen veggies may even be better than buying "fresh" unless you are buying things that were grown locally. You never know how long things have been sitting around or how far they have traveled.

Plus frozen fruit makes a really good snack. :bigsmile: It's better than ice cream.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think they are a good option.
    I prefer the fresh stuff because I like the texture better, but frozen are a very good choice if that is what you have access to.

PS. just read the ingredients label to make sure they haven't added sugar or salt or "flavourings". Or, if they have, be aware of how much and decide if it's a problem or a bonus!