Mesurements Question

prohappy
prohappy Posts: 30
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone know exactly where to measure for the waist & hips?
I'm using my middle for my waist and across the belly button for hips.. am I doing it wrong?

Replies

• tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    I know for Waist your will want to do it a inch above your belly button. for hips i always do the widest part
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,493 Member
    I know for Waist your will want to do it a inch above your belly button. for hips i always do the widest part

Yeah, the widest part for your hips...
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    as long as you always do it the same way, you'll be able to keep an eye on your progress.

I use a certain freckle on my upper arm to help guide me, that way I'm always doing it the same. That's all that matters:flowerforyou:
  • tazspastic
    tazspastic Posts: 62 Member
    Your waist can actually vary dramatically too depending on the length of your torso. If you stand up straight in front of a mirror and bend to the side slightly you'll get a crease and THAT is your waist line. Measure straight around from there. For me its two inches above my belly button and includes my bottom rib, but I have no torso... I'm all legs.:laugh:

As for your hips, find the widest part... for me that's around my bum, but for my step-mom it was around the tops of her legs, so do a little experimenting to see where it works best for your body. Some say 9 inches below your waist is a good rule of thumb to go by too.

Hope that helps :wink:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    I measure my smallest and biggest parts around my abdomen.
  • For most people, the natural waist is 1" above their belly button. But this is not true for everyone. It should be the smallest part of your torso, where you bend if you lean from side to side. For me it is actually 1" below my belly button. Hips should be measured at widest part, typically what touches the chair when you sit down.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Shape.com has a good explanation for all parts.
This discussion has been closed.