Alpiste/Canary Seed

Options
Has anyone tried this? Apparently drinking one glass of this milk before you eat when you wake up, and another before you go to bed will help you in your weight loss journey. My mother swears by this and says it's what got her blood sugar down (she's diabetic) - she doesn't need insulin anymore.

I've been trying it but haven't been doing it long enough to see if it's working. I imagine it's also hard to see if it's because of the alpiste alone or the other changes to my diet.

Anyway, just curious to see if anyone's tried it.

For those who haven't heard of it, you can buy it at most Mexican stores. It must be the canary seeds harvested for human consumption. You leave about 5 tbsps of the seeds soaking in some water overnight. In the morning, you drain the water and put the seeds with new water in a blender. You drink the liquid. You can also buy a powdered mix that you mix with water (this is what I'm currently trying).

More info: http://mcnacho.hubpages.com/hub/AlpisteCanarySeed

Replies

• teamfit2day
    teamfit2day Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yes it does work. My mother uses it and many of her friends. They have all lost weight and kept it off, while also eating right of course. My little brother is diabetic and it helps his insulin as well so their is definitely a huge health benefit to it.
  • cacolorado
    cacolorado Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    just got some to try - will post about it once I've experimented with it
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Sounds like another woo-filled item like ACV that won't do anything for weight loss
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Nice necro. No, eating some seeds won't help you lose weight. Could be a nutritious addition to a smoothie or something, depending on what's in them.