Rude housemates :(

Options
hbunting86
hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
Gah

I'd had a really good day today - productive, went for a workout this morning, followed by 8 hours in the office, grocery shopping etc.

Came to meal time, I decided to make a thai chicken larb recipe thing with brown rice.

Anyway, I'm happily cooking away - extractor fan on etc, ate my meal, boxed up leftovers for tomorrow and then a yell from upstairs...

"Is that you cooking down there?"
"Yes"
"Open the doors and windows because it stinks"

Is it just me or is that a little bit rude?! I had the extractor on - and I wasn't even using garlic or anything pungent like that.

I'm a bit p'd off actually because surely it'dve been a little more polite to say "I can smell it upstairs, can you open the door please?" Like MANNERS. FFS I hate living with people. It's hardly my fault there are no windows upstairs and only two downstairs.

Am I right to feel a little upset/miffed?

Replies

• Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I think you may be taking it a bit too much to heart.

If anything thats just an invitation to cook something really smelly next time. Im a fan of yellow fish.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Sure, it's rude, but don't let it ruin your day.

Enjoy your dinner and your leftovers, don't worry about your housemate. Although it probably does smell, so it would be polite for you to put on the fan while you cook..... just because they are rude, doesn't mean you have to be!
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Yes, how they said it is rude.

I'd be a bit miffed myself, but I'd get over it quickly.

If I was your housemate, I would be asking if I can come down and eat with you. I love thai chicken! Yum!
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    I'd say a bit sensitive on your part and bit childish / grumpy on their part.

It probably smelled great and you made them hungry. We all know people get mean when they're hungry.

Don't let it ruin your day. Next time someone asks if you're cooking a meal, just say "No!" and ignore them!
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Don't stress, sometimes those fans aren't strong enough. Your housemates were just too lazy (or busy) to come down and tell you face to face. Smells get people in different ways- my husband wants to hurl every time I use sweet chili sauce on anything, and I'm the same whenever he cooks anything with beef.

If there is a pattern of rudeness, than that's another issue- but as for this, don't stress. Don't let it stop you from cooking whatever you want- just know to open a window.
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    That is exactly how I would say it.
    The perfect answer would have been, "No, it is I, The Doctor."
    Or some other irrelevant character that is more relevant in your home.
    Witty Banter is a life skill.
  • daimoslain
    daimoslain Posts: 16
    Options
    I know thai food does usually smells out my flat with the extractor fan and with the aircon, but my partner doesn't seem to care. I wouldn't take notice to be honest if the meal was statifying that your only concern :).
  • hbunting86
    Options
    Yeah doesn't help it's chucking it down and the other flatmate closed the windows (which are always left open) - I had the fan on, and I've left it on now and opened the windows (if the carpets get wet then that's up to them).

To be fair she probably doesn't know what real food is anyway because she never ever cooks at home (literally), and lives on McDonalds and toasted sandwiches.
  • antw23uk
    antw23uk Posts: 3
    Options
    I don;t house share but i always have the doors to the garden open and the fan on because i know how food smells can linger so I do think you should have done that. However don't stress about it, they are clearly rude fools and it will come back on them as bad karma.
    Enjoy your day and I hope your dinner was lovely :O)
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
  • superrjo
    superrjo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I lived with four people last year who were complete strangers at the start of the year. But when you live with people, you establish a certain type of relationship with them. I wouldve probably said something like that to one of them, and vice versa. I cant see it being meant spitefully. You live with them! You shouldnt have to speak to each other like you would to a work acquaintance..
  • hbunting86
    Options
    Hehe I'm gonna read that link.

I text my housemate and said sorry, I didn't realise you could smell it (genuinely didn't! - I'm one of those bit hyper-sensitive people who takes things to heart and always doubt myself, I HATE upsetting people). She said it's cool she thought it was our other housemate who has a tendency to burn the house down... so she woke up and wondered if he was up to his old tricks....

Damn me and my fatalistic thinking :(
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    No garlic? Then that was not laarb :0

Next time get yourself some pickled mudfish, then they will really know what stinky is. (married 11 years to a thai man, trust me, pickled mudfish reaks.) lol

And yes, your roommate lacks basic conversational manners but don't let it bother you, next time cook with the door shut & open a window, some people are just really sensitive to smell, esp asian cooking smells.
  • snw_
    snw_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it came out a little rude, but im guessing anyone with housemates is going to be on the youngside so their talent for the rude is most likely in high order still. back when i had roommates, **** like this would happen. id minimiza the smells with open windows and/or incense and when if/when they did the same to me, id ezpect the same. dont let rude ppl ryuin your night though.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I think you're being a little sensitive. I've had roommates say and do SOOO much worse!
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Smoked haddock next time sweetheart! :wink:

I can well remember living with some idiotic people when I was a student and I can feel for you. At some stage you'll have you're own house and then you can do what you like without anyone else making it messy or moaning about things. It's bliss I tell you. x
  • Scoobies100
    Options
    I'm going to say this in the nicest way possible.... but get over it. If that is all you have to worry about with your house mates then seriously I wouldn't worry! Smile and carry on :smile:
  • hbunting86
    Options
    Haha the funny thing is all 3 of my housemates are older than my by about 10 years! Haha so much for being mature students.

Oh we've had much worse things in the time I've been here - people falling out over silly chores and stuff, but things have been on an even keel for a while and I was enjoying it - I'd hate to be the one to rock the boat!

Yep one day I'll get my own house/apartment again - I'd forgotten what an annoyance human beings are ;)

H
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    it's not really that bad, i would have said the same thing if someone was cooking something that smelt.
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I think you may be taking it a bit too much to heart.

If anything thats just an invitation to cook something really smelly next time. Im a fan of yellow fish.

MUAH HA HAAAAAAAA! I agree :-D